Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422778 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #4245 on: October 31, 2011, 12:20:14 am »

1. How do I make a creature more resistant to losing consciousness due to pain without making it immune? I know there are tags like [NOSTUN] and [NOPAIN], but I want them to feel pain (they seem slowed by it), and preferably still lose consciousness though not as early as they do. I'm thinking a higher willpower stat might help with that. If I'm right then I still have no idea what value to set it to, so I'm hoping someone has already experimented with this and can give me some tips.

2. Is it possible to make dwarves switch targets after a while? You've probably noticed that when a creature falls unconscious they concentrate on the head. At first glance this makes sense, but there's a point where you'd hope they aim somewhere else after the tenth blow to the giant's helmet-wearing head glances away. Or to go help out their mates who are fighting still-conscious monsters. This is probably an AI issue so it's a hell of a long shot that this can be modded, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

3. Other than modding in single-item "full plate mail" or something like that, is there a way of making invaders wear more armor? You've probably noticed how they only wear helmets and a breastplate at best, the rest of their gear being clothing.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: October 31, 2011, 01:03:05 am »

So trying to mod in my dwarf-analogue race from DnD into Dwarf Fortress.

Solved, skin-scales, having four legs (yay HAND_FOOT_CENTAUR, etc.).  However, being sort of cave gecko centaur people, I'm pondering how to get them to climb, and whether they could have [grasp] for the feet.  Not sure how to change the feet in the creatures_standard entry, without going and changing the HAND_FOOT_CENTAUR plan.

Also, they are canonically blind with echolocation.  Any ideas how to implement that?  (Lastly, making them human-sized seems to make all human armor and stuff "small".  Unsure why.)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: October 31, 2011, 01:21:21 am »

You'll have to go to body_xxx and edit the specific bodyparts from there.

For echolocation, you could use the creature_xxx.txt exclusive tag [EXTRAVISION]. That allows the creature to see things even when blind.

Alternatively, make another eyeball body part definition, remove it's [SIGHT]s, make a new ear body part definition, then add [SIGHT]. That way, they'll be able to see things when their ears are intact, but when both ears are cut, they become blind. These things should be done on a body_xxx.txt file.

You could add [GRASP] on their feet, not sure if the game gives them a boot or a glove when both tags are present.

You can't make them climb up walls, unfortunately.

EDIT: Are their feet webbed, or hooved? Because HAND_FOOT_CENTAUR uses hooves.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Zidana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: October 31, 2011, 02:09:25 am »

Is it possible to use the caste system to control which castes of a creature will spawn in a given biome?

Specifically, I want to make Koopa Troopas which appear in different biomes depending on their color. Blues in tundras and glaciers, Yellows in deserts, Greens in woodlands, Reds in caverns, etc. Can i just stick a new [BIOME:XXX] tag in each color-coded caste and cause only those castes to spawn on only those biomes?

Or do I actually have to make 4 different Koopa Troopa creature entries, one for each biome?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: October 31, 2011, 02:59:43 am »

I'm pretty sure you can't use castes to define which castes appear in which biome, but frankly, there isn't much !!science!! on that aspect, so I might be wrong.

You could try, and see if the errorlog pops something after worldgenning.

Zidana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: October 31, 2011, 03:28:23 am »

I'm pretty sure you can't use castes to define which castes appear in which biome, but frankly, there isn't much !!science!! on that aspect, so I might be wrong.

You could try, and see if the errorlog pops something after worldgenning.

Thanks for the help. Guess I'll go ahead and write it and see what happens. 20-caste monstrosity of a creature, GO!

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: October 31, 2011, 04:17:01 am »

1. How do I make a creature more resistant to losing consciousness due to pain without making it immune? I know there are tags like [NOSTUN] and [NOPAIN], but I want them to feel pain (they seem slowed by it), and preferably still lose consciousness though not as early as they do. I'm thinking a higher willpower stat might help with that. If I'm right then I still have no idea what value to set it to, so I'm hoping someone has already experimented with this and can give me some tips.

2. Is it possible to make dwarves switch targets after a while? You've probably noticed that when a creature falls unconscious they concentrate on the head. At first glance this makes sense, but there's a point where you'd hope they aim somewhere else after the tenth blow to the giant's helmet-wearing head glances away. Or to go help out their mates who are fighting still-conscious monsters. This is probably an AI issue so it's a hell of a long shot that this can be modded, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

3. Other than modding in single-item "full plate mail" or something like that, is there a way of making invaders wear more armor? You've probably noticed how they only wear helmets and a breastplate at best, the rest of their gear being clothing.
1.Set the Willpower to over 4000. 5000 is maximum I believe. They'll still fall unconcious after a while though.

2.Don't think so, it's an AI thing as you said.

3.Don't think so. Even if you did add that, they might not wear it, and carry on as they were with clothes.

How would I make a certain creature's bones harder to damage? Would I have to make a new bone material just for that creature or can I modify the hardness in the creature file?
Also, is there any way to attach a syndrome to a projectile like a bolt or increase a weapon's rate of fire?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:11:38 am by Dalkar »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: October 31, 2011, 08:21:09 am »

has anyone managed to mod in pearls, and if not, how would I go about doing this? I want to do a seaside fort with pearls and pearl crafts as the centerpiece of the economy.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: October 31, 2011, 08:24:25 am »

Is it possible to use the caste system to control which castes of a creature will spawn in a given biome?

Specifically, I want to make Koopa Troopas which appear in different biomes depending on their color. Blues in tundras and glaciers, Yellows in deserts, Greens in woodlands, Reds in caverns, etc. Can i just stick a new [BIOME:XXX] tag in each color-coded caste and cause only those castes to spawn on only those biomes?

Or do I actually have to make 4 different Koopa Troopa creature entries, one for each biome?

Just to confirm, biomes are among the tags that are creature-level rather than caste-level:

The number of tokens that are creature rather than caste specific is very small.  Creatures handle the overall name, biome, whether the creature is considered fanciful/doesn't exist (for art), vermin information (so, no, Fault, sorry!... too much depends on that right now), whether groups hang together closely, whether it is mundane (from real Earth for age name purposes), population information including good/evil/savage, if it is equipment, sphere information (not sure how long that'll last, but there were annoyances), and that looks like it (they also have some general categories that have caste overrides, like child names and speeches for adv mode).  Everything else, including body information, is held in the castes.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: October 31, 2011, 08:24:46 am »

I haven't done it, but you could put in a type of gem called a pearl, make it not appear anywhere, and make a custom reaction to turn an oyster into a pearl. 
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: October 31, 2011, 09:43:33 am »

I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that an oyster(and mussel) produces a shell when cleaned, and have say, a 5% chance of a pearl being found, if thats possible. If not, then I'll go with your suggestion
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: October 31, 2011, 10:15:35 am »

I don't think that its that possible to do it. You might be able to add a body part that was called "unpolished pearl" or something like that that you then processed into a "polished pearl", but other than that I don't think its possible unlike how Gizogin said.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: October 31, 2011, 10:41:36 am »

How does fish processing exactly work on shelled creatures? Isn't it possible make another shell body part to serve as a pearl?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: October 31, 2011, 11:04:26 am »

I believe fish processing just looks at the creature and checks if it has a body part made out of a material with the [SHELL] token and if so, generates a shell.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zidana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: October 31, 2011, 02:53:59 pm »

Just to confirm, biomes are among the tags that are creature-level rather than caste-level:

Thanks for confirming! Saved me some work! :D
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 357