Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422802 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #4215 on: October 30, 2011, 09:21:06 am »

EDIT: Also curious about these as well:
[MINIMUM_SIZE:15000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]

Minimum size is the minimum size the creature has to be in order to use the weapon at all.  I hear it can get a little weird about adventurers(adventurers don't even need something to be a weapon in order to use it as one so that sorta makes sense) and sieges(probably a bug), but that's the general rule, and it works in fortress mode.

Materiel size is SUPPOSED to determine how much materiel is required to make the object.  (It used to be 1 metal bar per 3 materiel size when made of standard metals) but with the rewrite to how metal bars work, anything under Materiel size 150 just uses one bar of metal, and none of the vanilla numbers were changed to reflect that.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:23:52 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: October 30, 2011, 09:28:59 am »

Thanks for the help guys, I'll bother you with just one more question :P:
[ATTACK:EDGE:10:10000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
What's the last bit do/mean?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: October 30, 2011, 09:34:36 am »

it is the velocity multiplier.  I think 1000 is normal.

Though I'm not sure on the specifics it seems to multiply the power of an attack, like to simulate leverage on something like a long handled hammer or something.  1000 multiplies the values x1 2000 multiplies x2 500 multiplies x0.5, etc.

Most things like swords seem to have their values at around 1250.  Spears, since they aren't being swung in a way that applies leverage only get 1000.  Many bludgeoning weapons get 2000 since most of their weight is on the end, using force applied to the handle more efficiently.  While whips are at 5000 just because they are tiny little nearly game breaking lightsabers of doom.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:40:23 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: October 30, 2011, 10:45:20 am »

What do the [UBSTEP:1] and [LBSTEP:1] tags on armour do? I'm guessing it's something to do with mobility.

abahaty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: October 30, 2011, 11:47:34 am »

Hi i was planning on making a caged monster spawning workshop similar to those of Shaostoul's workshop but im not clear on where to find the caged animal files. Any idea where i could get hold of them?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: October 30, 2011, 11:50:16 am »

Unfortunately, you cannot make creatures via workshops; the best result you can get is a vermin-sized elephant that does nothing, so yeah.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: October 30, 2011, 04:00:39 pm »

If you have a caste that is supposed to be a separate creature from the main race, how would you stop the caste creature from taking on the main race's body plan etc?
For example if I have a dragonman creature, and I want some humans to be it's slaves or whatever, how would I stop the humans having the body plan and stuff from the dragonman creature?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: October 30, 2011, 04:07:38 pm »

Define the body separately under each caste instead of at the creature level. That should allow every caste to have its own distinct body setup. keep in mind that having multiple "creatures" as castes does mean that if two of them get married they can have children of either caste though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: October 30, 2011, 04:13:22 pm »

Define the body separately under each caste instead of at the creature level. That should allow every caste to have its own distinct body setup. keep in mind that having multiple "creatures" as castes does mean that if two of them get married they can have children of either caste though.

As a follow up, I was wondering if you define a caste without a [MALE] or [FEMALE] tag will that caste be sterile? Meaning you could have genetic off shoots in a creature that can be made by the normal male and female, but then wouldn't be able to mate? (Could make more realistic Mules that way.)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: October 30, 2011, 04:13:52 pm »

Yes.

Defeatist Elitist

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Non, je ne regrette rien.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: October 30, 2011, 04:55:54 pm »

So I've been fairly casually modding DF, mostly trying to add monsters from various other fantasy sources.  Most recently, I've been trying to add Purple Worms (most well known from the D&D franchise), and I've been mostly successful, though I do have a small problem.

You see, I've successfully given my Worm a bite attack, but I've been trying rather hard, and without a great deal of success, to give it an attack where it slams the target with its body.
Code: [Select]
[ATTACK:SLAM:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:BODY]
[ATTACK_SKILL:WRESTLING]
[ATTACK_VERB:slam:slams]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
  I've tried various things, including using UPPERBODY/BODY_UPPER instead of BODY, and using striking instead of wrestling as a skill, but every time I test it in the arena I seem unable to actually use this attack.  My suspicion right now is that either a) there's a problem with SLAM being used after "ATTACK" and that it needs to be a term the game recognizes, or b) that only certain body parts can be used for attacks, but I'm not particularily sure of either.

Either way, can anybody see where I went wrong here?
We exist to cease.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: October 30, 2011, 05:30:15 pm »

*Please modding gods give me the knowledge to assist my fellow theme-less casual modder*

Ok SLAM should be fine, it's just the name of the attack internally, it could probably be DANCE as far as I am aware with no issues.  Also the skill used should not matter, BODY is a valid category for many of the vanilla body types and there should be no limitation on what bodyparts can be used in an attack...

From your wording I assume you controlled the critter yourself already to see if it could use the attack at all.  Which parts are you using in the creature's [BODY: tag?  A worm like body could probably be done in a few diffrent ways, it looked like you covered the usual category names already, but it might give some more insight.

Also, anything coming up in the errorlog.txt file?  Anything about undefined tissues or failing to link an attack to a tissue?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:31:46 pm by Greiger »

Defeatist Elitist

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Non, je ne regrette rien.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: October 30, 2011, 05:35:43 pm »

My Body definitions are basically all here:
Code: [Select]
[BODY:BODY_WITH_HEAD_FLAG:HEART:GUTS:BRAIN:THROAT:MOUTH:GENERIC_TEETH]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
[RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH:20]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SINEW:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
[TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:400]
[LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:400]
errorlog.txt seems to be just telling me "PURPLEWORM:Attack SLAM seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added", so I guess that means it couldn't find the right body part, which confuses me, because I've tried a bunch of different ones, and it's the same message over and over.

And you guessed correctly, I've directly controlled the creature to test it.

Thanks for the help by the way.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:37:43 pm by Defeatist Elitist »
We exist to cease.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: October 30, 2011, 05:40:53 pm »

No probs, and I think I found your issue.  BODY_WITH_HEAD_FLAG is an unusual one and is defined as category HEAD not category BODY.  Try changing your attack to be ...:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD instead of ...:BY_CATEGORY:BODY.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:45:48 pm by Greiger »
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 357