Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422889 times)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3585 on: August 12, 2011, 01:46:51 am »

You're not removing the TISSUE bone from the body plans - just altering it to use a different material. Since you never add the bone material to cats or dragons, you can never have cat or dragon bones (or preferences for them, woot!) - just your generic "animal bone". And your cats and dragons still have a bone material for their bone tissues, it's just a material that belongs to another creature (the dummy creature).

I went through and started doing this for all materials for all creatures but stopped after the first few creature files. On the one hand it would be nice to not have mandates for squirrel tooth items, for example ("animal tooth" gives so many more possibilities!), but part of the fun is getting such absurd requests.

Still, if you release this when you're done (as I see you have the leather modifications) I'll probably give it a shot. Sometimes simplification is relaxing and lets you focus on other aspects of the game more fully.

Yeah. I wrote a Ruby script that automatically parses the RAW folder and edits the creatures to have different body plans. The idea is for all 1x Mult creatures to have one thing, all 2x Mult creatures to have a separate thing, etc.

And it runs in under 5 seconds on my computer. Bam! 322 creatures edited. (Well, slightly less, but I digress) Anyway, I'm having trouble getting it to work for bones. Would you care overmuch if we continued this discussion via PMs? Having trouble getting the bone to work properly, and I think I could use a second set of eyes.

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: August 12, 2011, 02:11:27 am »

Unless I'm mistaken, you shouldn't need to edit creatures individually, and you can just change the TISSUE_MATERIAL tag in the default [TISSUE_TEMPLATE:BONE_TEMPLATE] to refer to CREATURE_MAT:DUMMY_CREATURE:BONE (or whatever your dummy creature is called) rather than LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BONE.

Now, if you want multiple different 'levels' of bone material based on the material value, you'll need to create a second tissue template for the other level of bone, and simply update the creature raws that should be referring to that one by either applying a different body detail plan, or by modifying the tissue material immediately after the tissue body detail plan is specified, e.g. [SELECT_TISSUE:BONE][TISSUE_MATERIAL:CREATURE_MAT:DUMMY_CREATURE:BONE_LEVEL2] immediately after [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES] - assuming you've defined a BONE_LEVEL2 creature mat on the dummy creature.  I think this method should still produce only one creature bone entry, since both materials would be coming from the same creature?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: August 12, 2011, 10:13:55 am »

And also for weapon materials is the only thing that influences it's ability to cut well it's [MAX_EDGE:X] tag?

Not at all. In fact, pretty much every metal available has the same MAX_EDGE. What does effect it is shear strength and all kinds of things. Compare copper to steel and steel to adamantine to see better.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: August 12, 2011, 12:11:37 pm »

I wonder..

Is it possible to make giant termites (No, I'm not actually making them) that eat only wood using the SPECIFIC_FOOD token?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3589 on: August 12, 2011, 12:58:23 pm »

I wonder..

Is it possible to make giant termites (No, I'm not actually making them) that eat only wood using the SPECIFIC_FOOD token?

I'm pretty sure that SPECIFIC_FOOD only applies to grazers, and grazers only eat grass.  So no, I don't think it's possible to do this.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: August 12, 2011, 01:09:47 pm »

I was wondering, would it be possible to mod in 2 handed weapons just for dwarfs? i like the idea of say, having a dwarven great axe, which would be 2 handed but more powerful than a battle axe.

I added in slings (and sling bullets) however, enemies spawned with them don't carry many, do i need to play around with quivers or something?
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: August 12, 2011, 01:27:02 pm »

And also for weapon materials is the only thing that influences it's ability to cut well it's [MAX_EDGE:X] tag?

Not at all. In fact, pretty much every metal available has the same MAX_EDGE. What does effect it is shear strength and all kinds of things. Compare copper to steel and steel to adamantine to see better.

So what would be the most reliable way to make a weapon better for cutting, And I though shear strength impacted how good it was at protecting from cutting weapons, or does it do that and its cutting power?

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: August 12, 2011, 01:37:59 pm »

I was wondering, would it be possible to mod in 2 handed weapons just for dwarfs? i like the idea of say, having a dwarven great axe, which would be 2 handed but more powerful than a battle axe.

I added in slings (and sling bullets) however, enemies spawned with them don't carry many, do i need to play around with quivers or something?
Easy. Edit the weapon the RAWS. Give a weapon a two-handed size that's just the smallest bit smaller than all dwarves, and an "unusable" size that's just the smallest bit bigger than the biggest dwarf.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: August 12, 2011, 01:50:26 pm »

Easy. Edit the weapon the RAWS. Give a weapon a two-handed size that's just the smallest bit smaller than all dwarves, and an "unusable" size that's just the smallest bit bigger than the biggest dwarf.

like this? ( i believe dwarfs are size 60,000?)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: August 12, 2011, 06:17:27 pm »

I think minimum size should be smaller than the two-handed size.  I believe creatures can only use weapons if they are larger than the minimum size, and will wield them in two hands if they can use them and are smaller than the two-handed size.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: August 12, 2011, 06:20:09 pm »

Blowgunners automatically spawn carrying little ammo, so if you're slings use the blowgun skill, that's what causing the problem.
Mods I've done:

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: August 12, 2011, 06:36:45 pm »

Im making a 40k mod....but te game crashes when I try to spawn gretchin
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Credit goes to Deon for the bulk of the Orks' body( At the moment).
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: August 12, 2011, 06:41:23 pm »

the MALE_GRETCHIN and FEMALE_GRETCHIN castes don't have bodies (No BODY tag).  That might cause a crash on placing one.
Mods I've done:

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: August 12, 2011, 07:31:14 pm »

Is it nessescary for a creature to have a bodypart with [stance]. Would it be possinle to create a flying creature with no arms or legs? How would this work?

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: August 14, 2011, 01:16:44 am »

Is it possible to change which list of words the names of worlds (During world-gen, e.g. The Oracular Realms; The Land of Enchanting) are drawn from, or is that functionality hard-coded?
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 357