Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 421625 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #330 on: May 20, 2010, 04:24:48 pm »

Thanks for that Mephansteras.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 21, 2010, 04:23:53 am »

Ah, dammit.

Gotta change it then :3 Thanks guys. Look for more of my questions :P

Those new raws are still confusing me...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 21, 2010, 12:07:22 pm »

Hey, if I remove [RESPONSIBILITY:UPGRADE_SQUAD_EQUIPMENT] from the Arsenal Dwarf, he won't randomly assign new crap to my army in the middle of a battle, right?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 21, 2010, 12:35:31 pm »

Random thing I just discovered from Toady:

Items created in a workshop appear at the place where the dwarf does their work.

I learned this because was seeing if I could create a poison gas trap. I'd been hoping that the item would show up in the middle of the workshop, but no such luck. Still doable, but you'd have to either sacrifice the dwarf or make dwarves immune to whatever the poison was.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 22, 2010, 01:52:58 am »

Can I have a different creature description for each caste? For example, can I have male dwarves be "short and bearded creatures fond of industry" and females "short creatures who ponder jewels and the shapes of the stone"?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 22, 2010, 08:18:12 am »

Can I have a different creature description for each caste? For example, can I have male dwarves be "short and bearded creatures fond of industry" and females "short creatures who ponder jewels and the shapes of the stone"?

You can do this. I find it hilarious that female dwarves are described to have beards.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Chuckster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 22, 2010, 12:47:55 pm »

Hello I'm pretty new to modding DF and having trouble with breath attacks for a creature.
So I have a material template and the token assigned in the creature, but every time I test it in the arena it just shoots a solid glob that passes through every hit.

Do I have to actually set a layer of that template for the creature to use?

Here's the template name
Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BULLET_BASIC_TEMPLATE]and the token I use for the creature
[MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:BULLET_BASIC_TEMPLATE:Bullet:SOLID_GLOB]

Azgog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 22, 2010, 12:52:48 pm »

Didn't feel like starting a new thread for this, so I'm asking this here.

I'm having a slight problem with my worldgen not placing custom creatures. They're in a file named creature_new. Does it have to be linked to something or what am I missing here? I put some stuff to pre-existing creature files earlier and some of it worked. Custom named creature files from mods seem to work though, so it's probably something i'm doing wrong rather than something up with the game.
"I REQUIRE LUMBER"
"We have plenty of lumber"
".... BUT I WANT THIS KIND!"
"What kind?"
"THE KIND WHERE YOU SHUT THE HELL UP!"

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 22, 2010, 01:03:45 pm »

Didn't feel like starting a new thread for this, so I'm asking this here.

I'm having a slight problem with my worldgen not placing custom creatures. They're in a file named creature_new. Does it have to be linked to something or what am I missing here? I put some stuff to pre-existing creature files earlier and some of it worked. Custom named creature files from mods seem to work though, so it's probably something i'm doing wrong rather than something up with the game.
Did you remember to add
creature_new

[OBJECT:CREATURE]
to the top of the file?

Hello I'm pretty new to modding DF and having trouble with breath attacks for a creature.
So I have a material template and the token assigned in the creature, but every time I test it in the arena it just shoots a solid glob that passes through every hit.

Do I have to actually set a layer of that template for the creature to use?

Here's the template name
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BULLET_BASIC_TEMPLATE]and the token I use for the creature
[MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:BULLET_BASIC_TEMPLATE:Bullet:SOLID_GLOB]

Try the following instead of the current MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BULLET:BULLET_BASIC_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BULLET:SOLID_GLOB]
I'm pretty sure material templates cannot be used as materials.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Azgog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 22, 2010, 01:09:31 pm »

Did you remember to add
creature_new

[OBJECT:CREATURE]
to the top of the file?
Yep, that was it. Thanks man.
"I REQUIRE LUMBER"
"What kind?"

Chuckster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 22, 2010, 01:59:24 pm »

Try the following instead of the current MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BULLET:BULLET_BASIC_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BULLET:SOLID_GLOB]
I'm pretty sure material templates cannot be used as materials.

Well now they are shooting their own body parts disguised as bullets. This just causes massive bruising and no actual bullet effects on impact...
Well I need to finish making them have metal skin, but isn't there a way to specify what material or item you want them to attack with?

Azgog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 22, 2010, 04:12:21 pm »

Worldgen still doesn't place some creatures from the file, any idea why that might be? The creatures that aren't placed are primarily evil, which might be one reason since I genned a world that doesn't have large good/evil areas (to prevent the creation of good/evil mountain ranges and oceans), so could it be just that there isn't enough room for them? Some of the creatures include swamp trolls and  mountain trolls which are basically identical to vanilla trolls except for different size and skin colour, so I don't think there's anything wrong with he code.
"I REQUIRE LUMBER"
"What kind?"

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 22, 2010, 05:03:15 pm »

Well now they are shooting their own body parts disguised as bullets. This just causes massive bruising and no actual bullet effects on impact...
Well I need to finish making them have metal skin, but isn't there a way to specify what material or item you want them to attack with?
They're not shooting body parts, just like a GCS doesn't inject its body parts. I suspect that your bullet material might not be strong enough, thanks to the existing material problems (partially because cloth appears to be too good at blocking damage). A solid glob attack with INORGANIC:IRON rather than LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BULLET works well enough against an unarmored character, bruises a character clad in rope reed, and is rather ineffectual against characters clad in iron.
Slade on the other hand, can be deadly even if blocked by cloth. Try increasing the density of the bullet material.

Worldgen still doesn't place some creatures from the file, any idea why that might be? The creatures that aren't placed are primarily evil, which might be one reason since I genned a world that doesn't have large good/evil areas (to prevent the creation of good/evil mountain ranges and oceans), so could it be just that there isn't enough room for them? Some of the creatures include swamp trolls and  mountain trolls which are basically identical to vanilla trolls except for different size and skin colour, so I don't think there's anything wrong with he code.
Yeah, if there aren't evil (enough?) regions of the needed biome, those creatures may end up not being placed, though sometimes, there are other factors at work. If they all worked when they were in a pre-existing file, this may simply be bad luck. Try increasing the evil parameters in worldgen for a test. The changed trolls, however, might have a different issue - if you changed their Biome away from subterranean chasm to a overground biome, you also need to either remove the underground depth tag, or, if you added the biome, change the depth tag to 0:3 .
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Chuckster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 22, 2010, 06:29:54 pm »

Thanks, the bullet is dense enough since it's lead  ;)
Just didn't notice the smashed bones, but I wish it would work like a "bolt" in the game.

Now if there's only a way to make the creature use the material from a certain part of it's body and when that part's lopped off then it would start using the attack.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 26, 2010, 12:20:38 am »

I am trying to make herbal soap, where golden salve replaces lye and creates high-value soap products. Unfortunately I don't know how to use the golden salve in the reaction. Extensive searching yields nothing and a thread for itself seems excessive.

[REACTION:MAKE_HERBAL_SOAP]
   [NAME:make herbal soap]
   [BUILDING:SOAP_MAKER:CUSTOM_H]
   [REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:HERB_VALLEY:EXTRACT]
   [REAGENT:B:1:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:TALLOW][UNROTTEN]
      [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAP_MAT]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:SOAP_MAT]

What am I doing wrong?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 357