Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 420539 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2700 on: April 20, 2011, 10:09:54 pm »

This was attempted. The dragons were able to basically bypass iron armor ("...through the iron helm!" or "...through the iron greaves!", etc), bronze, and steel. They were also able to hit through adamantine fairly frequently (~60-80% of the time).

Huh, must be those combat numbers get odd at extreme size.  Or the armor does not increase with thickness as size increases.  Can't honestly say I tried it with dragon size stuff.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: April 20, 2011, 10:28:35 pm »

This was attempted. The dragons were able to basically bypass iron armor ("...through the iron helm!" or "...through the iron greaves!", etc), bronze, and steel. They were also able to hit through adamantine fairly frequently (~60-80% of the time).

Huh, must be those combat numbers get odd at extreme size.  Or the armor does not increase with thickness as size increases.  Can't honestly say I tried it with dragon size stuff.

Well, I pit the adamantine-clad dragons against bronze collossi and the statues were able to punch through the armor at times too (about as frequently as the dragons were). Maybe size is very important for combat?
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2702 on: April 20, 2011, 11:22:27 pm »

How do I increase the embark cost of an animal?

And while I'm here "common domestic" means every civ has access to it on embark right?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:53:45 pm by Seriyu »

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: April 21, 2011, 01:03:06 am »

How do I increase the embark cost of an animal?

And while I'm here "common domestic" means every civ has access to it on embark right?

Change the number in [PETVALUE].

If a creature has the tag [COMMON_DOMESTIC] (which every creature in the file creature_domestic.txt does), then every civilization has access to it on embark as long as it also has one of the following: [PET], [PACK_ANIMAL], [WAGON_PULLER], [MOUNT] and is [NATURAL] and not [FANCIFUL]. (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Creature_token and ctrl-f "domestic")
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: April 21, 2011, 12:43:10 pm »

I would like to start modding but don't know what to do actually

I want to make bunch of weird / useful hats and a "Hat Workshop" for crafting them
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #2706 on: April 21, 2011, 04:47:33 pm »

I want to make bunch of weird / useful hats and a "Hat Workshop" for crafting them

That's as good a place as any. ;)

1) Make a new file called, say, item_hats.txt. Make sure it has the right item file format. Create some hats; copy the hood entries, maybe.
2) In whatever entity (civilization) you play, add your new hats so that your dwarves (or whatever) can actually use the hats.
3) Make a new world and embark somewhere; see if you can use the hats. Check your errorlog.txt to see if there are any errors.

So, that's the first step, creating hat items. Once you have THAT working, you can go on to create a workshop. But I personally haven't done that, so you'll have to ask someone else. ;) Be sure to read the Modding Guide on the wiki!
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: April 21, 2011, 05:05:00 pm »

...A mad hatter's workshop? AHAHAHAH!!! Finally a use for cinnabar!!

Shame we can't make dwarves doing a custom job slowly go insane.

P.S. Custom workshops aren't as complex as they look.  For example everything in the soap maker's workshop between    [BUILD_KEY:CUSTOM_SHIFT_S] and [BUILD_ITEM:1:BUCKET:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]  Only controls what the workshop looks like.  And while it is something you would probably wanna learn how to modify, you get a perfectly functional workshop by copying that stuff directly from the soaper's shop or screw press.  The appearance is even possible to modify in a current save without needing to regen.  So it is something one could easily just throw in to make sure it works, then modify the appearance of later.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:14:20 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

alcohol_dependent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: April 21, 2011, 08:21:49 pm »

Any way to adjust how long a reaction takes to complete?

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: April 21, 2011, 08:31:02 pm »

Insert the lines..

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:0]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:0]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:0]

...and see what happens.
Well, after two full in-game years in my new world, I have determined that this doesn't work.

(i'm going to try changing the season and see if that's any better)

edit: On second thought, the elves have 1s instead of 0s. Maybe that will help...

I'm changing the season anyway, just so i don't have to wait as long to know if it worked. =/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:32:42 pm by billybobfred »
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: April 21, 2011, 10:23:58 pm »

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:0]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:0]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:0]

used to mean instant sieges in 40d.

In 31.2x, they mean that the progress trigger is ignored for that value (Toady didn't approve of the Orc Mod, it seems).

You need to have at least 1 in each value. Unfortunately, the minimum population requirement for
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
is 20 dwarves. However, the
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1]
Should hopefully mean near instant interaction anyway.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: April 22, 2011, 08:57:00 am »

That's as good a place as any. ;)

1) Make a new file called, say, item_hats.txt. Make sure it has the right item file format. Create some hats; copy the hood entries, maybe.
2) In whatever entity (civilization) you play, add your new hats so that your dwarves (or whatever) can actually use the hats.
3) Make a new world and embark somewhere; see if you can use the hats. Check your errorlog.txt to see if there are any errors.

So, that's the first step, creating hat items. Once you have THAT working, you can go on to create a workshop. But I personally haven't done that, so you'll have to ask someone else. ;) Be sure to read the Modding Guide on the wiki!

Well

I now got an item_hats.txt and these

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also modified entity_default.txt

But I don't know how my dwarves will be able to get these or wear these on embarking =/

EDIT:

EDIT: Replaced all HATs to HELMs, no luck
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 09:12:00 am by Quarynn »
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: April 22, 2011, 11:37:43 am »

You need to give them a frequency too. You can have FORCED, COMMON, UNCOMMON, or RARE.

Or maybe it defaults to something if there's no frequency given, but add them anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Roxxox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: April 22, 2011, 01:03:54 pm »

Hi,
I made a creature, but it appears as "nothing", why?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: April 22, 2011, 01:04:38 pm »

It needs a CASTE_NAME.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 357