Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 409816 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2490 on: March 28, 2011, 08:58:15 am »

Code: [Select]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:PILOT_CHEST:SKIN_TEMPLATE]
TISSUE_LAYER is used to place pre-existing tissues. The last argument needs to refer back to a created or called tissue, which in turn refers back to a called material.

I don't know how you've constructed the creature tissue and material-wise, but body parts that are called in from the body file need the following:

[BODY:partspartsparts:PART:moreparts]
A material. By default this is handled by STANDARD_MATERIALS, which adds the list of general mammalian materials.
A tissue. By default, STANDARD_TISSUES handles this, adding general mammalian tissues.
Something to tell the game how much of each tissue/material combo is found in each body part. VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS does this.

Your pilot's category is BRAIN. PILOT_CHEST is the body part name, used only when declaring body parts.

Edited for question!

Is a barrel of blood useable in reactions? I've tried every combination of NONE, BLOOD, and CREATURE_MAT, but it still registers as "liquid" on the reaction screen.
If I make blood edible when cooked, does it count as a meat item for the purposes of deciding whether a meal is edible to carnivores? I'd assume so, since it's a creature part like the rest of the butchery products...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:32:04 am by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: March 28, 2011, 05:02:46 pm »

I can't seem to be able to convert corpses of sentient creatures into items like I could in .19 and .18.
is this a bug that toady needs to put out an update or is different coding? because I wonder if crafting organic blocks out of your foes in DFMODE adventure/fort mode is to much to pass up on.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Tapeworm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: March 28, 2011, 07:41:16 pm »

^Vanilla dwarves consider it unthinkable to make items out of sentient creatures. If you want to do this, change the dwarves' corresponding ethic token and gen a new world.

I myself have a question: if you start a war with a civilization, abandon your fort, and then start a new fort as the same civilization that you sparked war with, will the other civilization still be at war with you?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: March 28, 2011, 08:39:33 pm »

Trees cannot drop fruit as far as I know.

If you don't mind it being a shrub it'd prolly work though.
I meant using the nut as an ivory substitute.
くコ:彡

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2494 on: March 28, 2011, 09:48:44 pm »

Yeah, I think it'd work. Just make a reaction to process the nut into a tooth. The only snag I see is it just recognizing bones and not specifically teeth.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: March 28, 2011, 09:53:05 pm »

You can add a tooth material to the plant. That way the game will recognise it as being ivory nut plant material.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: March 28, 2011, 10:09:53 pm »

^Vanilla dwarves consider it unthinkable to make items out of sentient creatures. If you want to do this, change the dwarves' corresponding ethic token and gen a new world.

I myself have a question: if you start a war with a civilization, abandon your fort, and then start a new fort as the same civilization that you sparked war with, will the other civilization still be at war with you?
so Toady added something to those ethics tags? Because they have no problem eating them well looks like I need to see if this works with other creatures and see if I could bypass that little snag by hiring a professional Meat molder.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2497 on: March 28, 2011, 10:31:31 pm »

Thanks for the help Sutremaine, that worked, up until I realized my giant robots now have bones which makes them a bit too easy to kill. I tried removing all but the "skin" tissue from the vertebrate tissue layers and that made all hell break loose when it realized it couldn't find any tissues but skin and made it all into skin.

Instead of trying to explain this through text I'm just gonna copy the body section of the creature entry and let people go nuts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically I don't want this thing to have bones, skin, any organs except a brain and maybe an engine represted by the CIRCULATION tag or [HEART] tag or whatever it's called, but the engine would be made of metal too so.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: March 29, 2011, 02:12:29 am »

The main thing is you shouldn't need vertebrate_tissue_layers at all.

A secondary concern is that you must make the pilot out of a [FUNCTIONAL] tissue, like BRAIN, or the mech won't die when the pilot is hit.  At least, I think that's how it works.

Try this:
Code: [Select]
      [BODY:HUMANOID:HUMANOID_JOINTS:2OPTICS:PILOT_CHEST:5FINGERS:ENERGY_CORE]
         [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
         [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
         [TISSUE:GUNDANIUM_ALLOY]  //You don't have a VASCULAR tag, which will severely limit the amount of bleeding this thing does.
                  [TISSUE_NAME:GUNDANIUM_ALLOY:GUNDANIUM_ALLOY]
                  [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:GUNDANIUM_ALLOY]
                  [MUSCULAR]
                  [FUNCTIONAL]
                  [STRUCTURAL]
                  [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
                  [CONNECTS]
                  [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
         [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:GUNDANIUM_ALLOY]
         [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:BRAIN:BRAIN] //layering tissues onto the pilot, he's a brain
         [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:BRAIN:BONE]  //under bone
         [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:BRAIN:MUSCLE] //under muscle
         [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:BRAIN:FAT] //under fat
         [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:BRAIN:SKIN] //under skin :).  You could also do a more complicated pilot body if you wanted.
         [REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
         [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:OIL:OIL_TEMPLATE]
         [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:OIL:LIQUID]  //Because the pilot, and only the pilot, has VASCULAR tissues, this will make the pilot bleed oil, while the mech will only bleed a little bit when it's arm gets cut off or something.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2499 on: March 29, 2011, 03:59:21 am »

Edit: You know what, blood and oil in the same creature is more complicated then I'm willing to get for such small yield.

Thanks much! I had no idea you could layer multiple tissues onto a seperate body part. I think I'll skip making a more complicated pilot body though. :P
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:11:36 am by Seriyu »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2500 on: March 29, 2011, 09:18:48 am »

Is it possible to mod a creature to yield another creature's meat when butchered?  For example, if I modded in the turducken as a creature, is there any way to make it give turkey, duck, and chicken meat when you butcher it?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tigrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: March 29, 2011, 08:19:21 pm »

I'm working on laser rifles for a sci-fi mod.  I see someone's already asked about renaming quivers.  Laser Rifle Quiver is just going to sound odd.

I think I know how to make a custom reaction that will input an empty quiver made of something specific with a fixed mat temperature and produce that quiver filled with special ammo set to evaporate at room temp. 

Will military dwarves use that reaction if they run out of ammo?   Will having a quiver equipped prevent them from using that quiver for this reaction?  Will having a quiver equipped prevent them from dropping it to pick up and equip a full quiver?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: March 29, 2011, 08:55:06 pm »

The main thing is you shouldn't need vertebrate_tissue_layers at all.
Neat, I didn't know you could stack TISSUE_LAYER like that.

Can you make something that will never get taken to a stockpile?

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: March 30, 2011, 06:21:24 am »

Did You Know?
Colors are used in more than one place? A centaur's body can be chocolate "silver dapple" with silver mane, tail, and mottled spots... but they can also LIKE that "color" as well.
Now You Know!

*smacks self*
I was thinking the game would only use my optional coat colors where I specified it to do so in the creature file and totally forgot about that part. (How many years have I played this game?  ::) ) Two days of writing 80 some descriptions that turned out so beautiful in arena mode went to crap in fortress mode! I've since reduced each coat to it's bare essentials, but will probably have links to picture examples in the debut post, and the descriptions are saved elsewhere, so if the ability to mod patterns is implemented at a later time, all research will still be available. Oh well, I learned a whole lot about horse coat colors at least. Always wanted to know what the difference was between a paint and a pinto, and there isn't one! A paint is a certain breed with a pinto coat! No wonder they always looked the same to me! Hahahahahahahacoughcough..

But I am ecstatic that everything else is going extremely well, including markings, because markings are always white and can go over any coat color, although I know they will be considered regular colors as well, they are somewhat shorter in description. A small price to pay for, essentially, a really cool birthmark. You could do tattoos this way too, but it would mean the entire species would have high chances of having a tattoo on every single limb.

His face is marked with a "star" and "strip". His right front leg is marked with a "sock". His left front leg is plain. His right rear leg is marked with a "stocking". His left rear leg is marked with a "pastern".
*giggles*  :D

Questions:
1. Why do some colors have [Word: <color>] as an extra tag?
2. How can I get caste names to show up in a description, so I can tell who is what breed?
3. Are size descriptions by caste or by creature? Basically I have no idea if "He is fat" means he's of the Heavy breed, or if that means he's just big for his particular caste?
4. Hmmm... I did the whole bit with raising the number of each successive color to help even out the colors for hair and eyes and such in fortress mode, but it's not working. They all still have the same color eyes, mane/tail, and fur each and every time I restart the game, even after genning new worlds. Oddly enough, they sometimes have the same leg marking color on a certain leg(s), but different markings on other leg(s). And just to confuse matters even more, arena mode is very diverse in color choices (why??), but for some reason tail length/style is not showing up in that mode, but it does in fortress mode. Go fig.

Ooo, I just noticed I missed a new version over the weekend. Let's go see what goodies are in store!
*hops on a gold 'taur and they saunter on over to the update*

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: March 30, 2011, 08:59:52 am »

1. Why do some colors have [Word: <color>] as an extra tag?

I don't think anyone knows. It's probably so that the game can describe the "component" colours alone if it needs to.

2. How can I get caste names to show up in a description, so I can tell who is what breed?

You could make a seperate DESCRIPTION for each caste.

3. Are size descriptions by caste or by creature? Basically I have no idea if "He is fat" means he's of the Heavy breed, or if that means he's just big for his particular caste?

The latter. Furthermore, it's impossible to make absolute (vs. relative) descriptions. For example, no matter how high you set a caste's STRENGTH attribute, members of that caste still won't be considered to have "great bulging muscles" or whatever the description says unless they're extremely strong compared to other members of the caste.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 357