Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419466 times)

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2115 on: February 27, 2011, 04:10:06 pm »

can someone direct me to the corner of shame it seems i forgot to make a new world after changing the raws
LOL Ive done that before

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: February 27, 2011, 09:02:13 pm »

Okay, I'm trying to make a mod to adjust the scarcity of metals in .31.19. I've been at this pretty much all day, trying out various things in inorganic_stone_mineral.txt and while I've had a certain degree of success I'm getting frustrated. Here's my observations, if anyone can point out something I'm missing and help out I would appreciate it:

The first thing I thought was that the following underlined number was the frequency number:
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100]

I thought that by changing that, I could determine the likelihood of this mineral appearing compared to other minerals. I spent quite a bit of time messing with it; I first gave my desired minerals a high value and the undesired a low value. Next, I swapped that -- desired got a low value, undesired got a high value. Finally I went back to 100s all across the board. For each test I embarked five times on a 4x4 square with a single biome that had both "Shallow Metals" and "Deep Metals" listed, recorded the prospector totals and then recorded which minerals appeared in what layers and what size (cluster, vein, small cluster), and I can safely say, after spending hours tabulating the data, that this number does not affect frequency at all; I received essentially the same results on all three tests. Yes, it was only a total of fifteen embarks, but there wasn't a lick of differentiation between any of them. You would think that if this number affected rarity then a mineral would not be equally common at values 25, 100, and 600.

My next thought was that this number determines the likelihood of receiving a unit of stone out of a block of this mineral, but this was easily tested and debunked; a level 20 miner still got 1 rock per block out of something with a 25 in this value as from something with a 600 in this value.

Ultimately, I have no clue what this number does. Does anyone know?

In my next attempt I tried to solve this by duplicating the above line multiple times for the minerals I desired and not duplicating the minerals I didn't want at all. For example, Hematite looked like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unfortunately, this didn't seem to have the desired effect at all. In fact, doing the same data checking on this I get nothing but large clusters of ores mixed with regular amounts of fluff minerals. I think the duplication was causing issues with placement.

Now, if I wanted to try duplication again but instead with multiple instances of the same mineral would I need to name the multiples different names? It wouldn't handle having multiple entries for [INORGANIC:HEMATITE], I would have to add [INORGANIC:HEMATITE2] and [INORGANIC:HEMATITE3], and then in-game those would appear as hematite2 and hematite3 respectively, right? Is there any other way at all to affect rarity of minerals? This is getting frustrating; adding cluster and small cluster versions of the various minerals helps a lot, but it's far too blunt and ends up with too many minerals. If possible, I want something finer than that.

Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting; I've been at this all day and I feel like I'm trying to swim up a waterfall.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: February 27, 2011, 11:14:15 pm »

[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:hematite]

That tag determines the in-game name of the ore. Though, if they were all "hematite", I imagine the smelter would differentiate between smelting "hematite", "hematite" (2), and "hematite" (3), which could lead to confusion. I suggest you give them different names, like "ironite", or "goblinite".
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 11:16:39 pm by billybobfred »
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: February 27, 2011, 11:56:34 pm »

It's far from a satisfying solution, though.

You may wish to change hematite to say, three different types of iron ore, and add a reaction smelting multiple iron bars from each lump.

I'm interested to hear that the frequency numbers now do nothing. They definitely did work back in the (40d) day, when they gave the probability of the mineral appearing at all in the stated environment.

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: February 28, 2011, 12:28:01 am »

Simple question: is it possible to give anything negative weight?

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: February 28, 2011, 12:57:27 am »

Trying to make some freebie reactions for the sake of playtesting and well, I got the free iron one to work fine but... trying to make obsidian didn't. Here's the reaction:
[REACTION:TEST_OBSIDIAN]
[NAME:test obsidian]
[BUILDING:RUNE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN]
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]

Also just for the sake of it, this is the reaction I was going to test if I had the two freebie reactions work.
[REACTION:SMELT_DAMASCUS_STEEL]
[NAME:smelt damascus steel]
[BUILDING:RUNE:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:3:BOULDER:INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN]
[REAGENT:B:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:DAMASCUS_STEEL]
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]

The idea for it is you need 3 obsidian and 1 iron to make 1 damascus steel. Would it work as is, or have I (likely) messed up?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: February 28, 2011, 01:20:25 am »

Simple question: is it possible to give anything negative weight?

I know that it's possible to give things negative value. It should be possible with weight as well. No telling what strange effects might come with doing so.

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: February 28, 2011, 01:21:30 am »

If wearing something heavy slows dwarves down, I'm thinking winged sandals.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: February 28, 2011, 05:40:00 am »

Trying to make some freebie reactions for the sake of playtesting and well, I got the free iron one to work fine but... trying to make obsidian didn't.

[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150] will prove problematic, it only seems to be defined for thread/cloth and metal bars. Using it on a boulder of obsidian won't work.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: February 28, 2011, 08:53:33 am »

I've been trying to make a reaction that will take the scale you get from butchering a dragon or other scaled creature and turn it into something else....

So far I haven't been able to come up with anything that will make them select the scale... or any part of the butchered body for that matter.

Anyone know what will do it? Or if it's even possible?
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: February 28, 2011, 09:27:05 am »

Does [LARGE_ROAMING] tag in creature mean that the creature can also be found in wild groups as well? I mean, if I give that tag to domestic creature (dog for example), is it possible to find a wild group of dogs?
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: February 28, 2011, 09:35:10 am »

Trying to make some freebie reactions for the sake of playtesting and well, I got the free iron one to work fine but... trying to make obsidian didn't.

[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150] will prove problematic, it only seems to be defined for thread/cloth and metal bars. Using it on a boulder of obsidian won't work.

Ah I see, I thought it was one of those things that EVERYTHING used. Thanks.

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: February 28, 2011, 10:38:07 am »

Ive got a new question. A while back in the thread, it was said that milk could be drinkable if you made it into booze. Well, Ive tried it and Im obviously not doing it right, so I was wondering how you do that correctly.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: February 28, 2011, 12:54:35 pm »

Forget my last question, I'm all but certian it cant be done without remaking the scale feature to be something different to begin with...

Now I need to know if there is any way possible to have different graphics for different castes of the same species.
So far all signs point to no.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: February 28, 2011, 02:41:39 pm »

Forget my last question, I'm all but certian it cant be done without remaking the scale feature to be something different to begin with...

Actually you can. You just need to add a [REACTION_CLASS:WHATEVER] tag in the scale definition, and then just make sure that your reagents in your scale reactions require that tag. Then in the product use get_material_from_reagent, and you can make literally any item from scale.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 357