Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419332 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #1140 on: November 27, 2010, 10:51:58 pm »

I'll give you a mountain goat as it's shorter and even the unmodified one explains the principle quite well, due to horns and hooves, neither of which are part of the standard detail plans. The original:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One with scales instead of skin (modified parts in bold):

Just to further demonstrate what I meant about not using templates - in the case that we weren't:

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 27, 2010, 11:08:43 pm »

OOOOH, so I don't need to REPLACE something with it, I can ADD ONTO it. 

So.... material templates go inside body detail plans...
and you can select tissues/stuff
and giving a mountain goat only requires addons...

So for a dwarf, I would put [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]  inside of the dwarf's [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS] correct?

Can this be done in any other detail plan, or only in the plans that contain skin/etc?
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 27, 2010, 11:13:00 pm »

In the example given, I'm not doing anything to the detail plans. It looks that way due to the way the entry is formatted, but I'm just adding the material to the creature itself. I could have put the new lines at any point before referencing SCALE. So you could just put it anywhere near the top of the entry.

You could - if you wanted to - open up the STANDARD_MATERIALS entry itself and add SCALE to it, but that'd affect every creature that makes use of STANDARD_MATERIALS.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 27, 2010, 11:15:47 pm »

I understand the whole editing of the STANDARD_MATERIALS entry.  Not a very good idea, methinks. :P

So using tissue templates does nothing to the body detail plans, it just adds onto the creature?  So it would have skin and scales, presumably?
Or does adding on scales replace skin?
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 27, 2010, 11:19:42 pm »

You'd have both skin and scales available for use. Declaring another material or tissue doesn't do anything to the ones that are already declared.

By replacing SKIN in the VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS line with SCALE, I'd be replacing the creature's skin with scales, but as long as both are declared, there's no reason why I couldn't have both - for example, after declaring the scale mat/tissue, I could add an additional scale layer over the skin.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 27, 2010, 11:39:12 pm »

I think I'm beginning to understand.  So here goes; the echor file I've been working on since I started this conversation, and then some.  I probably missed some body stuff; I still need work on body. they're made of clouds of gases and cool (temperature) fire...so.... yeah :l  Dunno how to do that.  Also wish to know how to make how much you get from butchering; I wanted the meat count to be around 8.  But here:

[CREATURE:ECHOR]
 [NAME:echor:echori:echoran]
 [DESCRIPTION:A larger creature that is composed of copious amounts of dust and wisps of red fire. Surprisingly easy to tame.]
 [PETVALUE:120][NATURAL]
 [LARGE_ROAMING]
 [TRAINABLE][PET]
 [FREQUENCY:100]
 [PREFSTRING:ghostly awe]

[GENERAL_BABY_NAME:wisp:wisps]
 [GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:cloud:clouds]

[NOEXERT]
 [NO_FEVERS]
 [NO_SLEEP]
 [NOBREATHE]
 [MEANDERER]
 [LIGHT_GEN]
 [HOMEOTHERM:10080]
 [MAGMA_VISION]
 [MULTIPY_VALUE:2]
 [CLUSTER_NUMBER:4:12]
 [CHILD:4]
 [LITTERSIZE:1:4]
 [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]

[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKILL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]
  [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
  [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
   [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
 [BODY_SIZE:0:0:2000]
 [BODY_SIZE:1:0:8000]
 [BODY_SIZE:2:0:19500]

[CASTE:MALE]
  [MALE]
  [CASTE_TILE:'E'][COLOR:1:0:0]
  [CASTE_NAME:echoro:echoros:echoron]
  [LARGE:ROAMING]
  [PREFSTRING:ghostly aura]
 [CASTE:FEMALE]
  [FEMALE]
  [CASTE_TILE:'E'][COLOR:1:0:1]
  [CASTE_NAME:echora:echoras:echoran]
  [PREFSTRING:ghostly mysteriousness]

[SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:MALE]
  [CASTE_ALTTILE:'E'][COLOR:1:1:0]

I know I missed SOMETHING.  But I dunno what.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 28, 2010, 12:30:50 am »

So what are you trying to do with the scales? You've declared the scale tissue, but you haven't declared the material, and you haven't yet done anything with it. If you want scales at the same time as skin, you'd probably be able to do something like [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SCALE:TOP:BY_CATEGORY:SKIN]. Maybe. Thinking about it, this might be a little more complex than I initially thought.

If you're wanting them to be actually made of dust, then that's not all that hard. Let's say you wanted the main "bulk" (if one can call it that) of the creature to be dust/gas with flames trailing off. The "flame" material already does quite a good job of simulating gas, so we can use that as a base.

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DUST:FLAME_TEMPLATE] #Designated as "DUST" because we'll use FLAME_TEMPLATE again later
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:GRAY] #Wouldn't make much sense with red dust
[STATE_NAME:GAS:dust] #These are being changed so the "dust" isn't referred to as flame
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:dust]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:NONE] #So it doesn't burn things
[DISPLAY_COLOR:7:0:0] #Light grey

Everything else can stay put. Now we need to declare a tissue to apply this to:

[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:DUST:FLAME_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_NAME:dust:NP] #Again, changing the name
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:DUST] #Telling it to look for the "DUST" mat instead of "FLAME"

We now apply them to your creature. There's no need for STANDARD_MATERIALS or VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS as we'll be applying our own materials and tissues. We can apply the dust layer to everything.

[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKILL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DUST:FLAME_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:GRAY]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:dust]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:NONE]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:7:0:0]
[TISSUE_NAME:dust:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:DUST]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:DUST]

(Are these things supposed to be so tiny?)

Now the entire creature is made up of dust, which acts like a gas. Now we need to add the flames.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FLAME:FLAME_TEMPLATE] #Designated as FLAME this time
[DISPLAY_COLOR:2:0:0] #Green flames, anyone?
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:9870] #Fat starts taking cold damage at 9900

And the tissue:

[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FLAME:FLAME_TEMPLATE] #We don't need to change anything here.
Now we need to consider where the flames are going to go. Let's say we want them trailing off the dust. What we'll do here is add a layer on top of the previous layer, much like the way head hair and nails are handled in the dwarf entry.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FLAME:FLAME_TEMPLATE]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:2:0:0]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:9870]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FLAME:FLAME_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:FLAME:TOP]

Unless I've messed up, we now have a creature made out of dust, with cold (and green) flames trailing from the top of its body.

There are a few other things that you've missed, but I'll go over those once I know you don't have any questions on this.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:03:20 am by 3 »

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 28, 2010, 09:54:51 am »

Aha, now I understand the [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:INSERTHERE:INSERTTEMPLATE_HERE] line.  The first insert is what the material is called, and the second is what template it uses.

And, for the USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE thing, I thought you HAD to have fat and muscle and all that other stuff.  Do you?
EDIT (oops):  Wait a mo', I'm guessing there is a flame creature template already inside one of the body detail plans or something?

For the flames part; will that set stuff on fire?

and I see how you're using flames as tissue; no comprehension problems there.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:01:33 am by Saetar33 »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 28, 2010, 10:00:53 am »

And, for the USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE thing, I thought you HAD to have fat and muscle and all that other stuff.  Do you?

No; this is the beauty of the new(er) system. Creatures can be made up of however many or few tissue layers one wants to use - the detail plans are only a shortcut, after all.

For the flames part; will that set stuff on fire?

Hah, not since I made them freeze things, no. You can put them back to normal flame temperature (16000) by just removing the MAT_FIXED_TEMP line.

Oh, damn, I forgot something: The DUST material needs MAT_FIXED_TEMP:NONE somewhere, or it'll burn things just like regular fire does. You probably don't want that.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 28, 2010, 10:04:01 am »

below each of the used-to-be-last tokens inside of it, like this?

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FLAME:FLAME_TEMPLATE]
   [DISPLAY_COLOR:2:0:0]
   [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:9870]

and the flames will FREEZE stuff?  I don't want it to freeze or burn stuff. :l
Ah.   I see why you made them so.  I was actually after making them like, sub-body-temperature, like maybe Urist 10080 or something, just a bit above/below 10067.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:07:17 am by Saetar33 »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 28, 2010, 10:09:33 am »

That should work, yes, unless (as I say) I've messed up somewhere.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 28, 2010, 10:11:16 am »

Well, if I save this file, I should be able to go into the arena and summon some echors, correct?
I'll try to find a few inside of Legends, as well.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 28, 2010, 10:15:00 am »

You'll obviously want to give them attacks at some point, and maybe some appearance modifiers (they could be different colours or something). Also, double-check their size - I suspect you've missed a zero.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: November 28, 2010, 10:20:17 am »

Well, I went into the arena, and looked for the E's.  Turns out, THEY EXIST!
and work quite well, except they're so bloody hard to kill.  I assigned 5 to fight 1.  The 1 only has yellows.

I'm guessing that's because I need to give them attacks.

Is this a proper attack, or is there an error?

[ATTACK:BURN:CHILD_TISSUE_LAYER_GROUP:FLAMES]

OK, what the heck?
Echor #6 dies after colliding with obstacle.
Dorffort crashes.  what just happened?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:22:20 am by Saetar33 »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: November 28, 2010, 10:25:56 am »

That attack looks fine.

Is there anything in errorlog.txt regarding them? I'm guessing it's something to do with the materials, if anything.

Edit: Fixed a couple of typos and tested them myself. No problems so far. In fact, they seem to work pretty well.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:32:16 am by 3 »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 357