Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: How the heck is he carrying that?  (Read 18012 times)

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
Re: How the heck is he carrying that?
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2010, 03:37:31 pm »

Just had a weird mental image of a dwarf trying to cram an entire whale into a woodchipper-like device marked "Butcher's Shop". :D
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2010, 03:48:42 pm »

In terms of farms, can you have a breeding pit next to a room with spikes? Any animal wanders into the room get locked in and spiked.
Yes, although in my experience it's better to use a retracting bridge over a pit to drop them to their death.  Animals that break into pieces give more bones and meat.  At least, they did in 40d16.  I don't know if the same is true for DF2010.

In 40d16 a tame animal could only be butchered if it was slaughtered at the butcher's shop.  A wild animal could be butchered no matter how it died, and so wild animals were preferred for automated breeding and butchering schemes.  Does anyone know if this is still true in DF2010?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2010, 04:28:16 pm »

Posting mainly to follow this, because I want to try it for my dwarfy self.

I wonder if pressure plates can be used to somehow separate baby whales from their parents?  I seem to remember the Mermaid thread answering this question in the affirmative. 

If something's worth doing, it's worth automating!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2010, 05:42:49 pm »

And if it's worth automating, its worth automating in style.

I purpose a whale farm made out of a glass tower, with a automated harvest method on the bottom floor that sucks out a whale and drops it into a drainage chamber to air drowned and subsequently butchered.

Obviously the tower has to be made of glass, otherwise how could the dwarves see how many whales are in their food stocks?

Course, bonus points would be applied to a 'whale trap' in the ocean that forces them down a canal to the tower. But I can't see that being automated. I mean, I don't think a swimming creature could trigger a pressure plate.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2010, 06:13:15 pm »

Man, now I want to start a fortress next to an ocean.

You know what, I'll do that now even.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2010, 07:39:43 pm »

Yeah damn right, how the hell do you start a whale breeding program anyway? I want to try
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

pubby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2010, 08:16:17 pm »

Do whales beach themself in captivity?

I imagine you could work out an area proportional to beaching.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2010, 09:55:49 pm »

I know that a swimming creature will trigger a submerged cage trap if it swims over it in the same tile.  (Captured a bunch of mermaids that way in a 40d16 fort).  I suspect that they'll trigger a pressure plate the same way, although I haven't tried it yet.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2010, 10:02:46 pm »

Do they drown if the cage is taken out of water?
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2010, 12:11:25 pm »

Someone should write a whale breeding tutorial and put it on the wiki or here.
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2010, 12:54:26 pm »

I suspect that they'll trigger a pressure plate the same way, although I haven't tried it yet.
Would not PP be triggered by the water in the first place?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2010, 01:07:48 pm »

Do they drown if the cage is taken out of water?
No.  Cages act as suspended animation devices.  Water-breathing creatures still survive if the cages are in air, just as air-breathing creatures don't down if their cages are submerged.  It doesn't seem to matter what material the cage is made from either - you don't need green glass terrariums for this.

Would not PP be triggered by the water in the first place?
Not if you didn't set it to be triggered by water.  When you make a pressure plate you select what triggers it (water, magma, or friendly or hostile creatures) and the depth of water/magma or size of the creature.  If you set the pressure plate to trigger only for creatures, it won't trigger from water.  I don't know yet if swimming creatures trigger pressure plates, but I suspect they do.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2010, 11:01:03 pm »

I read they do.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2010, 11:29:29 pm »

A thought: Whales are air-breathers IRL. They wouldn't air-drown.

EDIT: There is a tag in the Whale raw that says [BEACH_FREQUENCY:10]

...So, aquatic animals beaching is probably hard-coded, and that's where the whale corpse that the OP's dwarf was carrying came from in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:55:50 pm by Lord Dakoth »
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2010, 11:51:49 pm »

That makes sense.

Now, that said, magma-steam-powered harpoon boats sounds like fun for a possible whaling profession...
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9