Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DF as a critique of white colonisation of the americas  (Read 7436 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: DF as a critique of white colonisation of the americas
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 07:59:04 pm »

nenjin: it was about neither america or DF - it was always about Max's testicular torsion.

Translation: Yes, it was a joke.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 08:00:06 pm »

nenjin: it was about neither america or DF - it was always about Max's testicular torsion.

Translation: Yes, it was a joke.
I feel stupid now.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 09:37:14 pm »

I always saw DF as a spiritual brother to the old 'Oregon Trail' or 'Amazon Trail' games, personally. In that your wagon will get stuck in that soul crushing river, snakes will bite you, and you're going to die horribly kind of way.

Gods I loved those games.
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 12:35:51 am »

I don't suppose we could cap off this thread with a reference to nazis?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 12:37:34 am »

I don't suppose we could cap off this thread with a reference to nazis?

Bah, we all know that the subtext of the white invasion on native American culture was riddled with references to the holocaust.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 02:06:58 am »

The Dwarfs/Gobs/Elves are at about the same military tech level so this does not apply OP. 

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 02:37:28 am »

The Dwarfs/Gobs/Elves are at about the same military tech level so this does not apply OP. 

So.. Kobolds are the real victims here?

:D

"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

PeterTheEvilBastard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 03:32:53 am »

Successful Troll is successful. Btw, I LOVE Colonization, the old one and the new one ;P

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 04:56:10 am »

The wagons full of honest, hard working folks from the homeland off to achieve their "manifest destiny" (as supposedly decreed by their gods)? The felling of all the local trees and hunting of the wildlife (not to mention plundering of the underground minerals)? The abhorrent treatment of the peaceful natives who are at one with nature? The carving of mega-projects into the face of the mountains?

I rest my case.

Are you saying that the native indians of America ate their fallen?
and lived in trees?

edit. Anyone see one of the newest southpark episodes which was about the boys making a book?

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 05:09:01 am »

don't feed him and he'll die. stop posting.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 05:30:20 am »

The wagons full of honest, hard working folks from the homeland off to achieve their "manifest destiny" (as supposedly decreed by their gods)? The felling of all the local trees and hunting of the wildlife (not to mention plundering of the underground minerals)? The abhorrent treatment of the peaceful natives who are at one with nature? The carving of mega-projects into the face of the mountains?

My dwarves are unhappy whiny drunks whose life mission is to ruin my sanity ;) I don't know where you are getting that description from. My dwarves love to kill each other.

Destiny, huh. I always thought it was a contest of who manages to die in the most spectacular way.

Where do you think ppl got the wood materials from 1000 years ago?

Hunting has been a tradition at least since the ice ages.

Wat? I LOVE elves. They bring me all kinds of cool animals. Only time I bother to go out with my patrols to protect the merchants from goblins is when elves arrive.

That megaproject thing is my penis talking. There's nothing more to that.

;)
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2010, 06:14:04 am »

Dwarves crush anything that threatens or even irritates them, and the other feeble races can do nothing so stop them taking everything on the planet, as though it ultimately belonged to them.  Perfect.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 06:19:57 am »

Don't you mean dorfs/gobs/humans?
Elves are still a hunter-gatherer society except without the hunter because they refuse to kill animals except in slef defense.

tombthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • oddly appropriate name
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 06:41:36 am »

No.... just no.

Tis one of the problems with the education; we are trained to appreciate and see something that isn't there. I think Freud's thoughts can be implemented here: in both Annalise of your scared psyche and how " sometimes a cigar is just a Cigar": there is no symbolism of critique behind Dwarf Fortress and there never was; just a bunch traditional dwarves working at your beck and call. Similarly much of the symbolism we encounter day to day is a fabrication of our minds trying to seek a pattern.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2010, 06:53:20 am »

Don't you mean dorfs/gobs/humans?
Elves are still a hunter-gatherer society except without the hunter because they refuse to kill animals except in slef defense.

Their military tech seems to work fine. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4