Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: DF as a critique of white colonisation of the americas  (Read 7434 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: DF as a critique of white colonisation of the americas
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 07:46:30 am »

I think you're bweing too direct. This is clearly a reference to Shakespeare's the Tempest. The fact that the Tempest was about colonization is incidental.

The goblins are Caliban, the Elves are Ariel, the Forgotten Beasts are Prospero, and the clowns are Sycorax. Players are left to have their own various noble characters, of course.

I'm pretty sure this also makes no sense.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2010, 09:16:33 am »

The Dwarves are in purgatory, atoning for their sins. The migrants are recently dead dwarves, and the fortress is the ironic punishment for their various sins. Mostly greed. And sloth. That's why they have no sense of self-preservation; deep down they know that when they die, they are merely tossed back to the wheel of reincarnation.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2010, 10:10:27 am »

I'm pretty sure the constant drunkeness also counts toward gluttony.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2010, 11:56:18 am »

...were the old tentacle clowns lust? :(
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2010, 03:29:38 pm »

Gluttony: Even newborn babies need alcohol to get through the working day. Eating in a legendary dining room will offset any tragedy these short hairy hedonists face.
Lust: Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more. ;)
Greed: The dwarves so value shiny trinkets that failing to present sufficient tribute to your rulers is punishable by death.
Sloth: It doesn't matter that the fortress is on fire, invaded by skeletons and out of food, if a dwarf wants to have a break, or a nap, he will.
Wrath: Obvious. The dwarves' natural response to unhappiness is to hurl objects about or attack someone or something.
Envy: The dwarves are quite open aboout demanding better lodgings, dining rooms and burial arrangements than those they consider to be below their station.
Pride: The engravers often engrave murals commemorating legendary engravings they made themselves. The best thing that can happen to a dwarf is making an artifact. One of the most common activities in a dwarven fortress is building giant projects to make your name go down in history.

Also: The elves obviously represent Jesus. They want your dwarves to abandon their evil ways and join them in living in harmony with the universe and being kind to animals. And then you kill the diplomat they sent to forge better relations between your civilizations.

The goblins are such an obvious allegory for the Antichrist that I won't even bother explaining it.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2010, 03:32:59 pm »

That actually sums it up pretty well.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 03:39:03 am »

I miss tentaclowns.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

docawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2010, 04:58:11 am »

dwarfs make a poor colonist stand in because the colonist believed god wanted them to do it while in DF if given the chance we would be killing everything with god bone bolts.

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2010, 05:12:00 am »

dwarfs make a poor colonist stand in because the colonist believed god wanted them to do it while in DF if given the chance we would be killing everything with god bone bolts.

Player = Armok = Blood God = Dwarven secret master (or Mistress, for our lady players)

mostlikely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2010, 06:45:59 am »

EPILEPTIC TREES, and now that you've wasted 3 hours reading useless unrelated trivia...
I hate you.. and myself

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2010, 10:53:34 am »

Why white people?  White people weren't the only people to colonize places.

Edit:  And it's totally possible to play the game without treating elves badly or even cuttong down trees or mining.   So, really, your critique is pretty biased and built upon suppositions that are hardly cold hard fact.

I think you're taking the statement a bit too seriously Capntastic, I don't think anyone is making a racial statement -the vast majority were white in the case of America. Also it was totally possible to colonise america without dicking on the natives etc...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2010, 12:08:09 pm »

I miss tentaclowns.
They're not gone... they're just 'busy' somewhere else.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2010, 02:52:57 pm »

I got this feeling first time I breached the underworld >_> all the various beast-man tribes below and my dwarves going down to colonize... anyway.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Lekegolo Khanid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2010, 03:48:57 pm »

EPILEPTIC TREES, and now that you've wasted 3 hours reading useless unrelated trivia...
damn you.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2010, 06:40:09 am »

Ahaha, I laughed through that. I'm surprised you didn't mention the poor treatment of other traders in the quest for globalization (humans) or declaring cultures who defend their land as savages (goblins). And of course, all that digging around in the earth to find the precious oil (the blue stuff).

I'm sure this analogy can be extended further. And Caesar, it's humour :P

Damn. I didn't get it back then.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]