Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: DF as a critique of white colonisation of the americas  (Read 7431 times)

Kholint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF as a critique of white colonisation of the americas
« on: April 09, 2010, 06:52:48 pm »

The wagons full of honest, hard working folks from the homeland off to achieve their "manifest destiny" (as supposedly decreed by their gods)? The felling of all the local trees and hunting of the wildlife (not to mention plundering of the underground minerals)? The abhorrent treatment of the peaceful natives who are at one with nature? The carving of mega-projects into the face of the mountains?

I rest my case.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:54:23 pm by Kholint »

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF as a critique of white colonisation of the americas
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 07:00:17 pm »

Being able to interpret it as a critique, doesn't necessarily mean that it is meant as one.

Anyways, there's lots of things you can 'relate' dwarf fortress to.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:03:27 pm »

Ahaha, I laughed through that. I'm surprised you didn't mention the poor treatment of other traders in the quest for globalization (humans) or declaring cultures who defend their land as savages (goblins). And of course, all that digging around in the earth to find the precious oil (the blue stuff).

I'm sure this analogy can be extended further. And Caesar, it's humour :P

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:05:13 pm »

Why white people?  White people weren't the only people to colonize places.

Edit:  And it's totally possible to play the game without treating elves badly or even cuttong down trees or mining.   So, really, your critique is pretty biased and built upon suppositions that are hardly cold hard fact.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 07:06:45 pm by Capntastic »

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 07:07:12 pm »

EPILEPTIC TREES, and now that you've wasted 3 hours reading useless unrelated trivia...
No, OP. The natives are not peaceful or "one with nature" by any means. They use animals as slaves (pack animals) still allow you to 'butcher' trees while bringing you their own (attempted soft/hardwood trade monopoly) and worst of all, commit warcrimes such as eating defeated enemies' bodies in the name of attempting to emulate the animals they conquer and tame.

Yes i know you're joking and i'm joking a bit myself, but still, everyones' guilty.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 07:08:45 pm »

Not seeing it.
1: "Manifest destiny"? Where did you get that?
2: Now find a civilization that hasn't done that. The native americans did it. And you don't have to do it.
3: Unless your embarking on a forest retreat, the dwarves are just a native as the elves. And you don't have to attack them. And they are hardly peaceful. They'll go to war over plants.
4: You don't have to do it. It might not have occured to Toady that people would do it.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 07:11:38 pm »

This seems more like flame bait than 'teh funny.'
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 07:12:17 pm »

Why white people?  White people weren't the only people to colonize places.

Edit:  And it's totally possible to play the game without treating elves badly or even cuttong down trees or mining.   So, really, your critique is pretty biased and built upon suppositions that are hardly cold hard fact.

Indeed, I felt the OP was an insightful peep into the barely suppressed racism and violent tendencies of Kholint.

I rest my case.

::)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 07:16:37 pm »

White People: Don't hate us because we beat you at your own game.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Kholint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 07:18:11 pm »

Retro: you clearly are an expert dwarffortrologist. Maybe even an accomplished one, nevertheless much better than the rest of the dabbling novices here (I'm a high master myself). :P

I think the thing that finally convinced me was the way that fortresses, having made the switch from a communal, trade-based economy to a capitalistic one, stick religiously to it from then on no matter how game breaking, frustrating and unrealistic it may be!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 07:25:54 pm »

I dunno, I saw it as humour. I think you guys are taking it a bit too seriously. Honestly, I read a new thread on this forums every day on how best to perform mass-genocide, selective breeding, harvesting wildlife for profit, torturing POWs, and in one case what infamous genocidal dictator DF players could best be compared to based on killcount, and we're getting all caught up here on a joke about colonialism?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 07:32:12 pm »

The wagons full of honest, hard working folks from the homeland off to achieve their "manifest destiny" (as supposedly decreed by their gods)? The felling of all the local trees and hunting of the wildlife (not to mention plundering of the underground minerals)? The abhorrent treatment of the peaceful natives who are at one with nature? The carving of mega-projects into the face of the mountains?

I rest my case.

I have a blue ball. The sky is blue. Therefor the ball must refer to the sky!

Sometimes things just work out like that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 07:50:50 pm »

Touche' Retro. Still, it seems like it's more about white colonization of the Americas, and all the subtext, than DF. 
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 07:53:27 pm »

I dunno, I saw it as humour. I think you guys are taking it a bit too seriously. Honestly, I read a new thread on this forums every day on how best to perform mass-genocide, selective breeding, harvesting wildlife for profit, torturing POWs, and in one case what infamous genocidal dictator DF players could best be compared to based on killcount, and we're getting all caught up here on a joke about colonialism?
It was a joke?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Kholint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 07:56:07 pm »

nenjin: it was about neither america or DF - it was always about Max's testicular torsion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4