Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: 2010 General Elections. America has a black man. We have a gay couple.  (Read 15231 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No its the sign of a dis-honest hypocrite. And also a whore. If you change or abandon your principles whenever they become inconveinient then what good are they?

If you blindly follow your principles even when they are proven to be stupid then what good are they?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

No its the sign of a dis-honest hypocrite. And also a whore. If you change or abandon your principles whenever they become inconveinient then what good are they?

If you blindly follow your principles even when they are proven to be stupid then what good are they?
But in this case, if the only "proof" is that they weren't electorally successful, then that's not much of a reason.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile

I'm not saying blindly follow them, I'm saying abandoning them just because they're inconvienient defeats the whole point of having them (And is the reason no one trusts politicians).

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

No new evidence has been provided though.  The Liberal Democrats have, however, helped a party who is massively against them on most important issues to power.  Every vote for the Lib Dems was basically a vote for the Conservatives.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile

No new evidence has been provided though.  The Liberal Democrats have, however, helped a party who is massively against them on most important issues to power.  Every vote for the Lib Dems was basically a vote for the Conservatives.

Yaaaaaay politics.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 General Elections. Not Labour, Woohoo!
« Reply #215 on: May 12, 2010, 10:50:11 am »

A lot of the votes for lib dems were "against labour" votes anyway (ditto for conservatives), so those people get what they voted for. Not Labour.

EDIT: Probably importantly, they're still putting a bill before parliament for voting reform.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:55:23 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be fair, though, there'd be as many (more?) people making the equivalent comment in response to them cosying up to Labour.

As far as votes are concerned, the Conservatives didn't win, Labour didn't win, Lib Dems didn't win.  Labour may be better off for having lost the chance of a merger, the core/grassroots Conservatives might well wish they were in opposition again instead of how they are, Lib Dems appear to have the balance of power but only time will tell whether that goes as planned.  Who knows if "The Public"[1] won.  I personally think not, but that we'll survive it anyway and get on with life.

[1] Apparently "The Public" voted unanimously for a hung parliament.  Well, no... Maybe people liked the idea of it and even voted accordingly to do their bit to attain that end, but nobody actually put a cross against "hung parliament" on a voting form.  Everyone voted for someone specific (if they voted/got to vote, and didn't then spoil their paper) and it was a far from unanimous mish-mash of different voting intentions that gave us our result.

[Pre-posting additional reply]
A lot of the votes for lib dems were "against labour" votes anyway (ditto for conservatives), so those people get what they voted for. Not Labour.

EDIT: Probably importantly, they're still putting a bill before parliament for voting reform.

The trouble is that the surge was arguably away from the Lib Dems, so most "against <standing candidate>" votes would have had to have been countered by "towards conservative" votes to get the result we had.  Well, more complex than that, but YSWIM.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

So....the only way to solve this is to divide Britain into three roughly equal pieces, reassign everyone based on their voting preferences, and fight to the death.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So....the only way to solve this is to divide Britain into three roughly equal pieces, reassign everyone based on their voting preferences, and fight to the death.
This is Great Britain[1], we don't fight to the death.  We grumble at people.  Mostly we'd be grumbling about being relocated to wherever we ended up, of course, or who was relocated next to wherever we managed to stay.  We'd change from being a nation of NIMBYs to a vocal mix of NIYBYs and NIMBYs. :)

[1] For now I'll ignore NI.  And inner city youths.

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still, this is probably the first election in a long time where Apathy didn't get the winning vote.

Usually Britain can be summed up with: "What do we want? A pork pie and a pint! When do we want it? Whenever!"

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

Still, this is probably the first election in a long time where Apathy didn't get the winning vote.

Usually Britain can be summed up with: "What do we want? A pork pie and a pint! When do we want it? Whenever!"

Did you vote this year?

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did you vote this year?

Honestly, no. And the Conservatives beat labour by 400 votes in my area. It was more disgust with every one of the parties than Apathy what won for me. If I went it'd be only to ruin a ballot paper in protest, and that would be a complete waste of my time.

And if the world starts burning as a result, well....hand me a fiddle ^^
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 03:32:08 pm by TheDarkJay »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

Ok, you have no say in anything that happens with the country then.

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, you have no say in anything that happens with the country then.

This is a complete failure of logic on your part.

"So, do you want to be raped with my penis or a large steel rod?", "Well quite frankly I can't see how either one is better..." "THEN YOU DESERVE EVERYTHING YOU GET!" -,,,-

If I hadn't have looked at the different parties, you may have had a point, but I *did* look. I did look at the manifestos, I watched the debates, I googled and bbc newsed and everything.... I could not, after all of this, in good consciousness, pick one of these parties over the other. Voting for one of the parties would have been me simply walking in, picking an entirely random party and then walking out...are you saying that would have been better than simply not voting?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 04:27:11 pm by TheDarkJay »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you should have voted for the monster raving loonies, that's what.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17