Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: 2010 General Elections. America has a black man. We have a gay couple.  (Read 15247 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 General Elections. David Cameron now our Prime Minister.
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2010, 04:36:05 pm »

I predict 30 minutes! :O

It's the UK, not Italy.

If the Tories are going to forge ahead with a minority government, I'll say 9 months or until the first major crisis. If there's a double-dip global recession brought on by the Euro getting shredded by the PIGS countries going belly-up, then it could come sooner.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2010, 04:45:41 pm »

You guys ought to try democracy some time.
!!&!!

Pathos

« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2010, 04:56:50 pm »

I don't know what country you're from, but America operates on the same a LESS democratic system than us.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2010, 05:08:30 pm »

I thought he was talking about the political simulator game. :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2010, 05:48:42 pm »

The only reason America doesn't get this is because there's an even stronger 2 party system in place... the system America uses is the same.

Pathos

« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2010, 05:57:09 am »

Well, Lib-Dems have just signed their death warrant.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Shortest suicide note in history?

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2010, 06:51:56 am »

Well, Lib-Dems have just signed their death warrant.
Interesting that they're still contesting the postponed Thirsk & Malton area.  Someone, at least, is interested in making it interesting, and not merging officially for the sake of détente...

Oh, hang on, on looking up some details I find that s an electoral rule thing, whereby existing candidates must remain the same when a 'widowed' party has to field a new candidate.  And I'm betting neither Lib nor Con would consider it an appropriate signal to their supporters to drop their candidate altogether, should that even have been an option under the rules.

Can't seem to find any estimates over what this new constituency's "historic" result would have been [this being a newly formed construct from recent boundary changes, etc], so I'll have to wait for finer analytical minds than I to work out what the 'base' Conservative majority should have been when their polls finally close, and see if there's been a swing away from Con (for working with the Libs) and/or Lib (for working with the Cons), and whether there'll even be a rebound towards Labour (looks to be second to the Cons in the region that has donated some of the electoral wards) or the 'other' minorities.  Though knowing that area (I was there the other week, and there were millions of "Vote Conservative - Vote Change" boards planted in fields, gateways in front of hedges, etc, and nothing for any other party) I doubt it'll become a Labour seat.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2010, 06:53:46 am »

I don't know what country you're from, but America operates on the same a LESS democratic system than us.

You should try our system. Anyone can run! Even the guy you previously impeached, deposed, and then convicted for graft!

Also lots of people get shot!
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Lol @ NPR description of the situation between cons and libs: "But cynics say it likely won't be long before they will be fighting like mad ferrets in a sack." You British have all the awesome sayings.  :(

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Lol @ NPR description of the situation between cons and libs: "But cynics say it likely won't be long before they will be fighting like mad ferrets in a sack." You British have all the awesome sayings.  :(
Hehe.

Anyway, last time I say anything in favour of Lib Dems.

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good for the Lib Dems I say. You have to deal with the hand you've got, and all-in-all they are in a good position at the moment. Sacrificing or changing your principles as the situations change isn't the sign of a whore, it's good sense. Anybody who tries to remain static and/or unprepared to make sacrifices along the way is doomed to fail =P

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile

Sacrificing or changing your principles as the situations change isn't the sign of a whore, it's good sense.

No its the sign of a dis-honest hypocrite. And also a whore. If you change or abandon your principles whenever they become inconveinient then what good are they?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

See, the way I see it, the Lib-Dems are the smarter, but quieter sister who is always overshadowed by her prettier but vapid Labour sister. And now the popular (but jerkface) football captain Conservative Party is asking Lib-Dem to the prom.

The question is, will she put out the first time he tries to...I don't know, slash public spending and raze council estates? Or kick metaphorically whip out a can of mace on him by leaving the coalition and calling for new elections?

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No its the sign of a dis-honest hypocrite. And also a whore. If you change or abandon your principles whenever they become inconveinient then what good are they?

That word there: Good. The point of principles is that they are there to do good. Principles which only cause harm or more harm than good or due to situations cannot cause good should be abandoned or modified so as to maximise the good =P

Quite frankly. When the situation changes, you adapt. When the facts change, you change your opinion. Failure to do so is death.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:16:02 am by TheDarkJay »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17