Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: 2010 General Elections. America has a black man. We have a gay couple.  (Read 15259 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 General Elections. Brown Quits, WE HAVE NO GOVERNMENT AHHHH.
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2010, 06:08:33 pm »

Y'know, I think I'll buck the trend and say that I actually believe that Cameron is fairly genuine in what he says.  The thing is, that doesn't really make a huge difference.  Most of his party is still Thatcherite (just look at his MEPs) and their European Parliament grouping isn't exactly brilliant (Holocaust deniers and homophobes are obviously much better company than Nicolas Sarkozy or Angela Merkel!).  Surveys of the new Conservative MPs show they are more right wing than ever... I guess they're fine if you like that kind of thing, but they certainly aren't "progressive".

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2010, 06:19:46 pm »

He may be genuine in what he's said. But that really isn't much at all, nothing on whats going to be cut to fix the economy or what he's going to invest in at all.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2010, 02:56:40 am »

Y'know, I think I'll buck the trend and say that I actually believe that Cameron is fairly genuine in what he says.  The thing is, that doesn't really make a huge difference.  Most of his party is still Thatcherite (just look at his MEPs) and their European Parliament grouping isn't exactly brilliant (Holocaust deniers and homophobes are obviously much better company than Nicolas Sarkozy or Angela Merkel!).  Surveys of the new Conservative MPs show they are more right wing than ever... I guess they're fine if you like that kind of thing, but they certainly aren't "progressive".

I thought the same about Blair. And look how wrong we were about him ...
Damn, charm politicians who seem so concerned about what they are talking about yet really don't care a jot.

Frankly I think Labour are the better of the two major parties, but it's close enough between them and their policies that it's more a gut feel than anything else. Both parties are terrible and have systematically screwed the country, to the extent they don't even have remorse about things like the expenses scandal. If they were doing what they knew was right they wouldn't have to keep arguing legalities of it and trying to forbid publication, that is not how you deal with a situation you don't think you did anything wrong in.

I'm fed up with having to choose between two different colours of pathetic people that claim to look out for our interests, that make promises to do something then don't even both showing up at parliament when it's discussed and quiet happily take larger and larger pay checks and bonuses before they quit to get high paid consultancy fees for essentially corrupting the system.

I don't see a solution to this, but I want one. I did vote, but I don't think my vote mattered and can see why people don't. I'm a patriot, I love my country, and the government we have need to learn they serve us not us them. I've no idea how this will happen, I'm as apathetic about this as everyone else is I don't see what I can do to help.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 General Elections. UK's time to shine.
« Reply #183 on: May 11, 2010, 03:52:14 am »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8672859.stm

Brown stands down.
Yeah, good timing of mine, my contribution.  Write my message[1], leave work, get in the car and hear he's gone.

[1] Not exactly supportive of Brown, but possibly interpretable as being in favour of a continuing status quo with him in place, for the time being at least.

edit typo
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:57:12 am by Starver »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 11, 2010, 09:28:13 am »

I'm fed up with having to choose between two different colours of pathetic people that claim to look out for our interests, that make promises to do something then don't even both showing up at parliament when it's discussed and quiet happily take larger and larger pay checks and bonuses before they quit to get high paid consultancy fees for essentially corrupting the system.

This is why Britain and America have such a strong alliance. Our governments are built on the shared bedrock of utter bulls**t.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #185 on: May 11, 2010, 01:52:11 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:06:06 am by Stany »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 11, 2010, 01:53:36 pm »

I think PR is unlikely with a conservative government, they really really don't want to lose seats, which they inevitably will if it comes in.

Edit: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/liveevent/

Pathos

« Reply #187 on: May 11, 2010, 01:58:44 pm »

Time for an incapable and ineffectual Tory government, then.

I don't think the Lib-Dems will cozy up to the Tories, they'll lose too many voters over it. Probably just going to fence sit.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 General Elections. David Cameron now our Prime Minister.
« Reply #188 on: May 11, 2010, 02:35:44 pm »

Official, DC is our new PM. NC will probably be our deputy PM.

Pathos

« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2010, 02:43:36 pm »

NOOOOO!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2010, 02:46:41 pm »

Well he's talking about electoral reform in his speech now, so hopefully we can get something good out of this.

Pathos

« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2010, 02:48:03 pm »

He's looking hilariously nervous.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2010, 03:16:46 pm »

He's trying to cozy up to the Liberal Democrats, even if it means making promises that make every fiber of his being scream "NO!".
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Pathos

« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2010, 03:55:18 pm »

He's trying to cozy up to the Liberal Democrats, even if it means making promises that make every fiber of his being scream "NO!".

Pretty much.

Expect the Lib-Dems to be politically backstabbed.

When's all your predictions for the next general election? I predict 6-12 months.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2010, 04:28:55 pm »

I predict 30 minutes! :O
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17