Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: 2010 General Elections. America has a black man. We have a gay couple.  (Read 15291 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 General Elections. UK's time to shine.
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2010, 09:08:58 am »

Nick got totally shafted this election, unjustly so.

I think in the long run we all got shafted.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2010, 09:13:55 am »

Case and point: We got 25% of the votes, and a total of 56 out of 650 seats in parliament. HOW THE FUCK IS THIS FAIR?!

It's not but there is no simple solution (that I know of).

Unfortunately you can't just allocate seats based on percentage votes as the candidates should be the elected representative for that area. The current system does mean that it's possible to get almost 50% of the votes and still get zero seats (if for example you get one less than each winning candidate in each area).
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2010, 09:14:52 am »

Case and point: We got 25% of the votes, and a total of 56 out of 650 seats in parliament. HOW THE FUCK IS THIS FAIR?!

It's not but there is no simple solution (that I know of).

Unfortunately you can't just allocate seats based on percentage votes as the candidates should be the elected representative for that area. The current system does mean that it's possible to get almost 50% of the votes and still get zero seats (if for example you get one less than each winning candidate in each area).

Actually, thats what proportional representation pretty much does. Proportionally represents the number of voters.

Pathos

« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2010, 09:20:22 am »

I don't see why local councils can't represent their areas whilst Parliament gets MPs based off proportional votes. It'd make sense, to be honest.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2010, 09:41:50 am »

Actually, thats what proportional representation pretty much does. Proportionally represents the number of voters.

Yes, but this means it's not longer a local election which is bad. What if 100% of the people in an area voted for Mr McNiceGuy but due to proportional allocation of country wide votes they get Mr McEvilGit instead.

I don't see why local councils can't represent their areas whilst Parliament gets MPs based off proportional votes. It'd make sense, to be honest.

Because the point is to have a local representative in the parliament who is meant to look out for their area.

I realise it's rare this is the actually the case, but that is the point it's meant to be achieving. You could argue that as it doesn't work why do I bother defending it, and to be honest I don't know.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2010, 10:26:32 am »

How many seats do the BNP have? Like 8?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2010, 10:34:38 am »

0, Same as every election.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2010, 11:22:29 am »

They would have 12 under a proportional system. UKIP (same as BNP, really) would have ~18. It's only fair, they do have 2% and 3% of the votes. As it is, they get no say what so ever. And while I (and currently, 95% of all Britons) won't vote for either of them, I'm sure the people who do would like to be heard in parliament.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2010, 11:25:57 am »

None.  Unsurprising - voting BNP is pretty much the same as spoiling your ballot paper.

AV could be good.  There are, however, two big obstacles.

- It'll be bad for both Labour and the Conservatives.  Which two parties are the only ones likely to ever be able to enact it?
- It'll be bad for those in swing constituencies (who currently basically control the entire country's government).  So anyone aiming for AV will have to convince people in marginals to vote to make their own votes less valuable.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2010, 11:44:56 am »

What surprised me is that the LibDems lost a lot of seats to Conservatives. I guess the Conservatives' propaganda that the LibDems will ally with Labour to get out of a hung parliament worked. At least that's what they claimed in my area (Where it went from 50% Labour, 40% LibDem, 10% Conservatives, to 50% Labour, 30% LibDem, 15% Conservatives, 5% BNP :'().
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2010, 11:56:15 am »

I voted LibDem. Good news is they won in my constituency for the first time in 86 years. Chippenham constituency is no longer a Tory stronghold. Admittedly this constituency was reconstituted this year.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2010, 12:27:56 pm »

They would have 12 under a proportional system. UKIP (same as BNP, really) would have ~18. It's only fair, they do have 2% and 3% of the votes. As it is, they get no say what so ever. And while I (and currently, 95% of all Britons) won't vote for either of them, I'm sure the people who do would like to be heard in parliament.

And so which 12 constitutions would you give them as part of their proportion? Or would you drop the local -> parliament link?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2010, 12:32:17 pm »

Drop the local -> parliament link. But then, there are some advantages to having a local voice in parliament.

Maybe both are needed.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2010, 01:18:54 pm »

And so which 12 constitutions would you give them as part of their proportion? Or would you drop the local -> parliament link?
Give them the 12 constituencies with the highest support for them.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:22:30 pm by Jreengus »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2010, 01:20:10 pm »

That should be "constituencies". But no, I don't think that would make the people in those constituencies very happy.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17