Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: 2010 General Elections. America has a black man. We have a gay couple.  (Read 15350 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 General Elections. UK's time to shine.
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2010, 04:03:43 pm »

What I want are largely more details, and their reasoning behind decisions. In order to reach those policies, they must have reasoning: Why not present it clearly? After that, I can compare and contrast and come to the conclusion myself based on what I 'value'. I need access to the information first, and have yet to find it.

I try to avoid more than the simplest core "beliefs" when possible. It's better to believe in nothing and know something than know nothing but believe in something after all ^^

The BBC news, ITV news, Channel 4 news, Sky news, oh hell the newspapers, Guardian, The Times, the sun, daily mail, observer, Financial times, their own manifesto's, what the other parties say about them, opinion polls, all the institutes of finacial research, interviews with leading experts in fields, word of mouth. Seriously man, theres a lot out there. There is also www.google.com

Edit: How could I forget. www.wikipedia.org
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:20:51 pm by Nilocy »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2010, 04:45:10 pm »

Sorry if anyone mentioned this before, but...

UK's Digital Economy Act 2010. From what I've heard, it allows the government to take down sites that they think are doing file sharing, and completely disconnect families from internet access without fair trial (no trial at all, in fact) or forewarning. Even though I'm not a UK citizen, that's pretty... alarming.

Technically it covers any site that has the potential to break copyright (among other things), although they can't take them down just block access. The disconnect thing requires three accusation requests (non of which have to be valid) and the burden of proof of innocence is placed on the victim.

If that scares you then you might want to look up the proposed ACTA agreement.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2010, 11:15:14 am »

Well, the day is finally upon us. General election day is here. If your 18 and above you should have voted today, and if not, why not?

Also, any tory supporters here can fuck off.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2010, 12:36:39 pm »

Well, the day is finally upon us. General election day is here. If your 18 and above you should have voted today, and if not, why not?

I just did :) victory is mine.

Now now lets me nice to them. One day they might see the error of their ways and become humans again :)
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2010, 08:49:38 pm »

Hmm, looks like tories are doing well. This is bad, the UK chickened out something terrible.

Pathos

« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2010, 09:45:23 pm »

You can tell people are morons when working class people vote for right-wing governments. My constituency stayed as Labour, unfortunately.

Pathos

« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2010, 02:01:21 am »

Oh, no. GOD DAMN IT.

Ball's in Nick's court, this morning. Let's see how it pans out. =(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:21:37 am by Pathos »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2010, 03:15:00 am »

Oh, no. GOD DAMN IT.

Ball's in Nick's court, this morning. Let's see how it pans out. =(

Technically Conservatives can still win, they'd have to win all the remaining seats though so it seems unlikely.

Currently Labour and Liberal Democrat combined isn't enough for a majority so there is little choice for Nick.
If it ever gets to the point where he could side with Labour to get a majority then he would be in a strong position as Labour would have little choice but to agree to what they ask.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2010, 04:53:08 am »

QFT

Unfortunately I live in the Ogmore constituency, a solid base of power for labour, still Lib Dem vote made me feel good  :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 07:55:39 am by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Pathos

« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2010, 06:47:26 am »

Technically Conservatives can still win, they'd have to win all the remaining seats though so it seems unlikely.

Currently Labour and Liberal Democrat combined isn't enough for a majority so there is little choice for Nick.
If it ever gets to the point where he could side with Labour to get a majority then he would be in a strong position as Labour would have little choice but to agree to what they ask.

Labour or Lib Dem need to get EVERY single one of the next few seats in order for them to win. Hmm... You can form a minority government with the various other third parties too, right? I'm sure ALL of THEM would support the idea of parliamentary reforms. That's probably all you'd need to get them on your side.

If I was Nick, I'd demand a bi-election, due to the sheer amount of people who couldn't vote (those people would mainly be working class, by the by, and I suspect this is why the Tories have such an increase). I voted Lib Dem, and I swear that I am sorely going to regret it if he support the Tories, nevermind the fact it'd be going completely opposite to (what I assume are) his political beliefs. He's left-wing, Tories are total dicks.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2010, 06:57:58 am »

hurray everyone lost

conservatives - failed to get a majority despite spending millions of pounds, having the backing of most of the press (Murdock empire etc) and fighting the most unpopular government in two decades in a recession.

Labour - lost to the tories on seats and popular vote, no long really hold power

Lib dems - failed to transform their polls into votes and actually lost seats

but the Green party got a seat - kick ass.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2010, 07:07:29 am »

Apparently theres been a rash of polling stations screwing students out of their ability to vote. Dunno how true it is but in Sheffield they were filtering students out of the general populace and fast tracking the non-students. Messed up.

Also they're allready talking about challenging the Chester result legally, the list of candidates wasn't up to date or something.  ::)

Pathos

« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2010, 07:42:43 am »

Apparently theres been a rash of polling stations screwing students out of their ability to vote. Dunno how true it is but in Sheffield they were filtering students out of the general populace and fast tracking the non-students. Messed up.

Also they're allready talking about challenging the Chester result legally, the list of candidates wasn't up to date or something.  ::)

God damn it, fenrif, Wirral went Tory. What the hell's wrong with you guys?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2010, 08:39:15 am »

We didn't vote in the BNP. That's atleast good.... right?

edit: A friend sent me this.

Undead rights an equality! :P
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:00:50 am by fenrif »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2010, 09:06:45 am »

Man, I really hope Nick Clegg chooses the right dude to side with. I was absolutely shocked that because of the first past the post system we have the Lib Dems pretty much got severly screwed over. Case and point: We got 25% of the votes, and a total of 56 out of 650 seats in parliament. HOW THE FUCK IS THIS FAIR?!

Its the Tory and Labour way of coaxing country side hicks into voting for them, giving them a tiny seat (close to rotton borough standard) but still a seat in parliament... Nick got totally shafted this election, unjustly so.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17