Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: 2010 General Elections. America has a black man. We have a gay couple.  (Read 15269 times)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 General Elections. UK's time to shine.
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2010, 10:35:38 am »

Question time without a doubt is one of the greatest thing out there the BBC do, along with Gerome Paxton (sp?), he totally fucking pwns politicians and celebrities on all sorts of topics they stand for.
Are memories so short, did we forget that facisim and nationalism have ended more lives in history than any other force.
No, communism has. Just look at Russia and Chinas "revolutions".
You need to recheck your facts, while I agree a lot of people died in various events it's still very little in comparison.
To what?

I also support the Lib Dems, I wanted to see what your reactions were.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2010, 11:13:18 am »

My personal nickname for the BNP is Norsefire.

Anyway, I'm not voting. Reason? I don't like any of the parties. Lib Dems I like more than certain others, but I'm a very cynical 18 year old who knows the only reason they have relatively few skeletons in their closets is because they haven't been in power for so long they no longer have the closets.

I do find it funny that I think I've heard so many people say "I won't vote for the lib dems because its a wasted vote" that if they actually did vote....you see where I'm going with this XD

Also the talk of nuclear disarm does raise a few alarm bells. Or did I misunderstand and we'd still keep a few nuclear deterrents lying around? Because no nukes would work in a world where nobody had nukes and definitely would never fire them at anyone, but such a world is based around puppies and unicorn farts, to be disturbingly crass. As bad as it is, the state of the world and, yes basic human nature, means fear in some form is arguably the only effective measure of control.

Kind of hypocritical to poke fun at people for not voting because they're too cynical, and not voting yourself because you're too cynical... ;)

The way i see nuclear disarmament is this: if someone wants to nuke us we're screwed anyway. We're a tiny little island nation. Nuclear deterrents only work as a kind of "well if you murder all us, we'll make sure YOU all die too!" Which means we're still dead anyway. So why not let other countries who are a little more enamoured with big bombs and WMDs (nudge nudge, wink wink :P) take care of the deterrents.

Though I do think nuclear power is something we should seriously be looking into. That and nuclear pulse space craft.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2010, 11:30:12 am »

Nuclear power is a good thing, its really the only viable method of making electricity without stupid amounts of C02.

And the lib dems are in favour of them, as well as supplimenting them with renewable sources and such.

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2010, 11:53:03 am »

Kind of hypocritical to poke fun at people for not voting because they're too cynical, and not voting yourself because you're too cynical... ;)

Actually I'd say it's the opposite of hypocritical. If I were to claim to be completely idealistic and then proceed to be very cynical, that's more hypocrisy. I was simply making a dry observation in a vague stab at wit ^^ In fact, the observation itself is arguably quite cynical...

In short, Cynicism is the new awesome ;D

I can see the point of "We're fucked if they launch nukes", but the entire nuke-fear-network is based around the idea that we're *all* fucked if *anybody* launched nukes anyway =P It's not a good system, in fact it bloody sucks, but then that seems to be the way human nature goes ^.^

And yes, Nuclear power is definitely something that needs looking in to. A lot of the arguments presented against it tend to be flat-out fearmongering...wait, this is politics: Most arguments against anything tend to be flat-out fearmongering >.<
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 11:59:51 am by TheDarkJay »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2010, 01:06:21 pm »

And yes, Nuclear power is definitely something that needs looking in to. A lot of the arguments presented against it tend to be flat-out fearmongering...wait, this is politics: Most arguments against anything tend to be flat-out fearmongering >.<

Main problem with fission power at this point is even if we started building this year the reactors wouldn't go online until 2030. Seems it takes that long just to build safely.

If the ploywell experiments (which looked good last year) manage to get their 100mw reactor running this year then we could feasibly have fusion reactors built by 2015, but they've stopped updating us so who knows what problems they ran into.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2010, 02:05:06 pm »

We don't need an independant nuclear deterrant.  Who is going to fire nuclear missiles at Britain and Britain alone?  If it were a crazed, rogue state, what crazed rogue state is so big we wouldn't be able to take it down with conventional weaponry?  Sure, the missile they fire at us would still hit, but having a nuclear deterrant wouldn't change that.

And... to be honest, we can't afford it.  20 billion pounds a year could go a loooooong way in the rest of the defence budget.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2010, 04:57:11 am »

Are memories so short, did we forget that facisim and nationalism have ended more lives in history than any other force.

i class those under nationalism - we love our country it must be pure. Im currenly reading the Gulag Archipelago by Solzhenitsyn. In my view there doesnt seem to be much difference beteen Lenin, Armien, or a dozen other over lords, they had different idology but their logic for ordeing exectutions seems pretty similar. Killing them people will make our nation stronger. You could go throug the history of armed conflict and classify most struggles under nationalism.

I'm voting Lib Dem because they're the only party who can beat Labour in Hull North, and I'm not suffering another 5 years of a pansy southern Londoner lawyer.
Damn soft southerners and their fancy ways.

death to the southerners - I live near Thirsk - if they buy a tridant they should test it on london. Why buy a tridant if your not going to use it
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2010, 05:02:00 am »

death to the southerners - I live near Thirsk - if they buy a tridant they should test it on london. Why buy a tridant if your not going to use it

Although I don't think London is the best test location I do agree that rather than decommissioning the old missiles we might as well use them. Otherwise it was just a waste of money.

Maybe select targets with a lottery :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Pathos

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2010, 06:36:33 am »

Shoot them at France.

I've also just been extremely depressed ( although not really surprised ) to find out there's only 50 people in my grammar school's anti-Conservative group. I mean, come on. >.>

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2010, 10:21:32 am »

i class those under nationalism - we love our country it must be pure. Im currenly reading the Gulag Archipelago by Solzhenitsyn. In my view there doesnt seem to be much difference beteen Lenin, Armien, or a dozen other over lords, they had different idology but their logic for ordeing exectutions seems pretty similar. Killing them people will make our nation stronger. You could go throug the history of armed conflict and classify most struggles under nationalism.

I dont think you really know what happened, Because of goverment changes and polocies, tens of millions have died of starvation.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2010, 10:35:42 am »

Yeah... the actions of some dictatorships doesn't change the fact that the BNP has retarded policies, a massive racist streak and, most importantly, are completely incompetant.  Yeah, joke about conventional politicians being crap all you like, I'd still prefer them to BNP thugs.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2010, 10:38:22 am »

Yeah... the actions of some dictatorships doesn't change the fact that the BNP has retarded policies, a massive racist streak and, most importantly, are completely incompetant.  Yeah, joke about conventional politicians being crap all you like, I'd still prefer them to BNP thugs.

How does that have to do anything.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2010, 10:39:43 am »

The discussion started from "facism is the biggest cause of deaths" (referring to the BNP) and moved to "communism is the biggest cause of deaths".

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2010, 11:05:28 am »

But I wasnt talking about the BNP, I was talking about Communism. I also know the BNP is dumb as fuck, I think most people here do.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2010, 04:05:31 pm »

Which is obviously relevant, what with the growing support of the already prominent British Communist Party...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17