Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: 2010 General Elections. America has a black man. We have a gay couple.  (Read 15257 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 General Elections. UK's time to shine.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 06:31:56 am »

There can only be one.

The Raving Loony Party...!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 06:38:28 am »

The Monster Raving Loony Party, thank you very much.

Bah, Jerseyboy here, I should give a damn about you mainlanders.
Hilariously, Firefox suggests 'Highlanders' as the correct spelling of mainlanders.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 07:33:07 am »

How prevalent is the influential third party in British politics, anyway?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Pathos

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 07:47:58 am »

Britain has a single party with two sects.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 09:48:08 am »

The Lib Dem's are pretty influential, if its a hung parliment they'll be the deciding factor in all proposals, and I'm thankful for that.

But saying that hung parliments never get anything important done...

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 04:47:30 pm »

Anyone else watch the 3 leaders debate?

I only caught the end of it; will have to check it out sometime.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 04:53:05 pm »

Britain has a single party with two sects.
Could be worse, here in the US we have one party that says NO to everything, and another to whom getting any agreement within the party is like herding cats. Greased, ADHD cats.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 04:54:18 pm »

Anyone else watch the 3 leaders debate?

I only caught the end of it; will have to check it out sometime.

Eh. It's about what you'd expect.

Tories went on about cutting spending. Dodged questions about the Expenses, pushing them towards Labour.

Labour went on about needing to spend more to keep the economy going (I don't think they've heard of America's history with this sort of idea.) Dodged questions about the Expenses, pushing them towards the Tories.

And the Lib Dems? What about the Lib Dems? They did what they usually do, offered a middle ground and got ignored. Weren't really involved in the Expenses discussion, since the worst they did was buying a packet of Hob-Nobs and a new cardigan.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 04:55:53 pm »

I was reading some of the lib dems manifesto, pretty good. They're planning a mansion tax :D

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 05:42:01 pm »

Debate was vaguely interesting.  The parties seem to be slightly split on some policies rather than fundamental ideology.  Labour's biggest success has been to draw the conservatives massively to the left.

A good thing, don't wanna return to the 80s.

Pathos

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 08:10:23 pm »

Debate was vaguely interesting.  The parties seem to be slightly split on some policies rather than fundamental ideology.  Labour's biggest success has been to draw the conservatives massively to the left.

A good thing, don't wanna return to the 80s.

Cameron's an '80s Tory with a different face. The trouble with British politics is that there is NO WAY of forcing a party to uphold election promises short of waiting 4 years.

And even then they'd just pull troops completely out of warzones and win the elections by the unwashed masses. Or something equally ridiculous. ( Hi Falklands. )

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 04:24:23 am »

The trouble with British politics is that there is NO WAY of forcing a party to uphold election promises short of waiting 4 years.

And even then they'd just pull troops completely out of warzones and win the elections by the unwashed masses. Or something equally ridiculous. ( Hi Falklands. )

Pathos, you're either a troll or have very little idea what you're talking about.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 04:45:10 am »

At this point I'll be voting for whichever party in my area will stop either labour or tory getting a seat there. Both of those two are useless. At the moment this is likely to be either green or lib dem.

If the pirate party was in my area I might have been tempted as despite the name they have some good policies. They aren't likely to actually get a seat though.

The trouble with British politics is that there is NO WAY of forcing a party to uphold election promises short of waiting 4 years.

Isn't this true of any 'democratic' system (with the number of years being variable).
I just like how we have to ask permission to protest now, seems counter to the point of protesting.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 04:51:40 am »

Pathos, you're either a troll or have very little idea what you're talking about.

What he's referring to is how, after the UK victory in the Falkland Islands war against Argentina, Prime Minister Thatcher immediately called for an election while approval ratings were high, because the Prime Minister is allowed to do that. And hell, if you're allowed to, why not do it?
!!&!!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 04:56:24 am »

Bwahaahaha, only 3 parties?!?  ;D

We've got 61!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17