Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone Weapons  (Read 642 times)

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stone Weapons
« on: April 09, 2010, 04:30:48 pm »

I downloaded the new Dwarf Fortress and fired up Arena Mode to test out how the new material system changed combat and was surprised to find that there weren't any Obsidian Short Swords on the menu of available weapons.

Are Stones no longer able to be turned into weapons with the "Can_Stone" tag and the "Sharp" tag?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 06:06:31 pm »

There's a bug with stone swords where they show up as wooden swords, due to taking their name template from the wood their handle is made of.

However, weapons can still have the [CAN_STONE] tag. The only difference is that specific stones are "sharp" by having a [MAX_EDGE] listing in their specific file; I've gotten it to work between the ranges of 20000 (the value for Obsidian) and 10000.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 06:30:35 pm »

There's a bug with stone swords where they show up as wooden swords, due to taking their name template from the wood their handle is made of.

However, weapons can still have the [CAN_STONE] tag. The only difference is that specific stones are "sharp" by having a [MAX_EDGE] listing in their specific file; I've gotten it to work between the ranges of 20000 (the value for Obsidian) and 10000.

That's an interesting bug. How well do the Obsidian swords work out? Do they shatter against metal? How well do they cut?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:21:09 pm »

That's an interesting bug. How well do the Obsidian swords work out? Do they shatter against metal? How well do they cut?

Weapons don't break yet, but as far as cutting goes, 20000 ain't half bad - I think Adamantine is about 50000.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!