Poll

Do ya, punk?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 78

Author Topic: [0.34.10] Mayday's Graphics Set - Even in death I still serve  (Read 371706 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25_a] Mayday's DFG - yes
« Reply #900 on: May 25, 2011, 05:05:02 pm »

"But... why are they in SPACE? There's no reason for them to be in SPACE!"
In search of new frontiers of !!SICENCE!!
The sun is like a giant ball of super magma! Imagine the elves we could kill with this!

knaveofstaves

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes bogeymen for their terror-inspiring antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: May 25, 2011, 07:28:54 pm »

The sun is like a giant ball of super magma! Imagine the elves we could kill with this!

J. Robert Oppendorfer says: Now I am become Armok, destroyer of elves...
Dwarven Guidance Counselor, my little scripting project.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 26, 2011, 07:06:38 pm »

J. Robert Oppendorfer says: Now I am become Armok, destroyer of elves...

That doesn't contain nearly the amount of horror and regret that the source has. What you want is something like "Now I am become Armok, destroyer of beards..." or something similar.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Undeceiver

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What am i doing wrong?
« Reply #903 on: May 27, 2011, 12:30:15 am »

I feel terribly stupid. I am just starting to play Dwarf Fortress, been watching some videos and trying some stuff and decided to get this, and i can't make it work.

I downloaded the file on the link, uncompressed it. Copied the folder somewhere else(in case that matters, which i'm 99.99% sure it doesn't), then i copied the data/save folder i had on the original game to this folder. Then i deleted the data/save/region1/raw folder, and then copied the raw folder from the root folder on data/save/region1.

Well; when i launch the game it goes fine, it does seem it has loaded the new graphics and etc, but when i hit on continue game it says "Fatal error: Missing reaction definition".

What the hell did i do wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: What am i doing wrong?
« Reply #904 on: May 27, 2011, 12:54:51 am »

I feel terribly stupid. I am just starting to play Dwarf Fortress, been watching some videos and trying some stuff and decided to get this, and i can't make it work.

I downloaded the file on the link, uncompressed it. Copied the folder somewhere else(in case that matters, which i'm 99.99% sure it doesn't), then i copied the data/save folder i had on the original game to this folder. Then i deleted the data/save/region1/raw folder, and then copied the raw folder from the root folder on data/save/region1.

Well; when i launch the game it goes fine, it does seem it has loaded the new graphics and etc, but when i hit on continue game it says "Fatal error: Missing reaction definition".

What the hell did i do wrong?

Thanks in advance.

I'm gonna assume that you use a modded DF game. First off, that happens when your game has missing reactions. Now, you probably know that, but you copied the whole Mayday's into your save. If you copied the whole Mayday's 'raw' folder into your saves, then I'm pretty sure that the 'objects' folder inside your save is overwritten.

If you have a backup save (before you applied mayday's), you can still fix that. To fix it, open your backup save's 'raw' folder and copy the 'objects' folder into your current save's 'raw' folder.

Sorry if I can't explain it more clearly, English isn't my primary language.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Undeceiver

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 27, 2011, 10:25:48 am »

Well i did copy the whole raw into my save, as that's what it said on the link at the beginning of this page. I do have a backup, obviously; so let me try what you said...

:O It did work.

I suggest to MayDay Mike that he explicitates that in the link, because there it tells you to delete the whole raw folder and then copy the one from the mod.

Thanks for everything ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:18:10 pm by Undeceiver »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #906 on: May 27, 2011, 01:42:40 pm »

Hmmm, never thought about this but yeah- modded DF saves are generally not supported. Unless you know how to merge the raw folders yourself- it's possible but when I posted instructions on how to do it I got so many requests for help that I had to take a week off ;)
<3

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 27, 2011, 02:29:51 pm »

Hmmm, never thought about this but yeah- modded DF saves are generally not supported. Unless you know how to merge the raw folders yourself- it's possible but when I posted instructions on how to do it I got so many requests for help that I had to take a week off ;)

Your avatar always entertains me just by blinking. Such a lovely bit of work.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Undeceiver

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 27, 2011, 09:06:57 pm »

Not sure what exactly you mean with modded saves.

The thing is I started a game with the original game i downloaded, and then wanted to switch to DFG, so i had to copy my old game into this.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 28, 2011, 03:13:46 pm »

Not sure what exactly you mean with modded saves.

The thing is I started a game with the original game i downloaded, and then wanted to switch to DFG, so i had to copy my old game into this.

Did you replace the save game raws?

Undeceiver

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: May 29, 2011, 07:43:05 am »

I already fixed it. The thing is in the webpage it tells you to replace the whole raw, and that gave me the error. Instead, as someone pointed out here, i had to replace only the graphics, not the objects folder.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #911 on: May 29, 2011, 09:04:36 am »

Wait, so you're playing DFG with the original raw folder? Doesn't it make your rocks look like bats and so on?
On the page it also tells:
"your world must be generated with DFG"

Making a world generated in vanilla DF work with DFG is the trick here.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 09:06:15 am by Mike Mayday »
<3

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: June 02, 2011, 12:37:18 am »

Wait, so you're playing DFG with the original raw folder? Doesn't it make your rocks look like bats and so on?
On the page it also tells:
"your world must be generated with DFG"

Making a world generated in vanilla DF work with DFG is the trick here.

Mining those bats is a time honored Mayday tradition.

username

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: June 04, 2011, 10:17:17 pm »

ok I'm uber noober, I was going to passo nthis game just the graphics were a little tooo antiquated for me, but then I saw this bit of work, and 8 bit graphics arnt too bad. So I downloaded, unzipped ,ran it, looks like ASCII.

So I read on

After you copy your df_31_**/data/save folder to a new version of DFG, do this:
1) delete data/save/region***/raw/ (the whole folder!)
2) copy /raw/ from the main DFG folder into your data/save/region***/ folder

I dont have any saves I think since I never played.
then I tried creating a data/save/region and copying /raw/ from the main DFG dir.
ran DFG, ASCII.
So then I thought maybe region*** ment it had to say nubmers so I changed the name to "region000"
Still ascii

How do I installed this?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: June 04, 2011, 11:27:40 pm »

...So I read on

After you copy your df_31_**/data/save folder to a new version of DFG, do this:
1) delete data/save/region***/raw/ (the whole folder!)
2) copy /raw/ from the main DFG folder into your data/save/region***/ folder
I dont have any saves I think since I never played.
Er, those instructions are only for those who have a saved game from a version of Dwarf Fortress without Mayday's Graphics set and you just wanted to update that game with Mayday's graphics. So those instructions do not apply for you.
How do I installed this?
If you don't have a save game you want to keep, it's real easy: Just download a version of the game with the graphics already installed.

For instance, you could download the game with Mayday's graphics:
...if You're using windows, why don't you just download the game from my site? It's a playable copy of DF with the tilesets already installed.

Personally, if you are running on a Windows system, I'd suggest downloading and installing the Lazy Newb Pack. It seems this package is what most new players start with. The Lazy Newb Pack allows players to switch between three different graphics sets (including the Mayday set) with a simple click of a menu option. It also allows players to configure a bunch of options and has a bunch of handy utilities preinstalled. (Dwarf Therapist makes the game much easier to deal with, IMO.)

For complete newbies, I'd strongly recommend either reading some tutorials or watching some video tutorials. The Dwarf Fortress Wiki has a section on tutorials. And many folks have praised Captnduck's video tutorials. (In particular, the DFVIDTUTS2011 Basics video should explain the basics for 2011 version of the game.) Also, there are helpful videos by 51ppycup, Marzen64, jefmajor, and others.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 78