Poll

Do ya, punk?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 78

Author Topic: [0.34.10] Mayday's Graphics Set - Even in death I still serve  (Read 372033 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: [0.31.06] DFG32 - questions and problems thread
« Reply #285 on: June 10, 2010, 01:20:33 pm »

Is there a way to fix my issue with the green workshop tiles blending in with one another, or this a problem on my end?
Could you offer a picture to illustrate your problem?

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: DFG32 - questions and problems thread
« Reply #286 on: June 10, 2010, 01:33:53 pm »

To everyone having problems: read the goddamn FAQ. I don't see a single question here that is not being answered in the FAQ.

Except for shooowop's: that is a general DF problem.

Please try to remember the details of tile sets are quite arcane for alot of us. I've read through the tutorial and FAQ on your site but its not helping me determine if what ive encountered is indeed a bug or if it is working as intended.

I've loaded a save game from 31.04 into DFG32 and the unmined soil/stone etc is showing up with vermin/trees and other object's graphics on the stone tiles.

Having read through the FAQ either Note 1 or 7 could explain what i've encountered potentially. Is what i've described an issue you're familiar with or have i ran into something else that you need to know about? i'm not particularly worried about fixing it so much as making sure you're aware if its a unique issue.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #287 on: June 10, 2010, 01:57:32 pm »

I think I might need to explain Note 1 a bit:
1) delete data/save/region***/raw/ (the whole folder!)
2) copy /raw/ from the main DFG folder into your data/save/region***/ folder

Tell me if it helped :)
<3

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 10, 2010, 02:15:13 pm »

I think I might need to explain Note 1 a bit:
1) delete data/save/region***/raw/ (the whole folder!)
2) copy /raw/ from the main DFG folder into your data/save/region***/ folder

Tell me if it helped :)

Will try after work.

So... the Region# folder isn't critical to loading your Current or time Region - Session/date folders?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #289 on: June 10, 2010, 02:43:19 pm »

So... the Region# folder isn't critical to loading your Current or time Region - Session/date folders?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by that, especially the "loading time Region - Session/date folders" part.
<3

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 10, 2010, 03:02:56 pm »

My bad, i was typing that out just before lunch and i was in a hurry... mmmm stir fry...

What I was talking about was DF's save folder structure. I'm a bit confused about it and what you meant by copying the RAWs into it.

I'm typing this from memory but my save folder typically looks like this:

\Current
\Region1
\Region1 - Month** - Year**
\Region1 - Month*+1 - Year**
\Region2

etc, etc. You get the idea. What i was confused about is deleting the raws from these folders. I'll need to replace the raws in each one right? If so, i take it replacing the raws folder won't change my current fort? Just the rules of the world that fort exists in? I'm not 100% familiar with how the RAWs work. It seems to me if you go about changing the RAWs you may end up with instances of fort saves that could be corrupted?

I'm asking more for my own information than out of any sort of concern you're steering me wrong. I've been playing DF for quite some time now and i'm sick of not having a deeper technical understanding of how it functions.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #291 on: June 10, 2010, 03:06:54 pm »

Current is not a saved game, it is a folder DF uses for whichever one you are playing at the time and is, IIRC, emptied after you save and quit.

It looks like you have autosave on. Each of those folders is a separate saved game. You only need to do what he said on the one you plan to load.. or all of them if you want.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 10, 2010, 03:07:44 pm »

Yep, i keep autosave on.

Bradan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 10, 2010, 03:09:30 pm »

Hey everyone,
Long time player and first time poster here. :)

First of all, thanks to Toady for his amazing work throughout the years, and especially for DF2010! And thanks Mike for your awesome graphics pack, been using it for 2 years or so already. :)

I just wanna point out that the raw entry for Gypsum is screwed up - its tile is set to an empty square (23 instead of 35) and its background colour is messed up too (black instead of light gray).

The new tile for ores (at least limonite/hematite/magnetite, haven't seen the rest yet) makes my eyes bleed a bit but i guess it's just a matter of getting used to it. :)

Keep up the good work!

The Dumb D0rf out.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #294 on: June 10, 2010, 03:10:06 pm »

Yep, i keep autosave on.

To answer your original question, no the original 'region#' folder is not used when loading an autosave. They are entirely separate saved games at that point. You could, in fact, delete all but the latest one and continue playing that one.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #295 on: June 10, 2010, 03:22:09 pm »

Braden, thanks for pointing out the gypsum bug. I'll try to make a better tile for the ores too.
<3

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 10, 2010, 04:14:09 pm »

Yep, i keep autosave on.

To answer your original question, no the original 'region#' folder is not used when loading an autosave. They are entirely separate saved games at that point. You could, in fact, delete all but the latest one and continue playing that one.

gotcha, so each save also preserves the raws that are pertinent to that save. thanks.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #297 on: June 10, 2010, 04:15:41 pm »

On 31.05 olivines doors show up as white suns in green backgrounds. I wonder if it is an internal DF bug...
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Deozaan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 10, 2010, 07:57:00 pm »

First off I just want to say thanks Mike for this awesome graphic set. I've been using it for probably 2 or 3 years now and this is what Dwarf Fortress is to me.

I just started a new world generated with DFG32 (0.31.06) and thought I'd mention the following graphical anomolies:

• Rough Hewn Bituminous Coal walls look like gears.
  • Stingray looks like a lever.
  • Tigerfish looks like meat (drumstick).
  • Milkfish also look like meat.
  • Rough Hewn Conglomerate wall looks like a boulder.
  • Rough Hewn Alabaster wall looks like a crown/traps.

I don't know how the graphics tilesets work in this game, so if there's nothing that can be done about these things,
please know that I'm mentioning these not to complain but rather in case you were unaware so they can be fixed, if possible.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:36:33 pm by Deozaan »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 10, 2010, 10:03:03 pm »

First off I just want to say thanks Mike for this awesome graphic set. I've been using it for probably 2 or 3 years now and this is what Dwarf Fortress is to me.

I just started a new world generated with DFG32 (0.31.06) and thought I'd mention the following graphical anomolies:

• Rough Hewn Bituminous Coal walls look like gears.
  • Stingray looks like a lever.
  • Tigerfish looks like meat (drumstick).
  • Milkfish also look like meat.
  • Rough Hewn Conglomerate wall looks like a boulder.
  • Rough Hewn Alabaster wall looks like a crown/traps.

I don't know how the graphics tilesets work in this game, so if there's nothing that can be done about these things,
please know that I'm mentioning these not to complain but rather in case you were unaware so they can be fixed, if possible.

Thanks again!

Anomalies like that have been around in the Mayday set for a while.  I don't know if it's changed or not but for the longest magnetite looked like butterflies.  I honestly don't know whether or not there can be anything done about some of them but based on all the changes in his newest set it sounds like he's trying to make it the least awkward looking as possible. 

Some of the stuff you listed I think was done on purpose.  Like the bituminous coal walls, I think he made them the gear/alternate gem shape to differentiate them from other gem walls.  I would probably suggest changing the graphic to look more like a gem but I don't know what else might be using that graphic.

As for the rest, well fish should probably look like fish.  I don't know much about editing raws but I think changing creature graphics isn't that big of a deal, not like tiles.  Some creatures do use tile graphics so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

In any case, making everything look right when you only have a limited number of tiles to work with can be a real challenge.  That's why Mike has to double up on a lot of the graphics.  There's tricks you can use to make them look different(see the capital X in the image file for a demonstration) but at the end of the day you're still left with just 256 tiles.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 78