Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arena designation  (Read 734 times)

UFLinguist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Arena designation
« on: April 09, 2010, 11:18:17 am »

Hello everyone! I've been playing for only a couple months but am roughly familiar with most of the game at this point, and have thus begun to lurk the forums. And in my lurking and seeing of a glorious new version and such, and that new fancy arena mode, I thought I'd comment.
I'm most of the way through a d40 (I think that's how you refer to the last version to come out? I have the Mayday version that was current until April 1) Mega Construction. Well, perhaps not very mega but certainly a construction, an arena roughly based off of a football stadium's shape but on a smaller scale. It's about 6 stories tall and maybe 15x20 in size.
Anyways, I'm making this arena and trapping nasties to fight one another for Fun and I think about the new version, and that new arena. What if you could designate an area as an Arena? That way you could set up chairs and stuff and then release animals into the arena, and dwarves would flock in to watch. Or you could set it, sort of like with the trade Depot for "Trader Requested" but instead it'd be "Spectators Requested" and people would show up for the fight. And get good feelings from seeing animals dismembered unless it was a favorite animal or another dwarf or something.
So, what do you think?

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
Re: Arena designation
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 07:11:19 pm »

Hello everyone! I've been playing for only a couple months but am roughly familiar with most of the game at this point, and have thus begun to lurk the forums. And in my lurking and seeing of a glorious new version and such, and that new fancy arena mode, I thought I'd comment.

Welcome commenter! It's good to see some new blood in here.

Don't be intimidated by our attempts to give you a proper orintation. We're just trying to keep things organized.

Your .40d is old news now that the 0.31.0X series has arrived, but it's not really stable just now, so you might as well put off the upgrade for a bit.

*snip*

Anyways, I'm making this arena and trapping nasties to fight one another for Fun and I think about the new version, and that new arena. What if you could designate an area as an Arena? That way you could set up chairs and stuff and then release animals into the arena, and dwarves would flock in to watch. Or you could set it, sort of like with the trade Depot for "Trader Requested" but instead it'd be "Spectators Requested" and people would show up for the fight. And get good feelings from seeing animals dismembered unless it was a favorite animal or another dwarf or something.
So, what do you think?

This isn't that bad of an idea, it's just that...

Well, I've supported this idea in the past.

I'd drop you some links to some other threads on this topic, but my search-Fu is weak. Someone more skilled will be along shortly to conjure up the threads in question.

Well, I found one. That's something.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 07:13:23 pm by Felblood »
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.