Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat preferences  (Read 571 times)

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
Combat preferences
« on: April 09, 2010, 11:01:54 am »

Now I don't know if this has been suggested before, but I was thinking about ways to make combat more interesting overall, but especially for the adventurer/arena mode combat player. This is basically a way of showing the player a bit of personality, rather than the usual approach of telling the player that these creatures have personality. Essentially, in much the same way as we have normal distributions for heights etc, we would have weighted distributions for combat styles. Under the current system, I can think of a few:
Dirty Fighter - uses gouges, pinches, has a preference for knives, backstabs, poison use etc
Show off/efficiency fighter - tries to finish every fight quickly by going for lethal hits (towards head usually), prefers weapons like the spear or sword
Psycho - will attempt to break every bone in your body and tear off limbs etc
Boxer - will use punches more than normal
Thrower - usually large or flying creatures that use the environment to kill their enemies
Defensive - usually heavily armoured, waits for the right moment to strike
Offensive - takes massive risks, is less armoured etc.

Those aren't concrete or anything, but that is the sort of thing you would have. Then somewhere in the raws, it would look like this:
[Offensive][Thrower][Psycho]
5:15:0.5

Indicating that about 5% of the pop will have offensive characteristics, 15% thrower characteristics and 0.5% psycho characteristics. Some could potentially have a mix of these, and some contradictory mixes would just cancel out, but overall I think this would add quite a bit of character to the game. I see the main problem being the combination of two things.

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combat preferences
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 03:42:49 am »

Interesting. Could also have a cultural component. You might want to train your dwarves in a specific way as well.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.