Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: MUD with permadeath?  (Read 6419 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MUD with permadeath?
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:22:36 pm »

I've really been wanting to start a new mud, especially since Dusk is down, but I'm so tired of super-over-powered players and long grinds.

So are there any permadeath muds where I can hop on, make friends, have fun, then die horrible without worry to much about maximizing my stat potential etc. etc. ?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: MUD with permadeath?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:24:15 pm »

Armageddon has permadeath and is pretty unforgiving, but it may not be the best one if you're looking for friends.  The world is very harsh and since it's enforced RP the people become very harsh.  A few times the other players scared me so bad I couldn't RP.  Expect to get mugged.
Shoes...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:25:57 pm »

Yeah, I'll give it a try but that does sound harsh.

I was thinking more a multiplayer version of zapm somehow. :P

Dervin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 10:38:39 pm »

Yeah Armageddon can be really fun at times but the other players can be really intimidating. I was in the T'zai Byn and I suggest if you get into the game you join them to.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 10:45:18 pm »

Not to derail or anything, but howso intimidating?
Hello Hunam

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:01:34 pm »

What is this "T'zai Byn"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:10:09 pm »

If I remember right it's a mercenary guild.  You get paid to gather up in groups and fall off the Shield Wall.

Intimidating as in, there's a huge ghetto called the Labyrinth, and if you're a human and get caught on the East side (or an elf and get caught on the west side) people beat you up, tell you to beg for your life, and use evil shadow magic.  There are nobles called Templars who have all kinds of magic and are impossibly powerful and they love to rub it in your face, and if you don't thank them for the honor of being harassed they'll probably kill you.

Also there are half giants.  They're stupid, and a cookie cutter race.  All of them are essentially the same character.  They can do whatever they want because most of them work for the city watch and if you stand up to them they smash you back down.
Shoes...

Dervin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 11:14:07 pm »

Cthulhu did a good job of explaining it.http://www.armageddon.org/ic/ Thats some more info on the clans. You can find out if there Byn or not because they wear military brown robes or something like that.

[Edit] Wait gather up in groups and fall of the shield wall? I don't remember doing that.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:15:39 pm by Dervin »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 11:24:48 pm »

It was a joke because there are a lot of new players in the Byn and new players like to get caught in sandstorms and walk off the shield wall/into the silt sea/etc.
Shoes...

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 11:26:46 pm »

If I remember right it's a mercenary guild.  You get paid to gather up in groups and fall off the Shield Wall.

Intimidating as in, there's a huge ghetto called the Labyrinth, and if you're a human and get caught on the East side (or an elf and get caught on the west side) people beat you up, tell you to beg for your life, and use evil shadow magic.  There are nobles called Templars who have all kinds of magic and are impossibly powerful and they love to rub it in your face, and if you don't thank them for the honor of being harassed they'll probably kill you.

Also there are half giants.  They're stupid, and a cookie cutter race.  All of them are essentially the same character.  They can do whatever they want because most of them work for the city watch and if you stand up to them they smash you back down.

Sounds more like grief then RP
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Dervin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 11:29:30 pm »

It was a joke because there are a lot of new players in the Byn and new players like to get caught in sandstorms and walk off the shield wall/into the silt sea/etc.
Why did I never hear of this joke.  :'(

[Edit] Holy shit! That reminds me of that time I was with my squad outside of Allakan or whatever the name of the city is and we were standing around talking and some dwarf rode off the shield wall. Was pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:08:16 am by Dervin »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 11:52:14 am »

Sounds more like grief then RP

Yay for Space Station 13 players!
We understand good Roleplay!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 06:59:23 pm »

After reading the help files for this ( of which there are far too many, all of which you need to read to play well) its not grief. Just more of a case of extreme power, with which comes extreme corruption apparently. Gonna give it a try, though I'll probably die within 10 minutes
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 07:31:40 pm »

I gonna join this.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 07:33:12 pm »

Yeah, SS13 griefing is griefing, because they're meant to be contributing to the space station.  This is a pretty lawless place, and what's griefing there is roleplay here, to an extent.  You can't just run around killing people unless you have a reason to do so.  Well, you can, but you won't get karma.  Karma proves you're a good roleplayer and allows you access to the cooler races and classes.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3