Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: MUD with permadeath?  (Read 6414 times)

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
Re: MUD with permadeath?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 07:47:12 pm »

Good MUDs with permadeath? DartMUD has an excellent death system. If you are killed, you begin to decay and your spirit hovers over your body. If someone gets to you in time that has the skills and equipment to revive you then you live, if not, you die forever. You can get an amulet and your spirit will be transferred into that if you die. Once taken, someone can channel your spirit into another body and you take control of it. If someone doesn't like you, they can toss your amulet into the ocean or some other inacessable place. You will effectively be dead.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 09:17:16 pm »

Yeah, SS13 griefing is griefing, because they're meant to be contributing to the space station.  This is a pretty lawless place, and what's griefing there is roleplay here, to an extent.  You can't just run around killing people unless you have a reason to do so.  Well, you can, but you won't get karma.  Karma proves you're a good roleplayer and allows you access to the cooler races and classes.

Correctin: Karma proves that the Imms like you more than everyone else. I've heard tales of heavy bias in the awarding of Karma. Feel free to ignore me, though. I don't like ArmageddonMUD.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 09:24:57 pm »

The fact that an admin has to approve each character you make is...slow...made one 3 hours ago, and its still pending. With as much as a 24 hour wait  :'( I went through all the help file and wanted to dive right in, oh well
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 09:36:25 pm »

Okay, I'm doing it. I'm diving in, going to give it a try!

This labrynth place seems like a nice, friendly place to start off...

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 09:45:21 pm »

This calls for...new topic thread!
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 09:46:10 pm »

Most good permadeath games are RP-intensive. Which is kinda a good thing.

Yeah, Armageddon is pretty cool, but I hate how the players are also "harsh" OOCly. It's full of masochists and sadists. The game started as harshness being a way for players to work together to survive against the environment, but somehow the people who ended up staying are the ones arguing how it's bad RP to be nice to people in-game. But the codebase is IMHO, one of the best of any MUD out there.

I still miss that dwarf I had who was a corporal at the Byn, but used to get whipped for doing all sorts of dumb things like falling off the Shield Wall, accidentally getting a recruit killed, and leaving his Sergeant to die when the tarantulas came after him. Probably the most fun I've ever had in a game.

It's very newbie-friendly, though. It sounds like a lot of griefing, but people actually avoid killing players unless it makes the game more memorable for the victim. As they say, it's not usually the players who kill you, it's the environment. If someone backstabs you out of nowhere, it's more likely to be a NPC.

For other games..
There's Shadows of Isildur which is probably the second best code wise. And Harshlands.

If you like taking up someone else's character and have a character already fully living in the world, with a solid background, there's Firan.

Faery Tale Online is practically grind-free, permadeath, but there's very little action.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 10:35:30 pm »

Yeah, I know it's not grief, as killing people can be good roleplay in a harsh enviroment.
I was just giving a virtual high-five to another SS13 member! :D
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 07:56:03 am »

Hey, bumping this... anyone else know any good MUDs with permadeath? Lol, I googled it and the B12 thread popped up.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Pathos

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 08:41:11 am »

That game's setting sounds a hell of a lot like Dark Sun...

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 09:20:28 am »

What was the name of that mud where you come out of stasis with only very vague memories? Set in space aboard a crazy ship, I never really got into it but it seemed pretty good.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 04:32:34 pm »

Thread hijack...

Is there and MU* (mush, mud whatever) with a team like Arcanum? Late 18th steampunk and magic?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 02:52:31 am »

MUME's trolls could suffer 'sundeath' if caught in an outdoor room during daylight hours, which kicked them back to level 1 and removed all gear. At level one they can punch the face in on three level 14's at once, however... I recall franticly wandering the troll starting zone hunting down a dwarf, an elf, and a human trying to PK us.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 03:16:09 am »

Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 10:58:12 am »

I have been playing the same character on Armageddon for.. years.

Yet to find a better permadeath MUD to date. Not that I am a masochist though, I just don't like the flavour of SoI or Harshlands (they aren't Harsh).

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 11:01:44 am »

I have been playing the same character on Armageddon for.. years.

Don't they like die of old age after a few years? Or get whomped by a tarantula/mek in the middle of the desert.
Pages: 1 [2] 3