Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blood Mechanics  (Read 1515 times)

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blood Mechanics
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:20:15 pm »

Been playing with contaminants in the arena.
It turns out an Armokian temple is efficient to make, because water can't wash contaminants over edges. (I expected waterfalls to purify blood away, like pumps purify salt away.)

There seem to be three levels of blood - spatter, smear, and pool. At pool, the tile is full, and the lower two can be stacked up into pools. If there's space, pools and smears can be spread around into spatters.

Different types of contaminants can happily stack separate pools on one tile, including blood from different named creatures.

Walls absorb blood.

All put together...
Creating blood in flowing water is much more efficient, as new blood falling on existing pools essentially disappears.
The pools of blood will back up at the edge of any waterfall, so a circulating system where the water goes over an edge and is then pumped back up will accumulate blood added to it indefinitely. From above, a fully blooded water body looks exactly like magma. If you can find enough arthropods, mixed white and red contaminants look exactly like magma from the same z-level, although the bloodied walls will probably give it away.

Unfortunately, because of the wrinkle of naming, goblins are no longer a good candidate for bloodying your place of worship.
Handling large amounts of several kinds of contaminants seems to kill fps very effectively.
Contaminants don't seem to be able to go up z-levels either.
Also, while water can't wash contaminants off edges, it can drop still-bleeding parts, which can make it seem as if blood is changing z-levels.

I have occasionally made infinite blood generators. I mobbed blizzard men with teamed giant scorpions. (The water likes to bug out and stop drowning things.) Nobody seemed to want to die, but there was lots of scorpion blood.

Somewhat less reliable, I dropped a hydra, injuring it, and then it duelled a basking shark for about ten minutes, spewing shark blood the entire time.

I was sad to learn that dragons make excellent janitors. The fire instantly destroys contaminants, even underwater.

So, like, hail Armok, and stuff.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

dudeinthedark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:50:31 pm »

Why not simply put thousands of cats together in a small room?

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 12:39:27 pm »

Oh man, now I want to create an actual shrine for the blood god.
Create a pool of pure blood, drop 100+ capture goblin down 100+ z-level.  Afterward, have each golbin drown in the pool of their comrade's blood.
Bonus with adding elf blood.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 01:08:48 pm »

Been playing with contaminants in the arena.

:dissertation about blood physics:

So, like, hail Armok, and stuff.

I rate this thread D for Dwarf.

You sir, are a champion among champions.

Might I recommend you wiki the blood physics, that way other aspiring players may benefit from your experience.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 01:55:31 pm »

If a pool of blood forms on a retracting drawbridge, does it fall when the drawbridge retracts?

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 01:56:02 pm »

Yay, blood science!

Now I need to do some confidence intervals on the effects of size on combat success.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 02:34:44 pm »

To do:

Design automated refuse incineration and fortress cleaning apparatus using dragons and magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 03:05:17 pm »

You mention blood/contaminents back up behind a waterfall, but what if the source tile of a pump has a contaminent?

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 03:39:15 pm »

I recall reading somewhere that blood doesn't function like water, so you can't really make a serious pool/river of it. Yet.
And when the day comes where this is a possibility...
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog