Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28

Author Topic: Weapon research  (Read 148323 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon research
« Reply #270 on: May 26, 2010, 09:41:09 pm »

Doesn't the hammerer come with his own hammer, though?

It can be replaced (:

I love the idea of Dwarven Justice being dispensed with a sacred nerf weapon.

Does the hammerer even come any more? I thought there was no tag that allowed for his weapon.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 26, 2010, 11:54:00 pm »

We need to do this for traps...

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 27, 2010, 01:02:31 am »

We need to do this for traps...

What if you made a platinum hammer trap?
For they would be your masters.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 27, 2010, 02:50:04 am »

Well, some of the issues with blunt weapons could be handled by adding extra attacks to blunt-type weapons:

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER_WAR]
[NAME:war hammer:war hammers]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[TWO_HANDED:37500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:32500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:50:200:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2000]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:50:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2000]

By adding that, a warhammer with strike with a sharpened edge half the time, but will have a very small penetration, allowing smashing attacks to cause bleeding (and subsequently benefit from a nice edge) Granted, this won't make axes weaker, but that can be changed by adding additional attack types to axes to represent smaller hit areas with greater penetration and wider hit areas with less penetration.

Want to add a wrestling weapon that uses claws with gouging and raking attacks. Imagine adamantine tiger claws.

Also, the biggest issue with adamantine is that it's totally inelastic. It needs at least an elasticity greater than zero, if only to make it effective against high impact weapons. I'm interested to see how effective adamantine thread robes would be against things...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:57:37 am by Hague »

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 27, 2010, 03:32:17 am »

Seriously all it takes to fix blunt weapons is multiply their contact area by around 10 (I use 10, but I also havent done arena tests.  My guess is a little lower would be more balanced, given they way they can sortof punch through armor).  They penetrate armor better then other stuff, but also kill a little slower and still cause minimal bleeding and severage, so if you don't kill the target it lives.  They become general purpose decent weapons that can be made out of basically any metal you have lying around and still work.  Maces still > hammers but I guess you could make them cost 2 bars or fiddle with the attack speeds or something. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

RysanMarquise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 15, 2010, 09:43:45 pm »

Has this been retested for later versions?

I have had my computer at this for 3 hours and have only finished one material/weapon material/armor category out of the over 150 different categories. Clearly I am not the best choice to be doing this.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 17, 2010, 12:07:20 pm »

There's nothing in the change log of the bugtracker justifying a re-run. On the other hand, the issues are maybe not seen as bugs...

What combination have you run? I ask because the combinations vary greatly in execution length. Copper hammer against anything takes forever, while steel axe against silver, iron, copper or bronze armor is over fairly quickly.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 10, 2010, 03:13:35 pm »

There's nothing in the change log of the bugtracker justifying a re-run. On the other hand, the issues are maybe not seen as bugs...

What combination have you run? I ask because the combinations vary greatly in execution length. Copper hammer against anything takes forever, while steel axe against silver, iron, copper or bronze armor is over fairly quickly.

It's been a while now, and Toady has definitely changed a few things since these tests were first run, so it might be worthwhile to run them again and see what pops out (I admit, I'm especially interested in the overall effectiveness of bronze armor and weapons, since it's more plentiful than iron in my current fort). Hammers and whips might be especially worth testing.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 10, 2010, 03:24:36 pm »

It's been a while now, and Toady has definitely changed a few things since these tests were first run, so it might be worthwhile to run them again and see what pops out (I admit, I'm especially interested in the overall effectiveness of bronze armor and weapons, since it's more plentiful than iron in my current fort). Hammers and whips might be especially worth testing.

Whips completely ignore armour and seem to do incredible damage with every hit. I suspect a bug.

I run dwarves with steel armour and steel warhammers. They kick ass. 2 of em killed 8 goblins and a goblin-brainwashed elf with ease. One lost an ear. Hammers are great as they reliably do damage--they don't seem to lop off limbs for the same sort of visceral damage as other weapons, but they will also reliably bust someone up through their armour, which edged weapons don't tend to do as effectively (seems pretty good and logical to me).

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 10, 2010, 04:15:01 pm »

I run dwarves with steel armour and steel warhammers. They kick ass. 2 of em killed 8 goblins and a goblin-brainwashed elf with ease. One lost an ear. Hammers are great as they reliably do damage--they don't seem to lop off limbs for the same sort of visceral damage as other weapons, but they will also reliably bust someone up through their armour, which edged weapons don't tend to do as effectively (seems pretty good and logical to me).

Yeah, steel everything works great, of course. The question I'm having to deal with is what to do when you've got limited quantities of iron/steel but lots and lots and lots of bronze. Mixed suits of steel helm/mail/gauntlets/high boots, bronze greaves/breastplate/shield, bronze warhammers and steel axes seem to do just fine against humans and goblins, but every once and a while one of my dudes gets a little cut up, so I wonder. Basically I'm just wondering "is steel necessary, or is bronze good enough for all practical purposes," given that you're normally fighting goblins wearing iron.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 10, 2010, 06:18:40 pm »

Whips aren't bugged as such, they are just not modeled well. Their RAW entries are fine, the problem is that weapons are assumed to be rigid. Even leather whips would be excellent vs. armor since whips behave more like tiny supersonic hammers.
Bronze tends to be good enough for anything. Good compromise for blunt and bolts, but copper and silver are strong competitors. Bronze blades defeat copper but not iron, same as steel. It is also overkill or ineffective against the same things as steel when used as armor.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 10, 2010, 06:41:09 pm »

Even leather whips would be excellent vs. armor since whips behave more like tiny supersonic hammers.

Siggeded.

EDIT: I have now mastered the secret technique of the FOURFIVE-QUOTE SIGNATURE!

EDIT2:
I don't think it even takes that many wafers (2-3? Not much with the massive and multiple tubes we get these days).

Bug: Everything only takes one metal bar/wafer to make.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 11:25:34 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 10, 2010, 07:55:21 pm »

My hammermen seem less to do less damage against most foes,however when i attacked a forgotten beast made of salt they one-shotted it.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 10, 2010, 08:05:24 pm »

Hmmm....Everyone brings up bronze but why does poor little bismuth bronze get left out?  :'(
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 10, 2010, 08:53:33 pm »

Hmmm....Everyone brings up bronze but why does poor little bismuth bronze get left out?  :'(

Because it has the exact same properties as bronze :P

I do love the stuff though. My current fort has something like ~300 bars of bismuth bronze because I brought ~75 bismuthinite ore at embark, just for kicks.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28