Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28

Author Topic: Weapon research  (Read 148393 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon research
« Reply #225 on: May 06, 2010, 07:01:23 am »

This thread looks like people arguing against imaginary people now. Is anyone still saying the things people are arguing against?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 06, 2010, 12:39:48 pm »

Reasonably so. Lead is hard to break or breach, and artifact = massive bonus. Your military's legs should be fine.

You mean my adventurer's legs. I put those lead greaves in a lead bin and abandoned.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 06, 2010, 09:29:26 pm »

This whole "plate is uber" issue doesn't take into account that DF uses a materials-based system. If you make plate arbitrarily and objectively that wonderful, then why not just forge a bunch of copper plate? Why develope steel at all? Or hunt for HFS metal?
Good points. But who wants to make plate arbitrarily and objectively wonderful? I certainly don't. Copper plate could deflect badly aimed strikes almost as good as steel plate, but it would be easily penetrated by well aimed blows. Also, it would deform much more quickly and become useless or even harmful for the wearer.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Sean0931

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 07, 2010, 01:28:45 pm »

Debate time.

Sorry, but this isn't accurate. By this point in time, the missle weapon--bows, crossbows, gunpowder weapons--were becoming more and more dominant, and pole weapons were more and more in use because of missle calvalry, the increasing obsolescence of knights, and advances in tactics, not because of the armour.

Ah, I meant the 15th century, before handheld gunpowder weapons were worth a damn, sorry. In which case what I said still stands, because swords were more or less unused, and missile cavalry were almost unheard of, at least in European combat.

Once again from the top: Swords could, and did, penetrate even high quality plate. Even if you want to pretend that they didn't, such plate had gaps and weak points, which someone with enough skill could certainly pierce with a sword.

Surely you can see the problem with this? A sword wielder was at a huge disadvantage to a mace wielder, because while a sword could injure a knight through a weak area in his armour, albeit with a extremely difficult thrust, a mace wielder could kill or cripple his enemy with a hit to almost any part of the body, and could still kill in the same manner as a sword due to the spike most would have at the tip. A mace is roughly the same weight as a sword, if not lighter, and easy to handle without exquisite balancing, as the majority of weight is concentrated at the end. The comment someone mad earlier about the sword being the only weapon you could disarm someone with is pure nonsense, i would like to hear the logic behind it.

People fought duels in plate, after all. Duels were typically fought to at least the point of first blood. Someone eventually won the duel. This even happened in tournaments, where tournament armour was worn--and tournament armour was even heavier and more resistant than battlefield armour.

I would like to hear a source stating most medieval duels were fought with swords. More importantly, you seem to be under the impression that I think swords cannot hurt a man in plate armour. They can, but it is much, much harder than using a polearm or flanged mace.

Polearms had reach, and required less skill to use, which is why swords were less common. Not because of the armour, but because it was a lot cheaper and easier to hand a bunch of peasants and half-trained levies polearms, than to spend years to decades, training knights--knights at that point becoming obsolete because of improvements in gunpowder and crossbow technologies.

You do know that the main meelee combatants in that period were men-at-arms? Plate armoured, highly dedicated and trained soldiers. Wielding polearms, with rare exception. Levies only became common again once gunpowder weapons were refined enough to change the face of battlefield combat, rather than just siege warfare. So these soldiers were being trained from early or pre-teens with polearms. Even archers, who generally carried some form of melee weapon, most commonly pollaxes, would be training for a year or more using them. After all, war is long periods of boredom interspersed with short periods of excitement.

If you really want to insist that swords can't penetrate steel, then please explain why there were any armour improvements after maille? Once you had steel maille, the theory should go, it should be impossible to cut through it with a sword, making the full chain suit impenetrable.
This is both a strawman and a logical fallacy. Again, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that anyone is saying that swords cannot hurt people in plate armour. And the latter part is just silly, even ignoring why improving armour is a good thing even when the chance of penetration is small, and that maille doesn't cover as much of the body as plate does, armour wasn't designed to protect against only swords y'know.

It wasn't, and neither was plate. Plate was better for a lot of reasons, but it certainly wasn't a "cloak of invulnerability".

No-one said it was. But it did render swords more or less obsolete for a good hundred years, because there were much more suitable weapons available.

As for sources? Well, any books on medieval warfare of the period should tell you, and for me this has brought back the old history itch, so I think I'll dig out some of mine later for a re-read. But for all you who don't enjoy textbooks. the best easy to read information is probably of the fictional kind, and the best I've ever read has to be "Azincourt" by Bernard Cornwell, the author of Sharpe. As well as being well researched, it's fantastic.

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 07, 2010, 02:31:20 pm »

What's the deal with hammers not sending stuff flying anymore, is there still room for that in the current system and the physics is just nerfed or is it gone for good? This is an important queston.

It's possible, try platinum hammers. The problem is that the raws contain lots of default values, and that the force of impact doesn't seem to be correctly calculated yet.

Doesn't work for me :(
Come think I haven't seen body-flinging behavior at all in the new versions so far, even dropping goblins onto traps from great height seems to pretty much leave everything neatly stacked in a square, maybe when things get really crazy a little spread into the adjacent ones.

Keep up the good work figuring this shit out though you rock. Hope some semblance of the old-style dramatic physics get restored sooner or later.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 07, 2010, 03:11:28 pm »

The data here is great, but I have a question... How about Pikes?

Dwarfs can't make them, but I get enough migrants that are pikedwarfs, so I have purchased pikes for their use.  I expect the best metal to ever see in the game (fortress at least) without modding is the bronze for pikes, of varying quality.

They seem to be effective but it would be nice to know how they "officially" stand currently.

igless

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 07, 2010, 03:21:23 pm »

What's the deal with hammers not sending stuff flying anymore, is there still room for that in the current system and the physics is just nerfed or is it gone for good? This is an important queston.

It's possible, try platinum hammers. The problem is that the raws contain lots of default values, and that the force of impact doesn't seem to be correctly calculated yet.

Doesn't work for me :(
Come think I haven't seen body-flinging behavior at all in the new versions so far, even dropping goblins onto traps from great height seems to pretty much leave everything neatly stacked in a square, maybe when things get really crazy a little spread into the adjacent ones.

Keep up the good work figuring this shit out though you rock. Hope some semblance of the old-style dramatic physics get restored sooner or later.

Oh, you meant it literally.Yeah, those days seem to be over.
99 barrels of beer!

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 07, 2010, 04:19:35 pm »

The data here is great, but I have a question... How about Pikes?

Dwarfs can't make them, but I get enough migrants that are pikedwarfs, so I have purchased pikes for their use.  I expect the best metal to ever see in the game (fortress at least) without modding is the bronze for pikes, of varying quality.

They seem to be effective but it would be nice to know how they "officially" stand currently.

Considering the fact that pikes count as edged weapons IŽd assume that Adamantine and Steel are a better material for pikes than bronze

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 07, 2010, 04:41:40 pm »

Yes, but dwarfs can't make pikes, and you can pretty much only get bronze pikes in trade from the humans, so that's why I stated I think bronze is the best we'd ever see.

They have the same attack size as a battle axe (800), and are edged, so I would hope the weapons are among the best.

Assuming this is up to date on the values:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Pike_%28weapon%29
igless

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 07, 2010, 05:01:21 pm »

Yes, but dwarfs can't make pikes, and you can pretty much only get bronze pikes in trade from the humans, so that's why I stated I think bronze is the best we'd ever see.

They have the same attack size as a battle axe (800), and are edged, so I would hope the weapons are among the best.

Oh yes, I forgot...
well, considering the materials, probably available for import, I think bronze might de facto be the best material.

I assume from their attacks Pikes can be best compared to a spear in arena fights (just with more damage):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53571.0

For which bronze seems to be the best material against iron/bronze armor

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 07, 2010, 08:24:08 pm »

Can dwarves make them in moods? I know we used to be able to get blowguns (which was odd, considering they were used for bludgeoning...), so it's not unlikely.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 07, 2010, 11:00:46 pm »

Do we have any details on whether the weapon size has any impact at all on the combat ability?  I'm in no way certain about this, but I thought the important parameters were in the ATTACK tag(s) of the weapon, not the SIZE, which I don't know the purpose of (as who can wield it comes from the TWO_HANDED and MINIMUM_SIZE tags, and how much material it uses seems come from MATERIAL_SIZE.

The predominant axe attack, the "hack", is an edged attack of area 40,000 with a penetration depth of 6000 and a velocity modifier of 1250.  The sword slash is contact area 20000, depth 4000 and velocity 1250.  The spear is area 20, depth 10000, velocity 1000.  The pike is area 20, depth 12000, velocity 1000.

So, assuming (as initial tests in this thread and others seem to have shown) that higher is better for all numbers, axes are just plain better.  What is missing is that for an attack of a given power, the actual impact force is applied over the entire contact area.  So for two attacks that are identical but for one hitting with a 40,000 area (axe head) and the other hitting with a 20 area (spear point), the latter should penetrate a hell of a lot deeper.  This shouldn't be something that needs to be compensated for with higher possible penetration depths or higher velocity modifiers - a smaller impact area should mean a larger impact force, period.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 09, 2010, 08:26:41 pm »

Sean0931: You're rendering your own arguments moot by implying that all swords were "created equal". Sure, a flanged mace, or a warhammer, or what have you, might do a great job on armour, but then so did some sword designs. I never claimed that any sword could beat any plate.

For that matter, a decent two-handed sword could give a fine beatdown to a man in plate, without even being sharpened.

Swords were good because swords were versatile.

As far as duelling: Nobles, and even some merchants, carried swords around, in every day life. There were quite a few training schools devoted to swordsmanship. The sword was a hugely popular weapon. Sure, there probably were quite a few duels fought with clubs or sticks or halberds or fishing poles, but the tendancy was to use swords, where available. 

Considering that a variety of swords were made exclusively for duelling and unarmed combat (Rapier, epee, foil), that those sword types were immensely popular--to the point that they are still used for duels today--and that the sword was, and remains, the utmost symbolic weapon of the middle ages--what exactly do you think people were using to fight duels?

And quoting fantasy sources is...yeah. Pretty much the problem. Regardless of how "well researched" you think it might be.

Read up on the German school of fencing. Deutsche Fechtschule, Johannes Liechtenauer. It's actually contemporary (1540's, anyway). It was used and was meant for the real world. That's the most clear and easy to understand source I can think of, for this purpose. There are sections on unarmoured combat, and sections on armoured combat. Both involve swords, and both are dissimilar.

The same goes for the Italian school: Fiore dei Liberi (approx 1350's-1410's)'s "Flower of Battle" is most likely the best source.

Read up on the Estoc. Read up on plate armour.
And please read contemporary historical sources.

Swords never became obsolete until gunpowder rendered them obsolete. And they weren't completely obsolete, as functional military weapons, until the early 20th century. They were finally phased out by the British between the years 1908-1938. And swords were used against polearms. That's much of what those big, 2-handed swords were designed to counter.

And why would a sword wielder be at a disadvantage to a mace wielder? Swords could thrust, stab, and impale. Not to mention, there are a much larger number of fencing techniques for the sword than the mace.
For they would be your masters.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 10, 2010, 02:32:18 pm »

Read up on the German school of fencing. Deutsche Fechtschule, Johannes Liechtenauer. It's actually contemporary (1540's, anyway). It was used and was meant for the real world. That's the most clear and easy to understand source I can think of, for this purpose. There are sections on unarmoured combat, and sections on armoured combat. Both involve swords, and both are dissimilar.
And why are they dissimilar? Because the section on armored combat focuses on thrusts that try to penetrate weak spots in armor. I've found not a single page indicating a slash or thrust that aims right at a plated section of the armor.
99 barrels of beer!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 10, 2010, 03:00:47 pm »

Why would you intentionally aim for the strong spots?
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28