Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warhammers Fixed? New Weapon Raw.  (Read 507 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Warhammers Fixed? New Weapon Raw.
« on: April 08, 2010, 06:46:01 pm »

So I got to fiddling with the weapons raws and discovered warhammers have only a blunt attack. That's not right. Warhammers have a little awlpick on the back end for piercing armor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_hammer

I mean, its nearly impossible to find examples lacking that little feature!

So I added it. An edged attack with 10 surface area and 500 penetration, which in testing was just enough to bruise lungs or guts but never seemed to hit an artery ( did shatter a rib into the liver, though ). And what about the frequent armor deflections? That's not right. A weapon like this should bite steel and force through. Speed should affect that. And sure enough, with speed set to 3000 my hammer spike practically ignore plate on an inert opponent!

Balancing? I considered it. In tests between swordsdwarves and hammerdwarves, all adept in iron full plate, swordsdwarves managed less actual penetrating hits but far more damage when they did, which seems about right. Meanwhile the hammerdwarves frequently defeated the plate to inflict a variety of 'oozing' wounds with good pain and nausea effects, frequently getting the spike stuck into the affected area. Hands and feet were the first to go, and I was quite surprised by the frequency of improvised dental procedures! However artery-severing power killed three of my four hammerdwarves in the battle royale, while the lone survivor, missing his left arm, did the unthinkable. He managed to fend off the remaining four swordsdwarves, by now starting to bleed to death, crippled and vomiting everywhere, and slowly but surely finished them all off with a hammer to the brain.

In other tests, a leather-armored hammerdwarf versus a plate-armored speardwarf found himself sorely outclassed; the deeper and wider strikes by the spear quickly severed fingers, tore organs and left him dead in a fraction of the time hammerdwarves took to kill their foes. So while hammers are devestating against armor, other weapons do much better damage against leather and possibly chain, although that remains untested.

With a mind to get what I have to the community, and get their feedback for the improvement of my hammers (I want to see the blunt end used more than 1/20 strikes) I submit my work so far. For testing purposes, I have been operating under the name 'war pick', but that is merely a cosmetic detail.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In particular, I'm not sure if higher or lower speed values equal faster or slower. I presume big numbers = better numbers, however.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammers Fixed? New Weapon Raw.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 07:13:56 pm »

Well, a higher speed number being better would contradict the creature raws...
But your results seem to indicate bigger is better...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammers Fixed? New Weapon Raw.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 07:16:49 pm »

When I found how relatively nonlethal warhammers had become, I added a spike to them myself as well.  I believe I used either the dagger or the pick as a basis for it.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.