Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d: Probably a noob question about Worldgen, but still puzzling  (Read 600 times)

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry if I missed something completely obvious here, but I'm trying this game for the first time after watching several tutorials and reading a lot on the wiki (and playing through a test game until autumn).

I decided to try to find the "perfect site", which I'm sure many have, generating new worlds and searching for all the desired parameters over and over.  The problem I ran into when testing it was that even if I reduced my desired parameters to only flux stone:YES, after the search was done, the site it put me at had no flux stone, in any of the biomes.  If I manually searched around the map I found plenty of flux stone.  I can't believe that something like that after all the time that 40d's been out could still be a bug, but maybe it is, or more likely maybe I'm missing something here.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: 40d: Probably a noob question about Worldgen, but still puzzling
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 06:46:32 pm »

What were the stone layers?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 03:40:55 am »

were you using the built in site finder? that one was known to have difficulty finding a good matching site even if you gave exact parameters, especially if you gave exact parameters
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 06:19:44 am »

were you using the built in site finder? that one was known to have difficulty finding a good matching site even if you gave exact parameters, especially if you gave exact parameters

Yes I was hitting "f" for the built in site finder.  Good to know that it isn't always precise.

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 07:53:59 am »

I've never had a problem with the site finder telling me it found something and it did not.  Plenty of unfound parameters, but nothing false.

The only thing I can think to ask is:  "What do you think of as flux stone?"

The reason I ask is some people don't know/remember that marble is a flux stone, since it is gray text instead of the nice, easy to spot white of the other flux stones.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 07:56:11 am by haywire »

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 07:58:29 am »

How big was the world that you generated, and did you tweak some of its parameters?
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.