Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designing a material that needs magma heating  (Read 538 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designing a material that needs magma heating
« on: April 08, 2010, 05:48:58 pm »

I am trying to make a solid that ceases to exist below a certain temperature.  How exactly could this be done?

The material would have to be heated by magma (1-2 tiles away).  Do we know the temperature underground, and how much that changes within a few tiles of magma?

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Designing a material that needs magma heating
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 06:19:30 pm »

IIRC, materials have a temperature below which they take damage.
Set it sufficiently high, and it might destroy any instance of the material away from magma?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 06:23:54 pm »

As far as I am aware, materials cannot "freeze to death".  You can only establish higher ranges of temperature where it changes form and, eventually, dissipates.  You can of course make something that remains frozen until it's warmed by magma, whereupon it turns into either a liquid or a gas.  But otherwise?  Sorry, don't think it's possible.

But as for the actual temperatures, I have no idea.  There was a utility before that could show you the exact temperature of a particular tile, but I don't think it's been updated for .31 yet.

Upright Path

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 06:33:18 pm »

I wish that was a built in feature. I mean I ended up having a fortress starve/die of thirst before it was too cold INSIDE for me to even get snow to melt reliably.