Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: A military stopgap: the dwarven pig?  (Read 11370 times)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
Re: A military stopgap: the dwarven pig?
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2010, 06:25:02 pm »

Deep pig? As in Deep Crow?
Muhuhuhaha
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2010, 03:04:10 am »

Thanks for this.  Is it necessary to gen a new world if I add in this new creature?  Doing so anyway as I move up to the latest Mayday pack and version, so not an issue, but would be nice to know in the future.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2010, 03:07:40 am »

Thanks for this.  Is it necessary to gen a new world if I add in this new creature?  Doing so anyway as I move up to the latest Mayday pack and version, so not an issue, but would be nice to know in the future.

Yeah, you  can't add  new  creatures  in  the middle of a world. Have to  re-gen.

Enola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2010, 04:02:02 am »

For me in 31.02 and 31.03 I needed to change [trAINABLE] to [trAINABLE] to be able to train them in a kennel.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2010, 05:15:29 am »

Any excuse to put a Black Sabbath reference into Dwarf Fortress is a good excuse!

A few fun pig facts:

This could ofcourse be a domestic breed with it's own genetic makeup, but if you're basing these on actual wild boars, the males and females should both have tusks, with the males having larger, and more highly curved tusks.

The word "boar" refers to the male of the species, or as a general term, to all breeds of undomesticated wild pig, while the word "sow" refers to the female, in both wild and domestic species.

In addition, pigs in the wild--including feral domestic pigs--develope long, sharp barbs of stiff hair on their backs. That's where the term "razor-back" comes from.

Russian boars have been known to reach weights of 300kg, or over 660 lb. Pigs are also considered to be smarter than either dogs or cats, and have keener noses than dogs. 
For they would be your masters.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2010, 03:44:41 pm »

Huh all my shoats so far seem to be male, is the male-to-female ratio off a bit? or is it standard

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2010, 04:08:12 pm »

For me in 31.02 and 31.03 I needed to change [trAINABLE] to [trAINABLE] to be able to train them in a kennel.
Sorry what?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2010, 06:04:34 pm »

Sorry what?

I suspect he means he capitalized the T and the R.  For some reason, the forum automatically de-capitalizes those two letters.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2010, 06:05:37 pm »

Truly epic!  I mean epic!  I had to make my own contributions.

I made a few minor edits (mostly textual) to the Dwarf Pig (now called a "cave pig" "cpig" in the files)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And then I modified the data (using the blind cave bear as a reference for underground creatures) to make the DIRE PIG!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm new at creature modding, so I added 20 to the "Appearance Modifier" values and multiplied the BODY_SIZE values by 1.5x.  Hopefully this won't screw things up too much.

Edit:  A few quick tests showed that the Dire Pigs seem to be able to take on 3 Cave Pigs and have a pretty even battle.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:28:32 pm by Alkyon »
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2010, 09:18:31 am »

When I get home, I'll definitely be adding DEEEEEEP PIIIIIIG to my game. Then I can take the shells off of my cats and have them make webs instead. Cat silk socks and pig shell totems, here I come!

(also, I lol'd at "congealed maggot squeezings")
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]