Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make human civs a bit tougher  (Read 1031 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make human civs a bit tougher
« on: April 08, 2010, 12:35:04 pm »

In real life, humans are the most adaptable creatures on the planet; even in pre-modern times we have colonized deserts, tundras, rain forests and hills.  But in dwarf fortress, humans are wusses who have to have just exactly the right kind of low-land biome, and who cannot be bothered to explore beyond their comfortable little grassland/savana area [correct me if I am wrong].  So I have a few suggestions to address this, assuming it should be addressed.

1)  Make it possible for humans to settle in biomes besides lowlands.  Perhaps they could colonize along the edges of biomes such as forest or high hills.  Yes, I can probably get this by messing with the raws or something, but the whole point of suggestions thread is to suggest things for vanilla DF, right?

2)  Make humans more adventurous when the settle.  RIght now, it seems that humans can't cross over inhospitable biomes to build a new settlement.  They never seem to build roads across hills, mountains, deserts, wastelands, etc. 

3)  Make humans spread up and down rivers.  Right now I have seen humans build settlements right on top of a river when there are no lowland tiles available for them, but I don't think they can spread their civilization along the river.  Even though boats are not in the game, I think spreading along rivers could be modeled in worldgen.

As you might guess, I am interested in this because I like genning worlds with extreme characteristics (desert worlds, jungle worlds, etc.)  If for instance humans could build a road over just a few inhospitable biome tiles and colonize an area nearby, they would be more robust during the history phase of worldgen, and you could generate more extreme worlds in worldgen without worrying about humans going extinct.

If I am mistaken about how humans work in worldgen, let me know.  :)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make human civs a bit tougher
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 12:46:36 pm »

Aversion to savagery should probably be toned down as well. What does savagery even mean? That the area has bears? Heaven forbid. Historically speaking, bears were considered tasty, not something to be so terrified of that you leave entire swaths of forest unexploited.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 01:25:36 pm »

Aversion to savagery should probably be toned down as well. What does savagery even mean? That the area has bears? Heaven forbid. Historically speaking, bears were considered tasty, not something to be so terrified of that you leave entire swaths of forest unexploited.

I think a Savage location refers to places that are naturally dangerous.

It makes sense for humans to avoid it.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 01:35:58 pm »

Savagery imply areas where the wildlife constantly and actively trying to kill you.  Make sense as even if you're adaptable, it's hard to survive in areas where everything that moves (lion, tiger, bears, carps, more bears, zombies, eagles, spider) is trying hard to kill you.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 04:03:19 pm »

sady humans in df seak to live in lage groups in towns so grassland/savana are the best biome.

but it is all down to how civ get there food and as it is civ just pull food out of the air.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 01:39:55 pm »

Savagery imply areas where the wildlife constantly and actively trying to kill you.  Make sense as even if you're adaptable, it's hard to survive in areas where everything that moves (lion, tiger, bears, carps, more bears, zombies, eagles, spider) is trying hard to kill you.

None of those have stopped anyone in real life and the hostility of such fauna is vastly overestimated. Sure, tigers are assholes and like to attack you from behind but even that hasn't stopped our habitation efforts.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 10:49:13 pm »

Civilizations in savage areas, like deep in the most poisonous parts of jungles, tend to have slower population growth, and to expand very slowly.

The added difficulty of trade and communication holds back their technological development and often prevents them from forging and maintaining permanent alliances with neighboring villages.

Towns founded in highly savage areas should break off from the main civ and become independent entities that grow very slowly and don't send out expeditions.

It's a standard fantasy trope: Deep in the most dangerous parts of the blackest swamps, there live tribes that the rest of the world has neglected, because they are too dangerous to reach, and in time they have come to see all outsiders as enemies.

This would allow humanity to spread to new biomes, without any danger of the human empires getting ridiculously large.

The less savage off-biome lands could allow full civ sites to be built, but the lack of farmland should both slow and limit the size the site can reach, and expeditions should prefer sites on their favored biome.

Also, even without boats, explorers tend to stick close to rivers, as they provide a reliable source of water, when you don't know where else to find any, becasue the area is unexplored.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.