Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New migrant system  (Read 1797 times)

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
New migrant system
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:35:43 am »

I have to say, I'm very satisfied with the way migrants are now handled. They're more spread out in the early stages of the fort (so you don't get growing pains). It makes it much easier to dole out responsibility in the critical stage of building.

Maybe I'm dreaming, but it also seems like I'm more likely to get a job I'm currently overusing, like a Miner or Architect rather than the usual rabble of ten Soap Makers.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Re: New migrant system
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:38:24 am »

I've noticed more of that as well
they also come in with higher skill levels
in a different thread someone mentioned the possibility of the migrant dorfs being plucked from nearby mountain homes instead of generated on the spot
I think it's a delightful idea
EDIT: here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html , where he presents the army arc, he mentions
I: Getting migrants/armies to move over the world map again
so I'm betting that's the case
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:41:26 am by ISGC »
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:45:55 am »

Still easily possible to get masses of migrants. I just got a 15 dwarf wave or something which doubled my population and I'm practically on the other side of the map from the mountainhome.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 10:59:28 am »

I like the new system as well.

First of, the arrival of first wave makes things a lot easier. Now it's viable plan to embark with only 6 miners and one woodcutter/farmer and some food and booze, and still survive easily.

Secondly, so far I have noticed that the first wave is small, 5-8 dwarves. Usually the second wave is bigger, 15-23 dwarves, unless you have not had hardly any production by then. Happened only once, though. Third wave, which usually arrives somewhere during winter, is again smallish one. After that, I have experienced long pauses before next wave, even when I have made lots of trading with the dwarven caravan and have boosted my wealth greatly.

Thirdly, the skill system of immigrants is better. Now the immigrants are more prone to have useful skills even in high levels. If some dwarf doesn't directly have useful skill, mostly because some of the earlier dwarves have taken the position of that job and more is not needed, the new dwarf can replace the old one as the old one usually may have other useful skills. So nearly all my dwarves are useful now, and not only in hauling. A lot less idlers this way, a lot more work gets done.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 11:06:00 am »

How are they getting to my island fortress? I don' want them to! D:

THERE'S NO ESCAPE FROM THE HORDE!
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:10:18 am »

I would kinda like the migrants level to be capped based on fortress wealth, so getting high master migrants didn't happen often until later on. Otherwise I think the new migrant system is pretty spiffy. I tend to get two or three at a time, far easier to adapt to.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 12:34:57 pm »

I still think it would be cool to disable migrants or caravans from the init file.

Maybe I'm dreaming, but it also seems like I'm more likely to get a job I'm currently overusing, like a Miner or Architect rather than the usual rabble of ten Soap Makers.
That'd make for a neat challenge in 40d; start with whatever 7 jobs you want, and new labor is only handled by migrants. So like, you forgot to bring a mechanic? Pretty hope you get a migrant one.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Copper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 02:35:28 pm »

I'm not sure how I feel about the new system -on the one hand makes embarks easier, you can just go with skills that are useful right away instead of feeling like you have to bring a weaponsmith or something, because you didn't want to train some guy from scratch.

On the other, if you did want to bring a weaponsmith or something, he will be outclassed by some random high master blowgunner who happens to be an expert brewer, armorsmith and milker.

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THAT GUY? :/

-

I accidentally left a game unpaused right after embark while I was away - when I got back it was summer, five of the original seven and all of the animals were dead, everything within 100 paces of the wagon soaked in their blood....

and some migrants had just arrived.

So apparently the first wave is nigh-guaranteed (It happened a couple of other times too, minus the bloodbath), in fact I've yet to not get migrants the first three seasons.

Also I'm still getting tons of soap makers and animal dissectors they are just high masters in their useless trades. I got one guy that was [some high level] in observer, his only skill.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 02:40:57 pm »

Half the time I get some guy who's a butcher or something in the first couple waves, you know, one of those skills that's useful to have early but just not right away and this guy saved me from having to manually turn butchering on for someone. So I flag a bunch of dogs for slaughter and go about my business. About 20 minutes later I realize nothing has been butchered, so I go and check the guy. He's labeled as a butcher, but is only Novice and doesn't even have the activity enabled in his labor preferences.

He's not the only one. I've noticed it at least five or six times now where I've gotten migrants who are masons but have no stoneworking jobs enabled or whatever.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 03:17:46 pm »

They frequently don't have jobs enabled, or only have their best job enabled. This lets you zip on over to the migrant entry point and check them for skills and assign new tasks appropriately. I like it, honestly. I got a high master carpenter in my first wave and then went and rebuilt all my beds!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 03:33:05 pm »

I still think it would be cool to disable migrants or caravans from the init file.

That'd make for a neat challenge in 40d; start with whatever 7 jobs you want, and new labor is only handled by migrants. So like, you forgot to bring a mechanic? Pretty hope you get a migrant one.

What would you do for military? Same idea?

Back on topic, however, I do also like the migrant system. Makes it a lot easier on you when you don't have 5/10 migrants being peasants, 3 being soap/cheese makers, and 2 being useful. Now, you're near guaranteed for the majority to be useful. And the rest could be drafted or haulers if you wish. Unfortunately, I find the odds of getting any medical class to be rather slim. It's a good thing that any skilled+ axedorf can truly slaughter anything it comes across without taking a hit.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 04:13:48 pm »

Yeah, I've found Medical to be swingy. I've gotten very, very few medicals ever, but one wave I got a surgeon, bone doctor, and suture...er...dwarf, on top of my starting doctor.

They left my best axedwarf to die of thirst with two broken legs twenty steps from the well furnished hospital...

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 05:00:02 pm »

Yeah, I've found Medical to be swingy. I've gotten very, very few medicals ever, but one wave I got a surgeon, bone doctor, and suture...er...dwarf, on top of my starting doctor.

They left my best axedwarf to die of thirst with two broken legs twenty steps from the well furnished hospital...

On both fortresses I've done so far, I've gotten a Suturer, a Bone Doctor, and a Diagnostician in the first four waves.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 05:06:45 pm »

On both fortresses I've done so far, I've gotten a Suturer, a Bone Doctor, and a Diagnostician in the first four waves.

I had 2 comedian bonedoctors in the same wave!

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 06:17:54 pm »

They frequently don't have jobs enabled, or only have their best job enabled. This lets you zip on over to the migrant entry point and check them for skills and assign new tasks appropriately.

It's a problem, actually. It creates needless micromanagement. Migrants should enter the map with jobs enabled according to their skills, provided they are sufficiently developed. Say, adequate or competent and above.

I don't know whether to report this as a bug or something else. I don't think a proficient surgeon is intended to not perform surgery by default because his gem-cutting skill is one or two levels higher (therefore determining his main profession).

EDIT: Looking at the bug tracker, it seems Toady has already taken care of this. :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:22:29 pm by Greenbane »
Pages: [1] 2