Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New migrant system  (Read 1794 times)

Zirallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New migrant system
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 12:14:08 am »

I'm not liking the new migrant system much. I'm a little jealous of those of you who claim to only have a few migrants in the first wave. I've started 3 fortresses so far and each one of them has had 15+ migrants in the FIRST wave. One of them had 30. THis is insane. Especially when you keep getting that many every single season until you hit your population cap. I've come to dread the caravans because shortly after I know I'm going to get a huge explosion of dwarves.. Most of them with useless skills (do I really need 6 fish dissectors in one wave on a map with no fish?) And even the ones who ARE useful, like those armor smiths, are found in abundance and it quickly leads to a huge population of 'potentially useful' haulers.

For my latest fortress I have the population cap set at 75. I hit it (and went over) in the first year. It's just too many damn dwarves.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 02:04:20 am »

Are you embarking on mountain sites, supposedly (Unless it got fixed in 31.2) your wealth takes into account any cavern systems.

(not sure if they're exposed or not when it happens, I have a hard time with clerks since they work till they're thirsty, hungry, drowsy and not in a good mood)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 02:45:09 am »

Yeah, I've found Medical to be swingy. I've gotten very, very few medicals ever, but one wave I got a surgeon, bone doctor, and suture...er...dwarf, on top of my starting doctor.

They left my best axedwarf to die of thirst with two broken legs twenty steps from the well furnished hospital...

On both fortresses I've done so far, I've gotten a Suturer, a Bone Doctor, and a Diagnostician in the first four waves.

I had 2 comedian bonedoctors in the same wave!

"Well Urist, did you enjoy your trip?"
*Urist glares at doctors*
*in unison* "OH NOES, HE BROKEDED HIS FUNNY BONES" *waves arms in air*
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Zirallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 04:33:39 am »

I don't tend to embark on mountains. For the latest fortress, the map was completely flat save for 1 tile that was a z-level higher. Still hit my pop cap within the first year.
Pages: 1 [2]