Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves can't use hospital buckets?  (Read 1621 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Dwarves can't use hospital buckets?
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:26:00 am »

I've been working on a fort near the caverns(I usually build them near the surface) and thought I walled off a portion of muddy ground for my farms. Turned out I missed an up ramp that allowed swarms of troglodytes and giant olms to assault my dwarves. I killed them off and removed the ramp, but not before several dwarves sustained injuries. One died of infection, one lost his hand but is going about business as normal, and a third is lying in the hospital. Dehydrated. The hospital storage has two buckets in it, but my dwarves refuse to use them; I kept getting "Dwarf cancels give water; needs empty bucket". I also used up the last of my wood to make the hospital beds, so I'm trying to get my magma industry working for metal ones; in the meanwhile, my dwarf is turning into a shriveled husk.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves can't use hospital buckets?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:07:49 pm »

have you tried reducing the hospital bucket limit? perhaps the buckets have become stuck in a full-state and need to be toggled.
I usually designate a 2 tile pile of furniture(bucket only) inside my hospital area, this seems to work for me.

Recently I found that the stuff I had lying around was not accessable to workshops, only when it was taken to a pile did the material become available.
So check whether your buckets are marked for a TaSK, like hauling. It seems that with haulage jobs in particular these are stacked far in advance, making the items involved inaccessable for any other in the meantime.

forbidding and unforbidding the item removes the TSK tag.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 02:33:44 pm »

have you tried reducing the hospital bucket limit? perhaps the buckets have become stuck in a full-state and need to be toggled.
I usually designate a 2 tile pile of furniture(bucket only) inside my hospital area, this seems to work for me.

Recently I found that the stuff I had lying around was not accessable to workshops, only when it was taken to a pile did the material become available.
So check whether your buckets are marked for a TaSK, like hauling. It seems that with haulage jobs in particular these are stacked far in advance, making the items involved inaccessable for any other in the meantime.

forbidding and unforbidding the item removes the TSK tag.

Apparently my buckets are located inside a stone coffer I placed in the hospital. Oddly enough, I can't check the coffer's contents. I wonder if that is related somehow...
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

HorvathSaigyou

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 04:26:49 pm »

Try removing the coffer. Couldn't hurt, right?

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:56:36 pm »

Make more buckets if the ones you have don't work.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.