Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting my Military Started  (Read 427 times)

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting my Military Started
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:22:45 am »

Alright, alright, someone explain this to me like I'm a three-years old baby in diaper school.  How do I get my squad to activate?  I thought everything was cool because they killed a raccoon (after chasing it through the entire fortress five or six times) but they don't seem to want to be military dwarves based on changing the alerts or their schedules (what the heck is the "minimum dwarves" number, anyway?).  I read the various Wiki entries, which didn't help.  I just want my squad to, you know, be called Axedwarf and Recruit and all that jazz--without explicitly ordering them to kill some small woodland creature.  I'm sure once I've got them doing that, I can figure the rest out.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Re: Getting my Military Started
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:35:58 am »

Minimum units is how many should be training at any given time. If you leave this at 10 but have fewer than 10 in the squad then once they start training they won't stop for food or water and will kill themselves.

To have them called "axedwarf" they have to be on duty. Now, something I've found odd is that even if you go through and set up the whole scheduling thing and set the squad to be on that training schedule they won't actually start the schedule until the next time the month changes unless you go through the (s)quad menu, select the squad (a), and manually toggle their current schedule to Active/Training.