Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.02 Released  (Read 99620 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.02 Released
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2010, 03:43:33 pm »

Also remember that right now I believe he stated he's got a lot of non-programming related tasks to do, so I wouldn't be surprised if things pick up in a week.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2010, 06:24:15 pm »

I just looked at the changelog on the bug tracker, and in the last day or so he's fixed FIVE, count'em FIVE crash bugs for 0.31.03,  So I'd say he's making good progress even as we post. :)

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/changelog_page.php

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2010, 10:22:37 pm »

I just looked at the changelog on the bug tracker, and in the last day or so he's fixed FIVE, count'em FIVE crash bugs for 0.31.03,  So I'd say he's making good progress even as we post. :)

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/changelog_page.php

Not to be a contrarian, but the five you are talking about are all pretty much the same thing.

Personally, I really can't wait to the more urgent (at least in my mind) bugs that make the gameplay drastically different (ie farming plot bug, rotting remains bug, noble screen bug etc).

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2010, 10:52:48 am »

Up to 11 crash bugs fixed now (at least four separate issues) for next version.

You the man now, Toad!

Daman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2010, 11:24:57 am »

Yeah, it'd be nice if seemingly simple game-breaking issues were fixed such as rotting.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2010, 11:28:45 am »

Four military crash bugs fixed seem like major fixes to me.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2010, 11:37:53 am »

Yeah, it'd be nice if seemingly simple game-breaking issues were fixed such as rotting.

It may seem simple, but codewise, it might not be so simple.

I agree with what you're saying, but Toady can only work on so much at once and it looks like he is trying to take care of the crash bugs. We are only seeing which ones he has currently fixed, not what he is working on.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2010, 11:40:45 am »

Its an issue of severity. Yeah, it'd be nice if the "Dwarves don't respect room assignments" bug was fixed next, because that's what bothers me most, but I can hardly blame Toady for fixing the crash bugs that prevent people from playing at all.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2010, 11:46:24 am »

Well the pathfinding issue is likely causing alot of other problems that might not seem pathfinding related. Since the pathfinding issue alone is a huge one, we'll have to see if anything else gets resolved along with that.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2010, 12:15:30 pm »

It is Toady's choice of priorities, which will differ from many players' priorities. From a programming perspective, it's the correct order to handle debugging: deal with the show-stoppers first, then work on the show-ruiners. From the player's perspective, some crash bugs can be avoided with foreknowledge (e.g. "don't do this or that in the military screen") so the bigger concerns are the unavoidable and game-changing bugs.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2010, 12:53:06 pm »

bugs that make the gameplay drastically different (ie farming plot bug, rotting remains bug, noble screen bug etc).
You see, everyone has his own priorities. I, for one, do not care about rotting or farms - that is manageable in-game, rotting remains can be quantumed or atom-smashed, farms work with irrigation which is easy.
Never-completing surgeries and military stuck in 'No job' are far more problematic, because there is no workaround for that.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2010, 12:56:59 pm »

Never-completing surgeries and military stuck in 'No job' are far more problematic, because there is no workaround for that.

The suturing/bandaging/surgery issue may have a workaround:

Quote from: Footkerchief
according to Toybasher (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1049#c3072), causing a cave-in next to the patient's bed will reset the diagnosis process so that they stop trying to treat healed wounds.  Haven't tested that myself though.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2010, 01:05:30 pm »

according to Toybasher (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1049#c3072), causing a cave-in next to the patient's bed will reset the diagnosis process so that they stop trying to treat healed wounds.  Haven't tested that myself though.
That would work only with 'healed' wounds, which is not my case (red wounds/gray wounds).

Anyway, i was just saying that opinions about severity/priority differ across the players and depend on playstyle/experience. Would be nice to have some kind of 'severity/priority guideline' for tracker, since atm it seem to be randomish.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2010, 01:16:13 pm »

Yea the priority thing is all over the place, although the ones marked as high priority generally are genuinely high priority. The severity rating is somewhat more reliable, but could use a somewhat more expanded differentation between minor and major.

I agree though, a general guideline could be useful, but even then....

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2010, 01:27:55 pm »

Toady dear, all I wait as pixelart artist from new version - is allow graphical tiles to be used for all game objects..(Core50 as I know?).. Why? We need this opportunity to begin our (pixelartists) development and work as earlier as possible to start draw a brand new wonderful world of Dwarf Fortress! We develop as many graphics as you let, and as beautiful as you like.
If you complete full tile-support sooner, then we get the time for deep elaboration of all game object-graphics and tiles.
There can't be beautiful tiles at once and immediately.., so you must give us a time (and enable tiles support sooner if possible) to draw truly wonderful things in process of time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I promise, we have an inspiration and will do for your game as much, so you'll be impressed and amazed. You'll see.. Just give us possibility of full tileset support, before next long-time period (:o oh no..) between versions will begun..

Toady, please answer. I know - you are so tired and do a lot of work already but give us a chance to be heared. Sorry for my bad english - I believe that you are understand my hopefulness..

"Full graphics support" is #6 on Eternal Suggestion Voting, and Toady is planning to work on the top 10 ESV items after the bug fixes.  That means there's a good chance it'll get worked on soon.

Also, Toady is hoping to avoid long release cycles in the future.

Also, did you scan that image out of a magazine or something?  The assets look all smeared and the colors are awful.

Also, if "DFa4_anon" means "DF shared account for anonymous users," yeah... don't do that.
Nah, that's the RTP(run time graphics, AKA the inbuild set) of RPGmaker XP!

Which has an ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL map editor. It's SO easy, you can build your own map in 10 minutes!

This man has worked so hard to bring you this totally accurate impression of how DF could look, in fact, if you look closely, you see that they even edited the standard graphics SUBTELY to create MORE VARIATION! I mean, this just RIVALS Toady's work in DF and completely overthrows any other indie/amateur game development ever!

---

I'm sorry if that was a bit too mean, but I'm so sick of seeing indie developers just yank graphics from RPGmaker or Snes era games, with the closest this they can do to being original is recolouring it. But then again, I even get antsy seeing a stone from the mack and blue set(very popular free RPGmaker-tilesets) in the current tilesets, so I might be a bit oversensitive.

Seriously, if you have time to beg for graphics support, you can better spend that on making them. There's 50+ types of items that need to have 20+ types of materials applied to them. Next to that there's smoothed floors, constructed floors, living rock, smoothed living rock, and engraved things+ their orientations and connections to each other. And before anyone even dares to mention the word 'pallet-swap' may I remind you that there's a subtle difference between a wooden table, a stone table, a metal table, and a glass table?

/Is very passionate when it comes to pixelart!
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11