Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.02 Released  (Read 99641 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.02 Released
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2010, 09:15:53 pm »

EDIT (?): the solution I described might not actually work. My previous optimism is likely unfounded.

I looked over the thread you posted, and found that like many of the other examples my save file was missing A LOT of its feature files. I loaded them from a backup copy, so hopefully it will work now. Hopefully.

thanks, foot. Helpful as always!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2010, 09:22:32 pm »

I just noticed my butcher attempting to butcher a part of a Titan in his shop.

The titan in question was a giant sea turtle, which got chopped up by my axe squads.
The part in question is the left antenna.

Is this expected behaviour?

On a side note, that antenna is large enough to give the butcher shop a red 'CLT' tag.

Unrelated, and maybe I will post it in the relevant thread, but severs are annoyingly common now. Some research could show that severs caused in combat were highly unlikely in the real world, more so when people used to be armored. In adventure mode, sometimes I feel like I'm playing King Arthur against the Black Knight.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2010, 09:45:18 pm »

Hi!

Gorm: Thanks for being our guinea pig :) :) :)

Given how risky it was in my opinion, I didn't want to suggest overwriting the raws in the save. I figured if you can handle whatever might go wrong, you probably can also figure out that overwriting the raws there might be the solution.

Well, here's hoping that your fortress will fare well.

Deathworks

Iggbyoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2010, 09:46:24 pm »

The titan in question was a giant sea turtle, which got chopped up by my axe squads.

On a side note, that antenna is large enough to give the butcher shop a red 'CLT' tag.

Unrelated, and maybe I will post it in the relevant thread, but severs are annoyingly common now. Some research could show that severs caused in combat were highly unlikely in the real world, more so when people used to be armored. In adventure mode, sometimes I feel like I'm playing King Arthur against the Black Knight.

"It's just a flesh wound!"

(Someone had to say it  :D)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2010, 10:11:48 pm »

Hmm... I really should report a crash bug I've got, but the site is screwy and keeps frequently only half-loading pages, and the bug tracker won't let me sign up (it says "Bad Response From Server.)  Is anybody else getting this?  I've heard no complaints about it, but this is the only site I've been getting this behavior from, and it started just after the release.

Yes, I am.  I was able to get into the bug tracker by using my slow and unreliable dial-up connection which has lower latency than my satellite broadband.

Edit:  The bug fix is very nice, btw.  It warms my heart to see my Dwarves cooking up the lovely warthog innards that I bought for them on embark but they had never seemed to notice existed.  I did transfer my save from 01 over and copied in the new raws.  Also, I had to dial up to edit this post, case in point.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:37:52 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

cdawg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2010, 10:39:59 pm »

so.... when are my dwarves going to stop dehydrating themselves and wandering around with blinking blue arrows all the time?  it really freaks me out :(

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2010, 10:41:40 pm »

Hmm... I really should report a crash bug I've got, but the site is screwy and keeps frequently only half-loading pages, and the bug tracker won't let me sign up (it says "Bad Response From Server.)  Is anybody else getting this?  I've heard no complaints about it, but this is the only site I've been getting this behavior from, and it started just after the release.

Yes, I am.  I was able to get into the bug tracker by using my slow and unreliable dial-up connection which has lower latency than my satellite broadband.

Baughn made have... I don't know, reduced the connection timeout period or something, in an effort to reduce memory usage on the server.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2010, 10:51:49 pm »

so.... when are my dwarves going to stop dehydrating themselves and wandering around with blinking blue arrows all the time?  it really freaks me out :(
They don't dehydrate. They get thirsty. Its a lot better than them running off in the middle of what they are doing constantly.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2010, 11:14:33 pm »

Agreed. I think some adjusts may be made (tying these more strongly to the dwarves' personality and avoiding some extremes) but it is a lot better than canceling jobs to take a drink.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2010, 12:01:50 am »

Firstly, Dai-rasa, butchering the antenna of a titan so big that it instantly clogs the butcher shop is simply pure awesome!

Secondly, thvaz, part of the problem of balance out weapons and how they behave is they need to be at least functional against a range of opponents from the size of a fox or large squirrel to that of a dragon, bronze colossus, or titan.  DF is kind of a "soft fantasy" setting, anyway so a little gratuitous gore is appropriate.  This is a first iteration and there is already a community made combat balance mod in progress, anyway.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2010, 12:35:23 am »

They don't dehydrate. They get thirsty. Its a lot better than them running off in the middle of what they are doing constantly.

Neither has to happen.

In the old version, dwarves would drink long before they got thirsty enough to get an unhappy thought, even in the middle of something.

In the current version, dwarves not only continue to work long AFTER they get an unhappy thought, but they'll even start new jobs while "thirsty" or "drowsy".

Basically, "thirsty" is not the point when a dwarf decides he needs a drink; it comes a while after. There's some wiggle room in the middle, so it doesn't need to be at the current extreme.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2010, 01:15:14 am »

I bow unto the glory that is Dwarf Fortress. Remember the (minimum of) 30 minutes of healthy activity away from the PC every day though! Composers go deaf, painters go blind, who knows what happens to programmers. Maybe their fingers drop off, that would be sufficiently inconvenient. 

( I really wanted to say thanks for the speedy update though. Then got worried because of the speed. :) )

---

Razzacc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2010, 02:40:48 am »

Will there be a Mac version for this as well?

Dai-rasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2010, 04:06:47 am »

Firstly, Dai-rasa, butchering the antenna of a titan so big that it instantly clogs the butcher shop is simply pure awesome!
[/quote]

The butcher got tired/hungry/thirsty so gave up on the job. Haven't seen if he gave it another go at it.
I got a save backup just in case. And the color was pink, not red, for the CLT tag.

Bersken

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2010, 04:34:57 am »

Giant sea turtles have antennae?!

Will there be a Mac version for this as well?

From the devlog:
... Then I'll start in on crashes and the merge with the OSX/Linux/SDL/improved-OpenGL port.

That said, 31.01 seems to run as well as can be expected under Linux with WINE (so, presumably 31.02 should too). Don't have a Mac, so I can't be certain, but if you are impatient as I, you should be able to try it out under Mac WINE or some other Windows compatibility layer/emulator for Mac. (Though I'm leaving the crash reports to native Windows users, 'specially since WINE is so apologetic when a program crashes.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11