Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I stop worrying?  (Read 923 times)

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I stop worrying?
« on: April 08, 2010, 03:28:53 am »

Today I had a very happy moment. A friend came over to catch up after Facebook discussion that I haven't seen for a few years and have known since elementry school. We caught up and hugged.

Now, thanks to my OCD, when she left, I felt sick from nerves and I didn't know why.

Thinking now, it's because I know I'll lose contact with her one day. I never want that to happen.

Right now I'm wondering why I should even exist. I'm only alive because modern science saved me from natural selection. Meh, I'm a psycho. A control freak. Insecure.

Goddamnit, I'm having tears now. I'm going to die someday and eventually I'll lose everything. There's no point in anything.

Fucking worrying has ruined my day, I was happy. This should be a happy day, but instead I'm crying because I can't come to terms with the way the universe works.

How can I stop this? Is there any medication? Any methods?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I stop worrying?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:35:00 am »

Nothing saves you from natural selection, it isn't possible for that to be the case. Our environment has changed so medically fixable problems are no longer the downside they would have been that is all.

As to your worry I wouldn't opt for medication, take a long walk in the fresh air and let the endorphins it produces calm you down and relax you. Then consider what you should do once your in a better frame of mind.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 03:40:42 am »

Eh, a good cry fixed me up. I just hate how I turned a nice day in to a horrible experience.

Edit:
Nevermind, more sadness coming because of how insecure I am about my looks.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:45:41 am by Jookia »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 03:48:35 am »

insecure I am about my looks.

Who isn't :)
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:16:26 am »

I'm depressed about how I'm going to die one day.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 04:24:56 am »

Everyone dies. Everyone suffers at some point in their lives.

Knowing that shouldn't stop you from enjoying life. If anything, it should make the time you have even more amazing, beautiful, and precious.

Go do something good. Volunteer at a homeless shelter or hospital. Even if it's just a few hours a week. I guarantee it'll change your perspective about what's important in life.

None of us can give you any easy answers, so I wish you luck.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 04:26:55 am »

I'm depressed about how I'm going to die one day.

Don't, may never happen (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4003063.stm)

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 04:48:13 am »

That's a really interesting article.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 03:53:56 pm »

I yet have to encounter a person (correction, mentally healthy person) who is completely secure and confident in themselves. It's natural to feel insecure about one's looks and/or abilities. I know it myself, often had I doubted my skills yet I now study at one of the oldest medical faculties in world. Just relieve your stress the best way you can, and fuck death. Carpe diem my friend.
Don't, may never happen (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4003063.stm)
I had heard of this before yet it seems pretty impossible to me as normal lifespan of human being nowadays is cca 70-80 years (much improved from those 20-30 we started off with) and biological expectancy of human body (i.e. how long can human body possibly work in ideal conditions) is around 200 years.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 05:10:39 pm »

I had heard of this before yet it seems pretty impossible to me as normal lifespan of human being nowadays is cca 70-80 years (much improved from those 20-30 we started off with) and biological expectancy of human body (i.e. how long can human body possibly work in ideal conditions) is around 200 years.

The theory is that we come up with technologies, chiefly nanotechnology, that is capable of safely repairing our body.  If we do that then biological immorality is essentially guaranteed, of course it wouldn't protect from physical trauma.  The only thing that will stop us from accomplishing this is if our bodies aren't compatible with such machines, or if legislation is passed against it.

Think about it this way, assuming evolution from a single cell is what occurred.  Undesigned, unintentional evolution, through mutations, created organisms that are able to grow, differentiate and repair themselves for decades (some for hundreds of years).  Look at how complex we are, how our wounds heal, how we grow from little fetuses into grown adults simply through eating foods, drinking liquids and breathing air.  Now consider that we have the gift of intention, intellect, etc, so as we understand biology and technology more, we can do better than what happened only through chance in nature.  Nature never made a car, we did.  So is there any reason to believe we can't create something better than nature did?  As in, find technology that is capable of repairing and refreshing human cells.

Keep in mind, that even if this all comes true, the average person, in our current environment, would only live for a few thousand years.  Deaths from accidents, murders, etc, would put our lifespan far below anything that approaches immortality.  There would have to be big cultural changes or a huge amount of luck to overcome that.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 02:38:35 am »

I heard the guy talk about it once and he reasons that there is a high likely hood that within 30 years we will be able to extend our lives by at least 30 years. As technology tends to improve at an accelerating rate that extension will be enough for an equivalent improvement to be developed.

The bit in bold just simply isn't true. The body renews itself continually and the quote you get the figure for is talking about the the degradation rate without external contaminants in lab conditions. Under these conditions mutations from radiation and the tiny, but noticeable, effect of gravity mean the body will stop functioning after 200 years (give or take).

However if your taking about correcting these flaws back to some baseline then there is no reason this cannot be repeated forever. Will be interesting to see how that works with memory mind you.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 02:45:57 am »

Don't worry about it so much,live your life.sounds like talking to your lady friend cheered you up,talk to her some more.you may not be confident,but act the part and you'll surprise yourself.

Death happens.If you can prevent it,do so,but if not,do what you can while you still have time to.