Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combined workshops?  (Read 785 times)

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combined workshops?
« on: July 29, 2007, 07:32:00 am »

I would like the next version to have a designation that says "Combine workshops" and like for example you place a Mason's near a Jeweler's and you designate "Combine workshops" around those two then a new workshop will appear reading "Mason's/Jeweler's workshop" and you would that it does all the things a Jeweler's shop and a Mason's shop could do.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Combined workshops?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 07:35:00 am »

How would that be better?
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 07:41:00 am »

So maybe production times would be shorter like a dwarf finishes a door and goes to the Jeweller's shop to have it decorated so that may take a while but if you combined the workshops then he/she can do it immediately.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 08:30:00 am »

And you'd have only 1 dwarf in there at a time?
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Axehilt_VuP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 09:22:00 am »

It wouldn't work well as a designation; it'd have to just be outright selecting both workshops you want combined - and then choosing the location of the combined workshop.

Not sure it's a good idea.

Personally I do agree with the general sentiment that there's too many workshop types.  A large raw number of workshop types doesn't really add to gameplay, but adds a fair amount to complexity (and good game design tends to be about optimizing how much fun gameplay you can squeeze out of a game without increasing its complexity.  A good designer can create deep gameplay without extraneous amounts of complexity.)

The only approach I've thought of that seems viable is upgradeable workshops:
1. There is no mechanics workshop.
2. Your Mason's Workshop can be upgraded, and at level 2 it has all of the mechanic tasks available.

I'm not convinced this method would improve things enough to be worth doing, but I certainly feel something could/should be done to improve the "unnecessary complexity" stuff in the game which builds up.  Perhaps all the game needs is better in-game help and things will seem less complex by default.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 12:40:00 pm »

Well, I guess a workshop like that could be given a new option of automatically decorating a freshly made item.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 01:01:00 pm »

Slightly offtopic, when can we make mechanisms from other materials?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>Slightly offtopic, when can we make mechanisms from other materials?</STRONG>

You have an entire MOUNTAIN full of stone, and the mechanisms don't even SHOW. What do you want different materials for?

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 03:24:00 pm »

Different materials in mechanisms would help for identification purposes. A lot of people complain that they forget which lever is linked to which. One way to help yourself out is to make levers and their linkages all of the same type of mechanisms. This is possible now, of course, but you can't tell your dwarves specifically to make 3 flint mechanisms. But brass mechanisms... that would be quick and easy.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 05:07:00 pm »

I think the Expandable Workshops idea encompasses this too. It's somewhere down the topic list, I think.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 11:13:00 pm »

I think that the expandable workshops thread focuses on increasing the size and scope of a particular workshop.

Bien's idea has to do with situating two workshops next to each other and merging them into one.
The bonus to this would be increased workshop space. The problems with this are that only one dwarf can use the workshop (which is now twice the size of a regular workshop, and the workshop doesn't actually do anything that the previous two didn't.

I can understand consolidation can be useful, such as in tanneries and leatherworks (both deal with animal skins), and mechanists and masons (both deal with crafting stone), but I can't see anything that Bien's idea has going for it that the expandable workshops idea doesn't.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 07:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Shzar:
<STRONG>Different materials in mechanisms would help for identification purposes. A lot of people complain that they forget which lever is linked to which. One way to help yourself out is to make levers and their linkages all of the same type of mechanisms. This is possible now, of course, but you can't tell your dwarves specifically to make 3 flint mechanisms. But brass mechanisms... that would be quick and easy.</STRONG>

Well I have a code, Granite for farming floodgates, slate for traps and etc.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 06:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mayday:
<STRONG> do anything that the previous two didn't.</STRONG>

I forgot to mention that.