Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I just hit my first underground cavern  (Read 1733 times)

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I just hit my first underground cavern
« on: April 07, 2010, 08:52:03 pm »

First impression: Damn, this is obstructing my stairway!

Second impression: OHHHHHHHH MYYYY GODDDD THIS IS AMAZING
puppywhirrrrrrl

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: So I just hit my first underground cavern
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:53:11 pm »

yeah I hate how I kind of had to fung-shway my staircase design to incorporate the cavern.

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:56:19 pm »

Yeah, it's inconvenient from a building standpoint but incredibly awesome from every other standpoint.

HOLY SHIT AS I WAS TYPING THIS I FOUND ANOTHER ONE

Spans DOZENS of z-levels at least and has the magma I was looking for!

LIFE IS GOODDDDDDDDDDD
puppywhirrrrrrl

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 08:56:40 pm »

Hahah, exact same situation here. I managed to actually break up my staircase so it stops at a sort of "security check and control room" centered inside a large cave stalagmite/stalactite/pillar, which branches out via staircases and walkways to the rest of my fort.

If it wasn't for the bugs I would still be playing. I just can't wait till the game is as stable as the last 2009 version.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 09:00:12 pm »

Hahah, exact same situation here. I managed to actually break up my staircase so it stops at a sort of "security check and control room" centered inside a large cave stalagmite/stalactite/pillar, which branches out via staircases and walkways to the rest of my fort.

If it wasn't for the bugs I would still be playing. I just can't wait till the game is as stable as the last 2009 version.

So far the bugs have been kind to me. I was gonna stop at first when it was lagging so bad, but the DF Accelerator brought it up to speed. I'm just gonna keep chugging through with it, as I really do want to get adjusted to the new system.
puppywhirrrrrrl

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 09:01:27 pm »

There are bugs..?

I've only found a few, none of them game-breaking.

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 09:05:03 pm »

There are bugs..?

I've only found a few, none of them game-breaking.

Yeah, mostly involving noble-assignment and pathfinding.

I get periodic crashes when I try to leave or create things in arena mode (not often, but sometimes), though, which is pretty debilitating.
puppywhirrrrrrl

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 09:05:15 pm »

Many unfortunate bugs, my military screen crashes often and I had to restart from the beginning of summer when I was near the end because of a very often occurring Runtime Error.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 09:05:45 pm »

Most of the bugs that could potentially reallllly stop the show are combat related, and then it's only really game breaking when it involves truly massive creatures versus not so massive creatures. Oh, and the Undead. Don't screw around with the undead
!!&!!

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 09:10:12 pm »

I have always believed my fear of zombies was well-placed.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 09:59:08 pm »

I don't know what people find so great about them.  I see them as hateful digging disruptors filled with angry, angry, civilizations of antmen eying me with blowguns that I loved avoiding in previous versions by searching for underground rivers and no pools/aquifers.

And also, I like my forts to be at least somewhat neat.  So much digging to do unless I wanted to start my fort in one, which I have considered doing seeing as how kobold thieves are equally hateful, hateful dwarven society disruptors.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 10:06:27 pm »

Generate a world with no underground. It's all in the parameters.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 10:17:01 pm »

And also, I like my forts to be at least somewhat neat.  So much digging to do unless I wanted to start my fort in one, which I have considered doing seeing as how kobold thieves are equally hateful, hateful dwarven society disruptors.

There is a worldgen parameter for the number of z-levels above the first cavern (Z Levels Above Layer 1).  You could increase that a bit so you have have plenty of uninterrupted space for your fortress.  You could also/instead increase the other "above layer X" parameters to make more space between the caverns.  "Above layer 4" seem to be (from my one test) between the third cavern and the magma, if you have three caverns set in the worldgen parameters (as is the default and the maximum).  Some people may find that an ideal place to build their fortress proper.

...or you could just get rid of the caverns, but what's the fun of that?

Edit: Just to see what would happen, I maxed all those parameters at 100 each and genned a world.  On a mountain where the surface goes from z158 to z149 (and not counting the 100 z-levels of sky above that), this map goes from z158 to z-375.

Spoiler: HFS-related spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:50:52 pm by Malicus »