Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: My First Genetic Purity Breeding Program!  (Read 15670 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: My First Genetic Purity Breeding Program!
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2010, 03:37:02 am »

Selectively breed alligators for the best hair.

Well, in 31.01 at least...
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2010, 03:43:26 am »

This post has inspired me. I'm selectively breeding elephants now.

The last two calves I slaughtered gave me over 100 meat each. Gigantic meat roasts will buy out the caravans.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2010, 04:39:56 am »

this post has inspired me to alter embark points so I can begin with a small herd of cattle, horses, and donkeys to carry out selective breeding with. also to cage every wild animal i can find. now if only i can wait until they're all grown to cull them...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2010, 07:40:59 am »

I really hope dogs will soon only have one color..or close to it anyway, although a gigantic chocolate dog with an ivory head would be cool looking...also my one male dog is gigantic/fat (Hopefully muscle can develop..sigh) and my females are all gigantic, hopefully they do well).

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2010, 08:42:25 pm »

Nothing cogent to add, but I had a ton of trouble finding this thread with the search, so I'm subscribing to get a look at your Mendelian and Mengelean escapades.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2010, 09:42:39 pm »

I really hope dogs will soon only have one color..or close to it anyway, although a gigantic chocolate dog with an ivory head would be cool looking...also my one male dog is gigantic/fat (Hopefully muscle can develop..sigh) and my females are all gigantic, hopefully they do well).

I am picturing that as literal chocolate and literal ivory and it is AWESOME.  also terrifying.  also probably procdurally generatable.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

JoystickHero

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:tileset]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2010, 09:49:06 pm »

I am picturing that as literal chocolate and literal ivory and it is AWESOME.  also terrifying.  also probably procdurally generatable.
The forgotten beast Mr. Fluffles has come! A great canine made of chocolate. It has a head of ivory stone. Beware its deadly bite!
JoystickHero's Capital Tileset (Simple. Clean. 16x16)
Quote from: Moosey
Really?  You passed up an opportunity to say "Urist McNugget"?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2010, 10:17:36 pm »

Has anyone tried breeding fb's?

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2010, 11:33:13 pm »

Has anyone tried breeding fb's?

"Careful, or you might tread on the toes of God ARMOK."
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2010, 11:53:50 pm »

I don't think they're capable of breeding.  Even if they were, you'd need to capture two of the same kind, which (to my knowledge) is impossible.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2010, 02:00:33 am »

I suppose so. Maybe we can mod dragons to mature in a few days, and create a race of superdragons?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2010, 02:04:10 am »

Minimum growth time is one year.

Any other dreams I can crush?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2010, 02:15:54 am »

Minimum growth time is one year.

I think that's changed, now, actually. In the raws where size by maturity level is listed, years and days are used to define growth stages. Example from dwarves:

Code: [Select]
These tags establish the growth phases of the creature's life.  The format is (BODY_SIZE|<year>|<day>|<average size>).

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:3000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:168:15000]
[BODY_SIZE:12:0:60000]

Looks like dwarves go from babies to kids at about a year and seven months old. We could probably make anything have a final maturity level at 0:1 (one day old).

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2010, 06:27:41 am »

This thread is awesome.

I think the traits of the animals should make more a difference in terms of results though.  There seems to be only minimal difference in quantity of meat yielded and no difference in quality which is a shame.   

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2010, 10:11:18 am »

The last two calves I slaughtered gave me over 100 meat each.
100 meat?  Buy a Jabanero from the Hermitage, combine with a Big Rock to make Heavy Hot Sauce, then combine with your Saucepan to make a 5 Alarm Saucepan (+7 Mysticality) ... Oh, wrong game. 
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7