Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: My First Genetic Purity Breeding Program!  (Read 15661 times)

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My First Genetic Purity Breeding Program!
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2010, 11:11:35 am »

It sounds like both muscle and size are multipliers to the amount of meat produced.

So
"Cat" = 1 Meat
"Incredible Muscles Cat" = 5 x 1 = 5 Meat
"Gigantic Incredible Muscles Cat" = 5 x 5 x 1 = 25 Meat

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2010, 11:38:17 am »

Something like that.  Maybe 1.5x1.5 = 2.25, rather than 5x5 = 25, but still along those lines.  Arena mode cats seemed to yield 6 meat almost all of the time, or occasionally 7 meat.  You definitely get lower variance with lower initial size (which makes sense, for obvious reasons).
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2010, 11:51:53 am »

Also, butchering an "very muscular and just gigantic overall" whale resulted in a stack of whale meat [1174]  :o
Not to mention the hundreds of lungs and livers and things.
"Gigantic with incredible muscles" had similar results.  Those two seem to be the best, so far.

Yeah, I've been thinking that maybe meat is TOO easy to come by now.  Not to mention all the stuff that the caravans bring.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2010, 01:19:22 pm »

Also, butchering an "very muscular and just gigantic overall" whale resulted in a stack of whale meat [1174]  :o
"Gigantic with incredible muscles" had similar results.  Those two seem to be the best, so far.

Yeah, I've been thinking that maybe meat is TOO easy to come by now.  Not to mention all the stuff that the caravans bring.
Honestly, a normal sized whale would probably produce enough food to make a meal for a thousand folk, let alone a gigantic one.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Igawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2010, 02:14:40 pm »

I just had an image of a wave of whale meat + organs exploozing out from the kitchens after deconstructing the butcher shop. It probably wouldn't, but still :)

If it was in one stack, I'd HATE to be the cook, as his ingredients are rolled in on a wagon. At least until they're put into the quantum cooking pot.

One question from a noob animal handler: how do you distinguish between livestock you have chained up and excess that you want to butcher in the z->animal screen?

EDIT: Btw, regarding the 'Gigantic Incredible muscles cat'.....edit the raws and make em trainable. Imagine a swarm of warcats who're all built like the hulk. And provide more meat than a regular horse upon butchering. Fuckin scary cats  :o
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 02:25:43 pm by Igawa »

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2010, 02:40:05 pm »

which gives more meat very fat or quite fat?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2010, 03:05:33 pm »

I think fat would only affect fat.

Size: Meat & Fat
Fat: Fat
Muscles: Meat

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2010, 03:06:38 pm »

Makes sense.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2010, 04:21:54 pm »

is there anything that effects milk output?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2010, 05:35:12 pm »

The only thing I'd think to check regarding milk is body fat, but I highly doubt its on anything more elaborate than a simple seasonal ticker.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2010, 05:43:17 pm »

Just thought I would pop in here and confirm that breeding is still performed via spores, so tying the animals up close together serves no purpose.  As long as you make sure you cage/butcher undesirables asap (before they reach adulthood at least) then proximity of animals is of no concern.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2010, 05:53:41 pm »

This thread has inspired me to begin a wolf breeding program.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2010, 10:22:12 pm »

This thread has inspired me to begin a wolf breeding program.
Same here! Those and the dozen or so unicorns that I've caught
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2010, 01:54:05 am »

Just thought I would pop in here and confirm that breeding is still performed via spores, so tying the animals up close together serves no purpose.  As long as you make sure you cage/butcher undesirables asap (before they reach adulthood at least) then proximity of animals is of no concern.

I am disappoint, but my chaining animals in packs shall continue regardless. You could be wrong, after all.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2010, 03:26:24 am »

Lol poor needlessly chained e-cows.  Also I'm gonna start a fort that only eats herd animal foods, I could easily start with 30 cows, etc.  Also I think meat is fine, a friggin Moose can feed a family of 4 throughout a winter.  Yeah for meat!

EDIT- for some reason I thought cows were like 45...doh.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:22:32 am by Snall »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7