Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: My First Genetic Purity Breeding Program!  (Read 15651 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My First Genetic Purity Breeding Program!
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 05:20:03 am »

I think this is where the DF-players-are-Hitler jokes go from being just jokes to still jokes but lose some of their irony.

Still. Someone has to open up a chain of McUrist's sooner or later.

I think that selective breeding =/= Hitler.

That said, I'm totally creating a master race from my most skilled, attractive dwarves. They will be strong, stocky and clever and come from only one part of the fortress.

Which will be the complete opposite of me, but I'll deny it vehemently and kill anyone who finds out.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 06:19:51 am »

Awesome. Now we need a way to trade our breeds with each other ...

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 06:27:47 am »

I think this is where the DF-players-are-Hitler jokes go from being just jokes to still jokes but lose some of their irony.

That said, I'm totally creating a master race from my most skilled, attractive dwarves. They will be strong, stocky and clever and come from only one part of the fortress.

Which will be the complete opposite of me, but I'll deny it vehemently and kill anyone who finds out.

For better or worse, eugenics has become associated with Hitler.

Also, be careful with attempting dwarven breeding programs. Toady talked about red-haired dwarves getting paranoid if their fellow ginger brethern start mysteriously dying.

As for the animal breeding program, that's pretty awesome that it works. Between that and increased yields from butchering, it looks like ranching is now a viable possibility. Are there any other genetic traits besides size, fat/skinny, muscular and color?

OTRaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 06:31:58 am »

That is awesome that selective breeding yields realistic results, add yet another fun element to the game.
Cloth is the new plate armor.
"Dwarves, arm yerselves! Take up yer ax! Don yer dresses!"

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 11:29:09 am »

There's nothing about cow-breeding that is even remotely Hitler-esque. It's an incredibly common practice.

Now, eugenics involved with sapients, on the other hand, is rather iffy...I'd much favor us being able to directly manipulate their genes rather than trying some sort of breeding program.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Primary

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 12:16:15 pm »

Did Toady include any of the downsides of improper animal husbandry?

archivis

• Bay Watcher
  • I am not here. Remember me not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 12:31:01 pm »

I think that's where all those half-animal men come from.

...I can't believe i just said that. :)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 12:32:41 pm »

I doubt it; diseases and more functioning organs (for the express purpose of death by them not functioning) got put off, so there's probably no recessive flaws or homogenity in disease resistance.

It's something to look forward to, though.

Also "belarded" is an awesome word.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 12:43:59 pm »

Has it been definitely verified that breeding between animals requires direct contact rather than happening randomly from any distance through solid walls via spores?  The ability to control which male creature impregnates a given female will make selective breeding easier.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 01:03:06 pm »

For better or worse, eugenics has become associated with Hitler.

Yeah, I'm more dredging up Hitler humour than actually figuring it's appropriately related. Mostly it's just the thread title that I think is funny (and the OP is in on the joke as of his first post) :P

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 01:04:57 pm »

Is the world prepared for the coming of Cow Hitler!? :P
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 01:06:57 pm »

Is the world prepared for the coming of Cow Hitler!? :P

I don't know if I'm more bothered by the fact that my first impulse was to google that or that the first result was exactly what I had pictured.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 01:17:08 pm »

Has it been definitely verified that breeding between animals requires direct contact rather than happening randomly from any distance through solid walls via spores?  The ability to control which male creature impregnates a given female will make selective breeding easier.

As in real life animal breeding you should probably only have one male and kill all the others.

Well actually in real life you would castrate all the non-breeding males and raise them to adulthood for meat, but in DF you probably just want to kill them before they reach sexual maturity to eliminate the possibility of them breeding.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 02:03:54 pm »

DF dwarfs can spay/neuter animals, they just haven't managed to figure out how to do it without butchering said animals in the process  :P
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 02:32:22 pm »

thanks to this thread I went and culled my undesired bulls, though I still didn't have a fully suitable bull. Fortunately the next calf that was born was a male with gigantic, sturdy, and well muscled, so I slaughtered his dad. I'll have to wait for maturity before breeding can continue, but it doesn't seem to matter much at the moment since my dwarves seem to only be interested in making horse cheese. (Also my Dog Cheese experiment has partially failed, though is currently delayed by unending goblin ambushes).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7