Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arena Mode - Dwarven Chess Match  (Read 1399 times)

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arena Mode - Dwarven Chess Match
« on: April 07, 2010, 05:22:10 pm »

Hi, all.  I've decided to put the arena to use in setting up the mother of all chess games.  Because dwarves lack patience, the game will neither have the opposing players take turns, nor move only one piece at a time.  Also, the idea that chessboards should not be strewn with corpses, limbs and teeth has been abandoned as needless peurile.

Dwarves are white, goblins are black. 

Dwarven pawns are the backbone of every fortress - eight steel clad warriors with axes and shields.  Medium skills.

Goblin pawns are typical gobbo invaders - sword wielding interlopers.  Only iron-quality gear.

Dwarven bishops are proficient marksdwarves armed with steel crossbows and 100 bolts.

Goblin bishops are proficien archers with iron gear.

Dwarven knights, in a break from tradition, are grizzly bears, grand masters of biting, fighting and dodging.  Why not, right?

Goblin knights are the beak dogs.  Same skills.

Dwarven rooks are elephants, because sometimes traditional values are important. 

Goblin rooks are trolls.  Ditto.

The dwarven queen is a dragon, because I've decided to throw common sense out the window.

Goblins queen is a hydra, for precisely the same reason.

Finally, the dwarven king is  ... a dwarf, grand master of axemanship, fully clad and armed in adamantine.  I know, my imagination is stunning...

His counterpart is a goblin, with exactly the same stuff.

As a caveat, the pawns on both sides only have one gauntlet, greave and boot.  This was an error on my part, but it makes them sound mode like gladiators, adn , what the heck, they're only pawns.

So without further ado, I signal the judge, hit the unpause button and see if the traditional Pawn to King 4 is used.

Is is not.   Before I could so much as gather my wits, both sides charged into battle, faster than I could track them.  The steam coming from the lava+water walls I made to enclose the arena hardly help visability, either.  Still, seeing both sides get raked by steam adds a certain something to tehe mix.  At first glance, the dragon is breathing fire on the hydra, at leaast one grizzly is unconscious due to a goblin's twohander, and the elephants are knocking goblins over.  I noticed that the dwarven king has eschewed the usual tactic of keeping one's king to the rear, and is hacking off a beak dog's legs.  He also had to block dragon fire, which is exactly why I had the foresight to include a friendly fire creature into the mix. 

As time passes, dwarven muscle starts to take the advantage.  One dwarf is bisected by the goblin king and his adamantine blade, but no fewer than 5 goblin pawns and a beak dog bleed to death. 

This trend continues.  White loses both grizzlies, an elephant and another dwarf, but gains ain return takes a hydra, every non-king gobbo on the field, both beak dogs and a troll.  That's some aggressively sacrifice-game from the white player, but I note that neither team bothered to casle.

And its finally over, as the goblin player admits defeat by allowing his king to bleed to death.  The remaining pieces are teh dragon (I did not expect that), four infantry dwarves, and their king.

Thus ends the tournament.  White player is expected to play Kasparov in the summer, where his "grab left third toes with upper arm" gambit may or may not pay off.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Arena Mode - Dwarven Chess Match
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:50:59 pm »

That was amusing, thanks!

Any plans for future chess matches with different pieces? Kobolds vs Ratmen, perhaps?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:12:31 pm »

This.

This is win.
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 02:33:22 am »

movie?
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 02:47:15 am »

The traditional third-toe counter is the production of a sock just off of F3. While the dwarves gather there, cut through E5 and take the offensive.
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 03:49:07 pm »

I gave this a shot. Had the dwarves all done, and accidentally hit unpause.

Whereupon i discovered that they were all set to independent. That was fail.

Magma solved everything of course. Well, except for needing a new area, but that's to be expected.

I think the best discovery was the puddle of elephant grease under the elephant sitting in 7/7 magma. The Elephant that just would not die.

I love this game.  ;D

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 04:17:52 pm »

This is brilliant.

I'm going out now to buy a hat so upon my return I can take it off to you sir.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 04:27:28 pm »

The dwarves couldn't lose with steel. That definitely wasn't even.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 04:52:15 pm »

Is this Chess or Archon?

If anything, the concept sounds more like Archon.

Plus, I think it's possible to change the arena to be a more suitable chessboard. Hell, take it to the next level and make a chessboard an arena, pieces and all as buildings you can battle in each square.

Well, at least the starting spots are more suitable mini-buildings, and between them are open fields. Alternatively, you can design all the chessboard squares to be isolated rooms that each unit can battle in without interfering with each other, keep the game more in the fashion of chess to some degree. But in that case, you may need either a network of tunnels or a sky-bridge to make it work properly, controlling each unit in adventure mode style.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:58:45 pm by Itnetlolor »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 10:48:28 pm »

Oh, this made my night.

I hope to see the promised match occur. Perhaps set up the entire tourney

ROUND ONE- FIGHT!

Goblins v Dwarves- DWARVES
winner plays