Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Uthargeshud - First Fortress [Community]  (Read 1738 times)

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uthargeshud - First Fortress [Community]
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:42:34 pm »

And he looked down upon the World which had been created and saw the beings sent from the other gods. Watching and waiting, seeing the mistakes of the others he slowly crafted his creatures into fine works of art. They would not live in the forests, valuing all forms of life like the elves, that could only lead to destruction, nor would they succumb to the complacency of human mediocrity. They would not tear through the world destroying all in their path like the Goblins, instead they would have greed. Greed, using it to methodically plan out expansions, and conquer the other races and destroy their gods while being able to tribute great wealth to him, but what should he call such a race, hmmm, perhaps Dwarves, yes that’s it dwarves.

He created a small group of seven and gave them a most precious gift, the knowledge of smithery

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This will be a Community game told from the prospective of a god watching over them from the sky. I personally have been playing dwarf fortress since the 2d version, but this new version is really looking good to me. I played occasionally on the old 3d version but it just seemed to be lacking something that the old 2d had, and i believe that the spirit of DF is back with this new version, at least for me. I decided i wanted to do a community fortress. I don't have a whole lot of time to play so updates might be kind of slow but I hope to do 1-2 a week  (hopefully each update should compose around 6m-1y of game time). The game starts in year 3 (the earliest possible year to start a fortress)

Here are the Dwarves, I'll be claiming the Expedition leader for myself. Feel free to give your dwarves goals/objectives. I will try to accommodate them if possible, but promise nothing.

------------------------------------------------
The Cast (to be continually updated)
------------------------------------------------
Founders
Sularus
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
UristMcgunsmith
Two
Nanothnir (Neyvn)
Opal (Haika)
Nuker W
Six

Migrants

Ast (miner)
Dumat (fisher)
Ingish (Herbalist married to melbil)
Fikod (butcher/tanner married to Udib)
Melbil (Potash maker married to Ingish)
Udib (Oraginzer married to Fikod)
Ingiz (miner)
Asen (glassmaker)
Shorast (speardwarf/farmer)
Urdim(Field worker)
Morul (brewer)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:34:11 am by Sularus »

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
Re: Uthargeshud - First Fortress [Community]
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:44:31 pm »

Dibs on first doctor  ;D

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:01:37 pm »

I'll take 5 make him a sherif/mason

« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 12:41:12 am by nuker w »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:24:50 pm »

I will take 3,
Name him Nanothnir,

He will be your Military Commander, An Axeman, but will work with wood until a replacement is found. Also make him work on your Seige Engines, preferally Ballista...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:33:01 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 11:32:07 pm »

Neyvn, They are all starting as peasants, so no skills sorry. I'll work towards getting him thoes skills though, and his goal.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 11:33:29 pm »

Editted and fixed, guessed that when I looked over everything again...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 12:33:03 am »

Etur, The Tin Diamond, watched the creatures he created rather curiously. The first of the ones to awaken from their slumber began to look around then quickly roused the others. He told them that he was starving and that they should find something for all of them to eat. He could tell that this dwarf would quickly become a leader.

Something in that dwarf's blood pulled him to the small wagon of supplies Etur had created for his dwarves and it immediately pulled out the anvil. Something pulsed through his blood and the dwarf quickly began to gather other supplies from the wagon and erect a workshop. Another dwarf still in a semi dazed state walked over to him and asked what he was doing and who he was.

The dwarf replied , 'I shall go by the name of Sularus and as to what I'm doing I'm not quite sure but it feels right'.
The other dwarf said ,' Well I'm Nuker W, Nuker for short, and I think I can help you, you will need more than just that small workshop of yours to use that anvil, let me go make some other buildings for you'.
Sularus- ' Do me a favor, and keep a watch out to see if any of the others start any trouble, one of them was giving me strange looks when I told him to go get me breakfast'.
Nuker-' It would be my pleasure, I believe I remember that as well, he did seem a bit odd'.

Etur watched them struggle for several days constructing the three buildings that he knew they would need to produce tools of metal. He noticed a dwarf who had chosen the name Nanothnir keeping a close eye on Nuker and Sularus, but he never approached them. As soon as the buildings were finished he simply went up to the wagon and proceeded to bust it into boards and scrap wood. Nanothnir quickly dragged the wood to one of the buildings they had created and lit a fire. He then threw the busted up wood into a small stone oven. He explained to Sularus that he was making charcoal, something that Sularus would need for the forges.

Etur Placed the images of a pick and an ax within Sulaurs' mind and the rest of the steps the dwarf would need to create the simple tools needed to build their empire. The dwarf worked for several days by himself within the buildings, taking more and more of the raw materials from their starting stockpile working fevorishly on these items. As his work came to its end, Nanothnir came to him and claimed one of his newly created items, the one he called an ax and began to fell trees and make barrels to store drink in. Another dwarf came and claimed his pick, and began do dig into the mountainside.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 01:14:46 am »

I would like to take 4, name her Opal, and make her a gem cutter/gem setter/engraver. For a goal, I'd like to see her encrust every last piece of furniture and at least smooth every interior wall of the fort, if not fully engraved.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 01:15:09 am »

Sounds and looks good, keep the good work up.

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 10:38:24 am »

Etur watched the dwarves working diligently through the spring, but foresaw something that might be the end of the fortress. More mouths to feed would make this winter a great hardship.

Spring had passed and already the forces of evil were on the move. The first fortress was not the only one Etur had started, there were several others scattered across the land. Early on one midsummer morning a small band of vile creatures stood on the edges of a place Etur dubbed the Eternal fortress. He knew what they had planned, they wanted the dwarves precious anvil for themselves so that they too might make mighty weapons from metal. The group out numbered the small group of founders almost six to one. As dawn started to break they began to slowly creep to where the dwarves were slowly arousing and preparing their morning mead and berries. They struck quickly and and without morals. They sent three goblins to each dwarf to pin them down, for they knew the dwarves were almost twice as strong as they. The other goblins went to work destroying the forge and stealing the equipment contained within.

One dwarf managed to beat off the captives holding him down and drew his pick. Several Goblin heads ended up with 3-4" holes in their temples. He quickly ran to the forge to attack the goblins and distract the ones holding down his friends. As he charged the forge letting out a terrible battle cry, the dwarves pinning the others let loose their captives and ran to the forge, screaming jibberish at him. He looked at his most dear friend, starting to stand and having the look of terror in his eye and said,' Run south, and do not look back'.

Etur new these six new mouths would be a terrible burden on the First fortress and had a pain of regret for he had great plans for the eternal fortress. He had not foreseen the forces of darkness moving so quickly. The least he could do was guide the homeless, leaderless  dwarves to another group to at least give them a chance of survival.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 11:05:15 am »

Dam, that was quick, are you going to start again or try to prevail through it?

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 11:12:53 am »

Six migrants isnt a terribly large issue, I should be able to get enough food, one of them was a herbalist so that helps, wow six more came early autumn as well... less than a year old and i'm up to 19 dwarves.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:18:58 am by Sularus »

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 11:28:58 am »

So who died from the goblin atack?

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 11:34:51 am »

No one, that was a story as to why they were migrating.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 11:36:55 am »

Ah hah you had me confused, carry on if you want
Pages: [1] 2