Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: When will Adventure Mode get some love?  (Read 2812 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: When will Adventure Mode get some love?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 05:50:24 pm »

I myself play adventure mode a whole lot more then fortress becuase it's easier to set up and get into.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 06:00:39 pm »

I myself play adventure mode a whole lot more then fortress becuase it's easier to set up and get into.
^ This.

I can make 50 kobolds and get ripped apart by wolves in a matter of minutes. Slowly succumbing to internal conflicts is not as easy to reproduce.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 06:07:07 pm »

Well...you can always embark without food or drink and spend the excess on fighting skills and weapons. That will produce results fairly quickly. :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 06:10:37 pm »

That's playing to lose, though. The fun part of losing is having your work crumble before your very eyes.

You make your Kobold. You love it. You reroll its name until it isn't retarded. You make it a female for no apparent reason. You give it a balanced set of skills, particularly high in Dodging and Spears. Now you're out and looking for a minotaur. You kill the minotaur while only getting punched once! You are now traveling back to report the good news. You're being torn limb from limb by 8 wolves. You are deceased. You are sad in real life. You make your Kobold..

You make a fort. You make a good fort. You make a great fort. Your settlement has crumbled after 8 hours of gameplay. You are depressed in real life. You cry.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 06:16:25 pm »

There are tears...mine just come from laughter.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dogmeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 06:18:17 pm »

I really can't wait intill medical skills are included in adventure mode. Dieing from wound infection sucks. :-[     

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 07:07:59 pm »

ok all the "Can't treat myself" Whining is bull, you can treat youreslf, just buy some medicinal suppiles at the local city, and use it accordingly, remove it and wear it for bandages, use it for stiches, and.. eat it for soap.
Nom nom nom

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 07:33:45 pm »

ok all the "Can't treat myself" Whining is bull, you can treat youreslf, just buy some medicinal suppiles at the local city, and use it accordingly, remove it and wear it for bandages, use it for stiches, and.. eat it for soap.
I have never seen "medicinal supplies" in a town.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 11:18:54 am »

main city's occasionaly have medical/cloth shops, rare though, in my current world, only one town had said shop.
Nom nom nom

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 11:30:07 am »

I disagree that magic will ruin Dorf Forts.  It's already in the list of things to do, and the way it's described there suggests it will be something unique and dangerous, using the procedural generation system to make magic different in every world.  I, for one, would like to see Demon Summoning.  Perhaps the Demon would be more powerful depending on how much Whatever you spent summoning it, but also harder to control, and if you're not careful it might just eat you and then go on a rampage through town, taking over and becoming a new hist fig.
Shoes...

LukeRM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 11:36:18 am »

Personally, I'd like the magic system to be a bit like that of Slaves to Armok 1 , except without
certain stuff like teleporting an enemy's heart or brain out being stupidly easy.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 11:54:49 am »

I'd love to see randomized magic for each world.. maybe get the gods aspects in on it, for the priests?  So head-priests of gods of rebirth, can bring the dead back, but it sometimes doesn't work, and a maddened zombie runs off and eats a cat?
Nom nom nom

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 12:01:38 pm »

There could be cool uses for magic sure. But I really hope for no 'magic missile!' crap. I think it would sort of ruin the universe of DF.

I like the way it is now, ground in reality more or less, but with mythical beasts and strange creatures.
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 12:17:01 pm »

Magic should really be a laborious thing, requiring large amounts of effort to produce powerful results. The idea of a "0-level spell" that damn near anyone can cast should be gotten rid of. Above all, magic should be rare.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 12:48:47 pm »

I think that wizards should have a nice way of training an apprentice...

The apprentice's entire job is to do the most difficult hauling jobs.
Like dragging water up 60+ z levels to fill up a tub for the wizard.
And having the wizard toss it out the window because the apprentice took too long. :D
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.
Pages: 1 [2] 3