Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: When will Adventure Mode get some love?  (Read 2808 times)

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
When will Adventure Mode get some love?
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:03:31 pm »

I was totally disappointed to see that AM got absolutely no attention in the update. I was at least expecting for Dragon Fire/Web Slinging to be possible... Whats worse is, I think the wrestling menu got even more fractured and disorganized with the update. Even the new injury system gimps players, as there are no doctors to provide amputations/crutches/gauzes.

Things I would love to see.
1. Firebreath/Webslinging added to the [F]ire menu.
2. Doctors
3. Self cauterization/treatment.
4. More organized wrestling menu.
5. More shops.
6. Made-to-order weapons/armor, especially if you're playing as Kobold or something and want smaller pieces.
7. Better "quest" system. It would make me cream myself if we could join armies and participate in seiges/ambushes.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: When will Adventure Mode get some love?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:06:11 pm »

Probably not until we reach version 40+, but even that's too optimistic.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 03:07:12 pm »

Adventure mode is so god damn fun though. I wish you could control individual dwarves in your fortress.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:20:02 pm »

You could always do a hermit challenge.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 03:21:51 pm »

Toady has said that he means to incorporate more Fortress Mode skills into Adventure mode after this release and bugfixing -

So give it a few months. It'll be an interesting change.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 03:27:00 pm »

Thats awesome :D

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 03:36:28 pm »

Toady has said that he means to incorporate more Fortress Mode skills into Adventure mode after this release and bugfixing -

So give it a few months. It'll be an interesting change.
Exactly, and Toady also mentioned that updates would come more often after this release, so its not even that far. Of course, he deserves some rest after the bugs he wants to fix and the merge are done.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 03:36:37 pm »

Do you mean sort of magic? I hope not, I think magic would ruin DF. Although there would be some things that could make adventure mode great which I think are planned. Like digging, hunting, chopping wood and stuff. making your own home would be amazing.

There's other things I would like as well, like as you said fighting with armies. And also maybe more varied cities, like a town market and rows of houses some with two stories and the odd basement that has kegs of beer in or something. Right now it's just houses dotted around with the odd boring shop, the leader lives in a damn hovel.

Maybe a marble palace or guarded castle for the king of the humans with wall around it and the farm plots and hovels outside the keeps walls, and dwarf fortress' looking like actual fortress'. There could be other fun improvements too, setting arrows alight from the fires you start for example.
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 03:38:49 pm »

Do you mean sort of magic?

I think he means like if you're in the arena, for instance, and are taking over a giant cave spider or a dragon or something and you want to use their natural artillery.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 03:39:29 pm »

I did not mean magic, as magic is a really stupid idea. What I meant was, while playing as a Dragon or Giant Gave Spider, being able to use their shooter-stuff through the fire menu.

This is why I love Adventure Mode. I was tasked as a Kobold to kill a minotaur and this is the outcome:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:41:10 pm by Iban »

Candlejack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 03:47:09 pm »

Adventure mode isn't the main appeal of the game. After all, it is called Dwarf Fortress.

I wish you could control individual dwarves in your fortress.
I think Toady stated that he doesn't want the player to have such direct control over their dwarfs. But special situations where you can ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL of a dwarf would be pretty awesome.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 04:01:48 pm »

Adventure mode isn't the main appeal of the game. After all, it is called Dwarf Fortress.

I wish you could control individual dwarves in your fortress.
I think Toady stated that he doesn't want the player to have such direct control over their dwarfs. But special situations where you can ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL of a dwarf would be pretty awesome.

Actualy, adventurer and dwarffortress mode, according to Toady's ideas, are to become more and more similar up to the point they'll actualy interect with eachother, so adventurer mode is a bit more then that. In fact even legends mode is pretty important, as it is planned to be implemented into worldgen in the form of books, scrolls, legends and whatnot.
Those are all future features though, there's alot to be handled first.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 05:17:09 pm »

I thought Adventure mode was what Toady had made initially, and DF was just sort of a side project that got more popular and took over.
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 05:25:12 pm »

I thought Adventure mode was what Toady had made initially, and DF was just sort of a side project that got more popular and took over.
Slaves to Armok I

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 05:35:10 pm »

Relative. Personally, I like adventure mode as much as I like fortress mode, and once more is added to it (Civilian skills), I don't even know how often I'll play fortress mode.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.
Pages: [1] 2 3